A beautiful, evolving map of the outdoors in your pocket. Natural Atlas is the ultimate GPS for your adventures: track & plan your trips – whether you’re into hiking, backpacking, cycling, boating, birding, or something less-common like foraging. Take geo-tagged photos, stay organized with 45,000+ note presets, record 100+ activities, and more.
A free Natural Atlas account is required to use the app. Recordings sync to your online profile & private recordings are available via an in-app upgrade.
■ THE MAP
The Natural Atlas Topo is a one-of-a-kind map of the United States outdoors you won’t find anywhere else on the App Store. It’s continually evolving and will improve with your use. It’s especially-polished in the Western USA. Browse online for free: https://naturalatlas.com
– Powerful, yet simple
– Works Offline
– 100+ Color-Coded Activities
– Switch Activities while Recording (e.g. Driving to Boating to Hiking)
– Stay Organized with 45,000+ Note Presets (Wildlife Species, Plants, Rocks & Minerals, and more)
– Browse 1000’s of Campgrounds, Boat Launches, Waterfalls, Hot Springs, Arches, and more (search everything on the map)
– Advanced Search: “SF Hikes”, “Giant Sequoias in Yosemite”, “Boat Ramps on Yellowstone River”, “Oregon Beach Accesses” (internet required)
– Take Geo-Tagged Photos
– Speed, Distance, and Elevation Stats
– Star Places as “Been To”, “Want To Go To”, or “Like” – Keep a to-do list of places you want to visit
– Follow Friends and members of the community to keep tabs on their outdoor adventures
– Note Segments: highlight difficult climbing pitches, animal tracks you’re following, etc
– Explore Thousands of Guides from high-quality publishers on the web. Find the right guide, then click through to their website (opens in your web browser)
– Import GPX Files on NaturalAtlas.com
■ OFFLINE MAPS
– Simply tap the blocks (≈10x10mi) you want available offline
– Use 3 offline blocks at any given time for free (enough for most day hikes)
– Upgrade for 250 Blocks (download entire regions)
■ CLOUD SYNC
Your recorded trips and notes (markers) automatically sync to your Natural Atlas account, available online at NaturalAtlas.com. Review & share your trips online with friends, family, and the Natural Atlas community
■ PRO SUBSCRIPTION
Upgrade to Natural Atlas Pro (billed yearly) to get more advanced tools for planning your next adventure:
– Map Printing (PDFs) on NaturalAtlas.com
– 250 Offline Storage Blocks
– Natural Atlas US Public Lands Map (based off BLM SMA data) – Shows FS (including inholdings), BLM, NPS, BIA, Bureau of Reclamation, State, and Private - Designed for the Western USA
– Sunrise, Sunset, Golden Hour Times, Moon Illumination Info
– Private Notes & Trips: Want to note a fishing hole but not publicize it? Mark it as private to make it for your eyes only
– Download GPX Files Online
You can subscribe & pay through your iTunes account. Manage your subscription via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
Subscriptions auto-renew unless turned off at least 24hrs before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24hrs prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
[Map Coverage] The Natural Atlas Map is United States only (excluding Alaska). The app works fine outside this area, but will show a third-party OpenStreetMap-based map (not available offline)
[Battery Life] We do everything we can to make the app low power when recording, but GPS is notorious for reducing battery life
[Sensitive Places] Notes of certain sensitive topics like petroglyphs are private by default whether you’ve upgraded to Pro or not
■ ABOUT US
Built in the Greater Yellowstone Area of WY & MT, Natural Atlas aims to be the premier outdoor map & platform for the US outdoors
This version adds a number of new features, bugfixes, an updated app icon and logo, and minor UI updates.
• Elevation Profiles: Visually see the climbs and descents of your adventure as you're recording and afterwards
• Pause Trip Recordings: Temporarily stop a trip recording if you don’t want to include a detour in your journey
• Trail Search: Search for any trail on the map
• External Link Sections: Place pages now have external link sections making it easier to go to the official website or Wikipedia page for that place
• Place Overlays: If you are on a river page, the river will be highlighted on the map (same goes for trails and more)
• Optionally update the public / private flag of all on notes of a trip when changing the trip's privacy settings.
• Bugfixes: Fixed broken website links on user profiles, fixed data sync issues when using the app across multiple devices, increased filtering of a elevation readings for more accurate elevation gain stats
As always, behind the scenes we've been continually hard at work to improve map coverage. If you like the app, we'd really appreciate a rating on the App Store to help bring more people to Natural Atlas.
Ratings and Reviews
Favorite hiking app
I have several hiking apps and Natural Atlas is my favorite! The topo maps are detailed and easy to read. I also like that my hikes are synced to my account so I can see them on my computer. When I'm planning a hike, Natural Atlas is where I go to study topo maps. The developers are also great! They respond quickly to emails and appreciate comments and suggestions. Thanks for this great app!
Beautiful maps, but...
These are by far the nicest maps I have used. They look beautiful and provide all the detail that one would want without seeming cluttered. However, the app lacks some of the user friendliness in the field that other hiking apps provide. Full screen mode as well as being able to see private notes and waypoints on the main map (without having to go through menus to find them)would go a long way in terms of creating a user experience that matches the beauty of the maps themselves, and that surpasses the value of the subscription price. As it stands, a better experience may be had by utilizing another topo app that licenses these maps.
I’ve been looking for weeks for this exact app. I cannot wait to use it. I haven’t yet but already know I’m going to love it. I was looking for an app to record where I forage and the type of berries so am able to return easily.
- Natural Atlas, Inc.
- 63.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Natural Atlas, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Subscription $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.