Midori is a Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for those who are studying Japanese, with 910,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and many features that will make your Japanese learning experience much easier.
• More than 180,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji).
• Words in example sentences are linked to the definitions.
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations.
• Over 730,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names.
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search words by kana or romaji, such as あき or aki
• Search kanji by drawing them. Our Japanese handwriting recognition can handle arbitrary stroke order.
• Search kanji by radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji
• Audio pronunciations (from speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• 3D Touch support
• Dark mode
• Universal app. Buy it once, run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
If you have any questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
Ratings and Reviews
I use this app everyday!
As an English speaker living in Japan for the past year and a half, I have found this app extremely helpful. I bought it when I had zero Japanese ability and now am studying for my n2 exam. I utilize almost all the functions of this app daily from studying vocabulary to looking up words I don't understand in daily life. I love that I can save words in my own lists for later study. The new updates including the additional "common" label for words as well as being able to write any stroke order have made this app even more convenient. When learning new vocabulary, I love that most words have multiple example sentences. Adding sentences to more words can make this excellent app even more outstanding. I think this app is worth every ¥$€£. Thank you!
The best Japanese dictionary app out there.
I feel like I need. to write another review for Midori. I’ve been using it for over 4yrs now and it has never disappointed. There are number of reasons I like it not the least of which is because I can look up words without clearing the search menu and it still separates and displays all the results. I also own another popular Japanese dictionary app “Japanese”, which I think it good, but I always go to Midori when doing some serous translations and tough Japanese reading. This app is definitely a must for serious Japanese learners!!! I’m not an employee for Midori, but I think you should invest in this app!
Great dictionary but lacks something invaluable
I’ve tried many Japanese dictionaries and Midori ended up being my favorite by far. Great functionality, minimalistic but easy to see design, good speed and the best kanji writing feature I’ve seen so far.
However, there’s one thing that’s keeping me from giving 5 stars to this app: it lacks cloud sync, which is something other apps have. It’s very frustrating to have to save my bookmarks in dropbox on the phone and then open, extract and save them in my iPad’s app. This takes out a lot of time since I use both devices often daily. I’ve thought about picking other dictionaries before multiple times due to this particular feature missing. I sincerely hope this will be implemented soon.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.