An app designed by and for weather enthusiasts, NOAA SuperRes Radar is the only app in that offers access to stunningly beautiful super hi-resolution radar mosaics for the continental US. SuperRes radar has 4 times the resolution of typical weather radar products (250 meters vs 1000 meters), so you will be able to view storm features that can't be viewed in ordinary radar apps. No other app delivers radar mosaics with this kind of accuracy in such an easy to use package.
In addition to SuperRes Level 2 radar, NOAA RadarUS+ offers access to 3 km hourly forecast radar and the following features:
- 3 and 6 day precipitation and pressure forecasts from NOAA weather models
- Temperature overlay
- Snow/mixed precipitation display (only on 1km base reflectivity radar layer)
- 7 day forecasts and current conditions -- just press and hold for a second on the radar map.
- Severe weather (flash flood, tornado, and severe thunderstorm) warnings. Tap on a warning box to display the full warning message from the National Weather Service. Note: these are *not* push alerts. The app must be open to view the warnings.
- Cloud cover and satellite imagery for the continental United States
- Advanced radar layers (echo tops, composite reflectivity, and storm total precipitation).
- Play, pause, and step animations
- Fast zoom in and zoom out
- Choice of radar palettes
- Multiple map styles (terrain, map, satellite, and hybrid)
- Displays time of radar image either as absolute time or relative to the current time
- GPS locator that finds and displays your current location
- Adjust the transparency (opacity) of the radar or cloud cover overlays
- Radar clutter filtering and smoothing
- Automatic refresh when new radar or cloud cover data is available
- Search for a location by zip code, city name, or address
- Legend for radar and cloud cover overlays
- Saves and restores your last location and zoom level
Note: Radar coverage only includes the continental United States. Alaska, Hawaii, and other US controlled territories are not included.
Please follow our Twitter stream at twitter.com/shuksansoft for breaking news and status updates.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best Radar App
I have had this App for about 2 years now, I kept delaying doing a review, so I'm finally doing it now. I use this App daily to get realtime, accurate, local weather everywhere I go in the US; I can't say anything bad it, this is the only App I've tried that I can say this about. When storms are in the forecast, I use it multiple times a day to track the storms so I can plan around them, or advise my family of severe weather headed their way; 2 of my younger grandchildren are now becoming aspiring meteorologist thanks to this App! If you don't have it, and you want to keep up with weather wherever you are, get it; you won't be disappointed!!!
As this weather app kept asking me for a review every time I opened it, here it is, though I doubt Apple will publish it; negative reviews for this app, mysteriously, are well-buried.
I’ve had this app for years, but didn’t use it because it wasn’t as good as my favorite one, the popular Hi-Def US Radar app that had an epic meltdown last year.
This app has also had a meltdown as far as I’m concerned, and am removing it. Though it has a number of features I liked, they don’t work anymore. The “water vapor” radar images are split and shifting when opened, and more annoying is that the current weather radar images don’t move when the map is moved (zoom in or out, the storm images remain over whichever area you’re focusing on). The app seems to be experiencing the same glitches and issues my former favorite weather app did when it was being abandoned by its developers. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to find a replacement for this, and what I look for is one that has frequent updates which indicate an effort by developers to maintain function and relevancy for users. Obviously (see the updates for this one) this app doesn’t meet that standard.
NOTE: Trying to get app support is a joke. The developers refer you to Apple to “fix” your device. It’s not the device that needs fixing, it’s the app. Or you can uninstall/reinstall: doesn’t work. Or you can contact them: email them and get no response. Or just delete the app and find one from another developer. Check.
Preforms as needed
I've been using this app for radar mostly and it has it's quirks that I've become used to. Mainly the zooming feature has some difficulty scaling the image to the specific map selected, which is remedied by slightly adjusting the zoom and the overlay snaps to a more clear and accurate location. That said, once I acclimated to the rest of the app it was very easy and surprisingly accurate for the primary function of radar, as for the forecast and satellite, I prefer to use other data sources. This is a basic source for me and chasing storms is not my thing, but I do enjoy keeping up with the weather in ways that most people do not.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.