Students use Pattern Shapes to explore geometry and fractions, creating their own designs, or filling in outlines. As they work with the shapes students explore geometric relationships, think about angles, investigate symmetry, and compose and decompose larger shapes. Many of these explorations lead naturally to thinking about fractions as parts of a whole.
This virtual version of pattern blocks is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use iPads. Pattern blocks are a key model used in Bridges in Mathematics, second edition. Online preview available at: www.mathlearningcenter.org/bridges
• Rotate shapes in increments of 5 degrees.
• Measure angles with the protractor tool.
• Duplicate and change the color and size of shapes.
• Fill the built-in outlines with shapes or create your own.
• Choose between a triangular or square grid, or use a blank background.
• Use the drawing tools to annotate work and show understanding.
• Write equations and expressions with the text tool.
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976. Our mission is to inspire and enable individuals to discover and develop their mathematical confidence and ability.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education. Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
New features added to the math text tool:
• When fractions are created using the text tool, they are automatically converted to the stacked fraction format.
• More symbols for writing equations and expressions.
Ratings and Reviews
Fun and useful math tool
This app is great to use as I teach math concepts to my children, but it is also just fun to play around with! I like that I can design my own shapes to fill in an save them. The protractor feature will be useful soon as we introduce measuring angles. Easy, free and no ads!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.