Students use Pattern Shapes to explore geometry and fractions, creating their own designs, or filling in outlines. As they work with the shapes students explore geometric relationships, think about angles, investigate symmetry, and compose and decompose larger shapes. Many of these explorations lead naturally to thinking about fractions as parts of a whole.
This virtual version of pattern blocks is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use iPads. Pattern blocks are a key model used in Bridges in Mathematics, second edition. Online preview available at: www.mathlearningcenter.org/bridges
• Rotate shapes in increments of 15 degrees.
• Measure angles with the protractor tool.
• Duplicate and change the color and size of shapes.
• Fill the built-in outlines with shapes or create your own to share with others.
• Choose between a triangular or square grid, or a blank background.
• Hide and reveal work with resizable covers to create your own problems and model strategies.
• Use the drawing tools to annotate work and show understanding.
• Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
• Share your work by saving an image or providing a share code to others.
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976. Our mission is to inspire and enable individuals to discover and develop their mathematical confidence and ability.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education. Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
• Share your work by saving an image, url, or code.
• Create custom outlines and share them with others.
• Enter text directly from your keyboard.
• Hide and reveal shapes or text with resizable covers.
Ratings and Reviews
I really like this app, it is fun and useful. I like that you can change the color of the shapes and that you can resize it. There is only one tiny thing that could be fixed. I wish there was a library so I can see what I made in the past, but overall it a wonderful, great app.
Fun and useful math tool
This app is great to use as I teach math concepts to my children, but it is also just fun to play around with! I like that I can design my own shapes to fill in an save them. The protractor feature will be useful soon as we introduce measuring angles. Easy, free and no ads!
You can draw
I mean I don’t like math but I do like drawing so I got this game and liked it so I kept drawing every single day and it even got better and when I was drawing my dog lick my toes then I ran away.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Math Learning Center
- 3.8 MB
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 The Math Learning Center