Dual Radar US is the only app in the app store that provides beautiful super hi-resolution (250 meter) radar mosaics for the continental United States AND images directly generated from raw Nexrad Level 3 station data. This lets you either view the big picture of what's going on with the weather, or view radar products that can't be combined into a mosaic, such as multi-scan level reflectivity, velocity, and dual polarization radar. Believe it or not, we offer access to about 40 different radar products.
But we didn't stop there! We also provide access to severe weather warnings, storm tracks, hurricane tracks, hourly precipitation forecasts, 7 day point forecasts, current temperature overlays, jet stream maps, and 3 and 6 day precipitation forecast precipitation and pressure maps and more.
If you're a detail person, feel free to read our complete list of features:
- Super resolution (0.25 km) radar composites
- Standard resolution (1 km) radar composites
- Most Nexrad station products, including reflectivity, composite reflectivity, base and storm velocity (all at 4 scan angles), vertically integrated liquid, echo tops, one hour and storm total precipitation.
- Most Nexrad dual polarization products, including differential reflectivity, correlation coefficient, specific differential phase, and hydrometeor classification at 4 scan levels
- 3 and 6 day precipitation and pressure forecasts from NOAA weather models
- 3 day jet stream forecast
- Temperature overlay
- Snow/mixed precipitation display (only on 1km base reflectivity radar layer)
- 7 day forecasts and current conditions -- just press and hold for a second on the radar map
- Hourly predicted radar
- Severe weather (flash flood, tornado, and severe thunderstorm) warnings. Tap on a warning box to display the full warning message from the National Weather Service. Note: these are *not* push alerts. The app must be open to view the warnings
- Cloud cover and satellite imagery for the continental United States
- Advanced radar layers (echo tops, composite reflectivity, and storm total precipitation).
- Play, pause, and step animations
- Fast zoom in and zoom out
- Choice of radar palettes
- Multiple map styles (terrain, map, satellite, and hybrid)
- Displays time of radar image either as absolute time or relative to the current time
- GPS locator that finds and displays your current location
- Adjust the transparency (opacity) of the radar or cloud cover overlays
- Radar clutter filtering and smoothing
- Automatic refresh when new radar or cloud cover data is available
- Search for a location by zip code, city name, or address
- Legend for radar and cloud cover overlays
- Saves and restores your last location and zoom level
Note: Radar coverage only includes the continental United States. Alaska, Hawaii, and other US controlled territories are not included.
Note: Our Notification Widget is no longer supported due to MapQuest's decision to no longer offer a map tile service.
Please follow our Twitter stream at twitter.com/shuksansoft for breaking news and status updates.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Simple and highly informative if you’re a visual learner.
I tend to use a weather app when there are storms around and have no interest in what most other apps offer, lots of written information and pretty pictures, flipping back and forth between pages full of itty bitty rather useless information.
Functionality summary: please read item 3
1) It opens up to the map position and radar settings of your choice (many, many settings options) - it doesn’t forget last radar map position or radar setting choice. You will need to touch the icon at bottom left so it will determine your current location.
2) It can be set to play individual radar stations throughout the country (selected by touching a black dot at the station’s map position) or play combined radar stations (no need to select) what’s combined.
3) Here is the really big deal. Touch and hold a finger on a map location (about 3 seconds) and a drop down box spills out onto the map showing current conditions and 7 day forecast for that map position. Forecast uses nicely informative icons, not a lot of reading. Touch again and it’s gone. Everything is on one screen.
4) Resolution is excellent. Storm cell movement is good. Storm tracks can be added and other enhancements like storm cell cloud echo tops, predictive radar, etc. etc. (does not offer arrow wind flow patterns)
5) User friendly. I’m happy with it.
6) Priced fairly, good value at $3.99. Not a subscription at this time. I don’t do subscriptions.
Best Radar App for iOS
👍🏼 Dual Radar is the best Radar app I've used for iOS. The level of detail at the Super Res level is outstanding. The app is simple yet accurate. I use Weather Bug as my main forecast app however whenever I need to check the radar, I use Dual Radar. It's right there on my home screen at the top 👍🏼
Fastest load - great radars
I’ve had this app for a while now. I gave this 2 stars at one point bc the radar-in-motion widget no longer works (@ Mapquest fault); but this is the fastest loading radar map I have found. Hi-res and velocity are stellar and the zoom stays where you previously left it when you reopen the app.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.