At Google Nest, we make products that are beautiful, helpful and easy to use. The Nest app is no exception.
Control your Google Nest thermostat, arm and disarm your Google Nest Secure alarm system, see your home with Google Nest Cam, and get an alert if Google Nest Protect goes off – all in one place. And receive notifications on your iPhone or iPad.
Nest uses sensors, algorithms and the location of your phone to do the right thing automatically, turning off the heat and turning on the camera when you leave. Forget to set the alarm? It will notice, and send you a Remind Me alert.
Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E
Thermostats that program themselves to help you save energy.
- Change the temperature from the subway or the sofa using your phone.
- See how much energy you used, and why.
- View and edit your schedule.
- Get extreme temperature alerts before your home gets too cold.
Nest Secure alarm system
- Arm and disarm your home remotely from the app.
- Receive a Remind Me alert if you leave home and forget to set the alarm.
- Receive a security alert on your phone telling you what triggered the alarm – a door or window opening, or someone entering a room.
The smoke and carbon monoxide alarm that thinks, speaks, and alerts your phone.
- Get an alert if Nest Protect senses smoke or carbon monoxide. (Requires Wi-Fi and a working internet connection.)
- Silence an alarm from your phone with App Silence. (Nest Protect 2nd gen only.)
- See the status of your batteries, sensors, and Wi-Fi connection.
- Run a Safety Checkup to test all your alarms at once. (Nest Protect 2nd gen only.)
- See your Safety History so you know when alerts happened and why.
Nest Cam IQ Indoor and Outdoor, Nest Cam Indoor, Nest Cam Outdoor, and Dropcam
The security cameras that let you see your home on your phone, inside and out.
- Get alerts when there’s activity, and talk back to get someone’s attention.
- See what you missed with snapshots of the last three hours.
- Check in 24/7 with crisp 1080p HD video (Nest Cam and Dropcam Pro only).
- Get person alerts (or familiar face alerts with Nest Cam IQ) and up to 30 days of video history when you subscribe to Google Nest Aware. (Subscription service sold separately.)
Know who’s knocking.
- 24/7 video streaming means you’ll never miss a moment.
- Designed to show you everything at your doorstep – people head to toe, or packages on the ground.
- Knows the difference between a person and a thing.
- Notifies you about visitors, even if they don’t ring the bell.
- HD Talk and Listen lets you have a seamless conversation with someone at your door.
- When you can’t answer the door, quick responses let you reply to visitors with prerecorded audio messages.
Nest x Yale Lock
The lock for a more secure connected home.
- Instead of sharing keys, assign passcodes to people you trust in the Nest app.
- Get an alert when someone locks or unlocks the door.
- With Home/Away Assist and Auto-Lock, your door can lock itself when you leave.
Some features require a working internet connection, Wi-Fi, and/or Bluetooth.
Bug fixes and enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Poorly Designed App
I only have a Nest Thermostat so can’t comment on the experience for multiple Nest products, but the app’s control of the Thermostat is a shockingly bad user experience. The main interface is poorly designed and the thermostat often lags or doesn’t respond at all to changes in temperature settings.
However, the most glaringly poor design element is the Schedule feature. The UI for this is asinine. Changing temperature settings with its weird sliders is extremely finicky and doesn’t take into account the notch or screen width on iPhone X. This means there are certain times of day you simply can’t schedule! This feature also can only be used in landscape mode. I can’t think of a single app (that’s not a game) that forces you to use landscape for one of its core features.
Using this app is extremely frustrating and it is confusing why Google would let the halo product of their smart home ecosystem have such an embarrassingly poor digital experience. They should break out Nest security into a separate app and focus on making their thermostat app (not rocket science from a design standpoint) a passably enjoyable experience. I really hope someone at Google reads this as I am a big fan of the Nest hardware and most Google software products.
Bring back Apple Watch, home automation support!
Reading the announcement about the discontinuation of Apple Watch support, I’m disappointed. Though I am one of the users that is apparently in the minority, I use the app most summer nights when I get into bed for the night. I adjust the temperature in the house one last time before going to sleep.
With discontinuation of the Works with Nest program, I sure hope the new program has sufficient feature capability - I want to control my thermostat with Homeseer automation. The Homeseer message boards show a lot of uncertainty around this transition and I don’t want to spend $30 for a plug-in if the API it uses will be discontinued or deprecated.
Please also make it possible in the phone app to mark messages read in batch. I tend to read them in groups and I don’t like having to click into each message one by one to mark them read.
From best to worst
Within the last year of your app history, you’ve had 25 updates and it still doesn’t work for most of us. It’s sad to say for a company that anybody would have trust in. For some of us, we are getting an alert of having two authorized identifications for the thermostat to work for us. Even though we're set up, it still asks us to set it up again and again. Also, you’re having people to go over and turn it on or off manually.
It’s like taking medication with side effects and have to be put on other medications that have more side effects to solve the problem you had from the original medication you've started out with. Go back to the drawing board of the developer to help you out with this problem. It sounds like you couldn’t stand alone to get problems solved. Dump the company you partnered with and go somewhere else to have your app reconfigured to work right or you’ll get more bad reviews over and over again from us customers!!!
- Nest Labs, Inc
- 417 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-18 Nest Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.