Made for big screens and close connections. Get access to free* texting, and high-quality voice and video chat built specifically for desktop.
MADE FOR DESKTOP, MADE FOR YOU
Type even faster, multi-task while video chatting so you never miss a moment and stay connected with desktop notifications.
SPEND QUALITY TIME IN HIGH QUALITY
Host one-on-one meetings or bring the whole group together with free*, high-quality voice and video chat features.
GET THE GROUP TOGETHER WITH ROOMS
Send a link to group video chat with anyone, even if they don't have Messenger. Host up to 50 people with no time limits.
SAY 'HI' IN LOW LIGHT WITH DARK MODE
Cut down glare from your screen in low-light situations, so you can stay in touch no matter when or where you are.
EXPRESS YOURSELF WITH STICKERS, GIFS AND EMOJIS
Tell your story with stickers, gifs and emojis when words aren't enough.
SHARE WITH FRIENDS
Send photos and videos to keep your close friends up to speed. Receive files for even more productivity.
*Calls are free over Wi-Fi but otherwise, standard data charges apply.
New! Messenger has a new look and more ways to connect with friends.
Ratings and Reviews
Red lines of death
Messenger is important to me.
The problems it has are fixable.
1. I write in a foreign language and as my language is not supported I get red lines under everything I write. This is on no other Messenger platform that I know of. Just fixing this problem would make it a 4 star and a recommend for everyone in the world.
2. Active users. Facebook should know that people generally don't use the "who's active" window and it is annoying to work when something is constantly updating and re-rendering on the screen. I generally scroll down a bit just so I don't have to see this disturbance. These are people I never talk to and it seems weird to show this on the main screen of the application.
3. File-sharing. Why can't the file-sharing be like online. There are too many files types that are not supported.
4. Dropping files or images into the input field. It sometimes doesn't work for some reason.
5. Search. I'd like for the search to be structurally better. It is hard to find things.
6. Calling. When I end a call I have to manually close the window for the call. Why doesn't it close by itself when the call ends?
I hope Facebook engineers get on this and make native apps great again!
Seems wanting to me...!
I just loaded this on my MacBook Air (late 2020 model), and have eto say that it seems like the UI is somewhat broken. There are simple functions on the UI that just don't seem to work as I would expect. For example: The Page Options icon (... in upper right of UI), when clicked nothing happens - UNTIL you click again just off the ... icon. Also If I click on my profile image (lower left of UI) NOTHING HAPPENS - until I click - once again - somewhere OFF that icon. Where selecting a particular conversation would seem to be the "meat and potatoes" of the App, even that doesn't work as it seems like it should. I click on the specific message in the list, and - you guessed it - NOTHING HAPPENS. If I then slide my mouse pointer off to the left margin, lo-and-behold, the message finally comes up. I just don't get this! It seems to be the LEAST INTUITIVE user interface (UI) I have ever seen. While the mobile App on my iPhone seems to behave ESACTLY as I would expect, this Mac Desktop incarnation is just the opposite. As a result, I will likely delete it and just use the iPhone (or iPad). Pretty sad!
First of all -- it is amazing how I can use Messenger app on my MacBook because I wouldn't like to have an iPhone and laptop at the same time, since they are all connected to the same account where we can communicating like iMessage, Messenger, WhatsApp, etc. Honestly, once this issues fixed for not receiving any notification (because I am deaf and i couldn't hear if it is ring me), for major issue is CPU and battery: my CPU is too high and battery went drain too fast, but my laptop isn't very old because I recently updated my new laptop since 6 months ago. By the way, it's beautiful feature when I can be able to enable dark mode to reduce my red eyes on the screen at night (still, doesn't help 100% due to screen). I would give three out of five, but this is still earlier verision of Messenger for macOS. I removed Messenger off of my computer but I will be looking forward to better-fixed version that come friendly support with our (in the world) computers' hardware. It's kinda funny when Messenger works like a charm on iPhone and iPad, but MacBook...
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Health & Fitness
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Browsing History
- Usage Data
- Sensitive Info
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Meta Platforms, Inc.
- 126.3 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Meta