Midori is a Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for those who are studying Japanese, with 910,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and many features that will make your Japanese learning experience much easier.
• More than 180,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji).
• Words in example sentences are linked to the definitions.
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations.
• Over 730,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names.
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search words by kana or romaji, such as あき or aki
• Search kanji by drawing them. Our Japanese handwriting recognition can handle arbitrary stroke order.
• Search kanji by radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji
• Audio pronunciations (from speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• 3D Touch support
• Dark mode
• Universal app. Buy it once, run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
If you have any questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
Fix crash on launch.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I use this app everyday!
As an English speaker living in Japan for the past year and a half, I have found this app extremely helpful. I bought it when I had zero Japanese ability and now am studying for my n2 exam. I utilize almost all the functions of this app daily from studying vocabulary to looking up words I don't understand in daily life. I love that I can save words in my own lists for later study. The new updates including the additional "common" label for words as well as being able to write any stroke order have made this app even more convenient. When learning new vocabulary, I love that most words have multiple example sentences. Adding sentences to more words can make this excellent app even more outstanding. I think this app is worth every ¥$€£. Thank you!
This is hands down the best Japanese dictionary app out of all the ones I checked out for iOS. It does everything I would want out of an electronic dictionary. Look up words in English or Japanese by entering characters, or selecting radicals, or drawing the kanji. It automatically saves everything you look up to the history so you can refer to it later. You can also bookmark useful entries and organize them into folders. Each entry is very detailed: gives the definition, shows stroke order, gives example sentences, shows the relevant kanji's meaning, and let's you add notes. All words are cross-linked so you can easily jump to another entry. What a wonderful job this developer has done! Worth every penny!
I wouldn't survive in Japan without Midori
I've passed the JLPT N1 and have lived in Japan for the last five years. However, I use Midori wash l each and everyday whether to check the newspaper, to confirm the meaning of a sign I see outside, or to double-check a word that I heard during a meeting. It's so easy to use.
One small improvement I would like to see is the ability to put a folder within a folder in bookmarks a little easier. I come across so many words that I bookmark thanks to Midori and would love to be able to organize my lists a little better. Otherwise, this is an amazing app!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.