Download and view topographic maps covering the United States.
Topographic maps are useful for recreational activities such as hiking, canoeing, camping, fishing, mountain biking, geocaching, and exploring.
Choose from 2 map sources: USGS standard topographic or USGS hybrid topographic.
Download maps for areas of interest to view them later when you don't have Internet access or you don't want to use cell data.
Use location tracking to show where you are on the map, your elevation, and the accuracy of the GPS signal.
Flags are included with map downloads. Add flags (waypoints) to the map to mark your current location or other locations. Import flags from other sources using GPX files and geocache LOC files. Share flags with others using email or AirDrop. Organize your flag types by color, for example, geocaches, trailheads, and summits.
Trails are included with map downloads. Import trails (tracks) using GPX files you find on the Internet or from your personal GPS track collection. Share trails with others using email or AirDrop. Organize your trail types by color, for example, mountain bike trails, hiking trails, and OHV trails.
Record your own trails to show where you've been on the map, follow them later, and share with others.
Recorded trails include an elevation profile (distance/elevation chart).
Navigate to a flag by following the direction arrow that uses your compass heading. Useful for geocaching.
Measure the distance between points on the map.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Fixed issue with trail recording distance appearing farther than actual distance travelled.
- Trail recording continues in locations with a limited GPS signal.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A great tool!
So far i am liking this app really well. It took me a bit to figure out some things - like down loading the map squares. But it seems to work well for looking at the map and seeing where you are.
One item about this app that i think is killer is the distance drawing facility. One selects the measure option and then draw lines on the map then you see how long that route is.
It doesn’t appear to do some other things one might expect, like track you route, but what it does it does well and i prefer that!
This is a really excellent topo app without the silly cloud or social features that seem to be commonplace on nearly all other topo map apps. Thanks developer! I owe you many beers for all the trouble this app has gotten me out of in the mountains.
Some of what makes this app great:
- Doesn’t require a user account to access the publicly available topo and imagery base maps. Just download before you go, then turn off Map Management to hide the download maps interface.
- Allows you to save the maps for offline use which is the cure function all such map apps should have but in reality many others do not. Let’s be realistic, when you’re in the mountains you won’t have cell service and this developer gets it.
- Can trace your route, drop flags, and categorize and hide them to reduce map clutter.
- Can get your GPS location instantly (new awesome feature, and useful for emergencies)!
- Uses little battery when tracing and less when not tracing. I was seeing ~10-15% for a half day of hiking on an iPhone 8. (If you are seeing high battery drain, it’s not this app. It’s probably your other background apps refreshing. Turn off background app refresh for useless apps, or toggle low battery mode to disable it globally and you’ll see that this app uses minimal battery. Also, use airplane mode If you’re not in a service area.)
- Map export is reasonably easy: send via email, or bulk export via a simple freeware, no-install WebDAV program.
Better than paid apps
If I could rate one app 6 stars I would choose this one. It uses highly detailed maps and features a very intuitive and simple interface without sacrificing features. And it’s 100% free! No ads, no subscriptions, no rubbish: it just works from the second you download it. I just used it on a trip to Colorado and it allowed me to find several unique points of interest that other apps (one which I wasted money on) completely missed. Much respect for Topo Maps. I sincerely hope it can stay this good and is not ruined by future updates. I would gladly donate to support it.
- David Crawshay
- 13.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2020 David Crawshay
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.