Midori is a comprehensive Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for Japanese learners, with 910,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and numerous features designed to enhance your Japanese learning experience.
• More than 190,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and a kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji)
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations
• Over 730,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names
• Japanese pitch accent
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search words by using kana or romaji, such as あき or aki
• Search words by capturing a photo. (Note: Only horizontal text is supported.)
• Search kanji by drawing them
• Search kanji by combining radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji
• Audio pronunciations (via speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• French and German definitions for some words
• Universal app. Run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
Follow us on Twitter at @MidoriApp
Acknowledgements: This application has included material from the JMdict (EDICT, etc.), KANJIDIC2, ENAMDICT, and KRADFILE dictionary files in accordance with the licence provisions of the Electronic Dictionaries Research Group. See https://www.edrdg.org/
Fix issues in bookmarks
Ratings and Reviews
Great but one downside
Firstly, I really appreciate this sleek app. It makes looking up words and seeing examples so easy, and I really love the writing support. However, there is one thing that feels like a bug. I mainly use this app while using my ipad. I open Midori as a Slide Over app. When writing kanji, a fantastic mini window pops up for me to start writing, however when I use the apple pencil, after one stroke the window immediately expands into the full writing window taking up the bottom part of my screen. If I only use my finger to write in the mini window, there is no problem; it only happens when using the apple pencil.
This isn’t the biggest deal, and I think you deserve 5 stars regardless. I’d love it if the apple pencil didn’t make the mini writing window expand, but it’s not going to stop me from using the app. Thanks again for the great app!
This is the best dual language dictionary I’ve ever used. I have heavily studied 4 languages and never seen anything like this. Because Japanese is so complex, with multiple alphabets, so many sounds meaning so many different things, so many different ways to say things, it’s overwhelming. But this app is highly organized. You can approach from grade level, to most used words, can save words in different folders, make notes, it breaks down how to write characters step by step…I just keep discovering more abilities with this app, it’s so cool.
One of my favorite things is that you don’t have to switch keyboards to look up a Japanese word, you can write out the sound/characters of the word/syllables using the English keyboard and it will present you with the Japanese characters
I use this app everyday!
As an English speaker living in Japan for the past year and a half, I have found this app extremely helpful. I bought it when I had zero Japanese ability and now am studying for my n2 exam. I utilize almost all the functions of this app daily from studying vocabulary to looking up words I don't understand in daily life. I love that I can save words in my own lists for later study. The new updates including the additional "common" label for words as well as being able to write any stroke order have made this app even more convenient. When learning new vocabulary, I love that most words have multiple example sentences. Adding sentences to more words can make this excellent app even more outstanding. I think this app is worth every ¥$€£. Thank you!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sukolsak Sakshuwong
- 200 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Sukolsak Sakshuwong