MIDI Tape Recorder is an open source Audio Unit v3 plugin with a radically different approach towards MIDI recording.
MIDI messages are recorded and played back with the same accuracy and precision as audio recordings. Most modern DAWs, even at their highest resolution, still change the timing of MIDI messages to accommodate for their editing features. These changes impact the playback of your performance as MIDI messages get reordered and delayed, causing changes in how they influence sound, sometimes in very significant ways.
MIDI Tape Recorder records your performance exactly as you play it, just like an audio recorder, accurately reproducing every nuance of your performance.
MIDI Tape Recorder purposefully has no MIDI note editing, no quantization, no individual CC tweaking, nothing that you wouldn't do with audio. Instead, very expressive and ultra-dense MIDI streams are perfectly stored and reproduced. MIDI Tape Recorder excels at capturing and playing back expressive performances with MPE controllers and MPE MIDI plugins.
The controls are purposefully simple and intuitive, similar to a traditional four-track audio recorder, making it fun to record, play back and loop your MIDI performance. Even when recording non-MPE MIDI, MIDI Tape Recorder makes it easy to stay in the flow and be creative without being interrupted by the technical nature of most DAWs.
MIDI Tape Recorder makes no sound on its own and requires an AUv3 host to function.
• Four independent tracks for recording MIDI channel voice messages
• Sample accurate MIDI recording and playback
• Real-time display of active recorded notes and other received messages
• MPE support
• Multi-level undo and redo
• Overdub recording
• Punch in and punch out recording for automated regional overdubbing
• Automated storage and recall of all recordings inside the AUv3 host project
• MIDI file import and export for the project or each individual track
• Repeated playback with start and stop locators
• AUv3 parameters for all controls
• Snap to beat option for positioning playhead and start/stop locators
• Detection of MPE configuration message (MCM) reception for each track
• Envoy of MCM at start of play or when pressing the track's MPE button
• Host transport and host tempo sync
• Clear all recordings or clear a single track
• Crop session to new duration
• Fully resizable UI
• Activity indicators for MIDI input and output on each track
• Optional tool tips for every operation
• Optional per-track record enable, input monitoring, and mute
• Four virtual MIDI cable inputs if the AUv3 host supports it
• Support for AUv3 user presets if the host supports it
• Optional routing of first virtual MIDI cable to all tracks
• Fully open-sourced under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International, an approved Free Culture License
Ratings and Reviews
Captures the Human Performance
This is such an exciting plug-in that does exactly what I’ve been waiting for. It captures every nuance of my imperfect performance, and all the subtle human character of my unique movements. A performance recorder that doesn’t “correct” my input. I love being able to perform first, then try different sounds and instruments with that performance exactly how I played it. It’s a fresh and different approach to my work. I can’t believe it’s free! Please tip the developer for this wonderful piece of software.
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for your review, I'm happy that that MIDI Tape Recorder is so useful for you!
My first app review ever…
This app is so outstanding and excellent and all the good things that the other reviewers have already mentioned. Thank you for making this app, and should you decide to start charging for it you won’t get any complaints from me. BUT there is just one thing that doesn’t seem to be working correctly for me, and that’s the midi import function. Pressing the import MIDI file button shows me a list of “Locations”, fine. I wish to import a MIDI file from AudioShare, so I press on that icon and nothing happens. I presume correct behavior would then show me a column with all the AudioShare folders displayed. Is that correct? Similarly nothing also happens when I press any of the other “Locations” shown. Other than this one bug, this app is quite a dream come true.
Excellent little midi recorder
Does exactly what it promises and is super handy. No problems in AUM or Drambo. Negative reviewers should read the documentation and perhaps study up a bit more on how to work with MIDI and AUv3 plugins in their preferred host app.
Also, if you get really bizarre recordings that sound like some invisible, recently used IAA midi source app hasn’t closed properly - restart your device. 🙃
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Uwyn, LLC
- 2.6 MB
- Requires iOS 12.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.2 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Uwyn LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.