The gold standard diagnostic tests for DVT and PE are invasive venography and invasive pulmonary angiography (and autopsy). These tests are invasive, time consuming, technically challenging, and sometimes not feasible for a highly ill patient. No single alternative test alone is quicker, easier, less invasive, and as accurate. But combinations of tests starting with clinical scoring systems for pretest probability followed by sequential labwork and imaging can almost always do the job. The only problem is that the algorithms involved are very hard to memorize and keep straight. That's where a point-of-care guide like this comes in. The app offers 1 algorithm for DVT diagnosis and 2 algorithms for PE diagnosis, as well as discussion of diagnostic approach and workup of hypercoagulable state.
The app addresses such common questions as:
* what are the Wells clinical criteria and scoring systems for DVT and PE?
* in which situations will a D-dimer alone rule out DVT? how about PE?
* how can I use the rarely definitive VQ scan to diagnose PE, and what other tests might I need to use along with it?
* how can I safely and effectively evaluate for PE in a pregnant patient?
This app is written and intended for practicing clinicians like internists, hospitalists, family physicians, obstetricians, ER and urgent care docs; for resident physician trainees; and for medical students. As an educator and clinician, I am interested in feedback and I would be grateful for guidance on improving the tool.
Added the recently published and validated protocol for PE evaluation in pregnancy
Ratings and Reviews
Please update! I unfortunately can’t say whether it’s useful or accurate because I can’t use it on my iPhone 6.
- Joshua D. steinberg
- 1.8 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2018 Joshua Steinberg MD and HeeRak Kang MD
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.