Description: Preop Eval organizes and presents much of the guidance that one needs in order to evaluate and prepare adult patients for non-cardiac surgery. It is based upon the guidelines on this topic from the American College of Cardiology of 2014, the European Society of Anaesthesiology of 2011, the American Society of Anesthesiologists 2012, the Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement of 2014, the American College of Chest Physicians of 2008 & 2012, and more (full references in the app). The app contains 1 algorithm and 3 resources: the cardiac evaluation algorithm, guidance on starting and stopping key medications in the perioperative period, guidance on timing of surgery after cardiac events, and guidance on preoperative testing. It also contains a review of preoperative evaluation mainly for students and residents.
The app addresses such common questions as:
- who needs bloodwork before surgery?
- who needs an EKG or a CXR?
- how do I handle patients on Warfarin, Clopidogrel, and DOAC's?
- which patients are recommended to get perioperative B-blockers or statins?
- which active cardiac conditions preclude surgery?
- how long after MI should a patient wait before surgery?
- who needs bridging Heparin therapy, and which Heparin might I use?
This app is written and intended for practicing physicians like internists, family physicians, and hospitalists; for resident physician trainees; and for medical students. In addition to being a reference, the algorithm is written to be a teaching tool by not just delivering an answer, but instead walking a physician through the evaluation process so that one learns that process along the way. As an educator and clinician, I am interested in feedback and I would be grateful for guidance on improving the tool.
- updated preop EKG recommendations
- reorganized guidance on periop blood thinners (anticoag, anti platelet) mainly linking to excellent external sources since the topic has become so complicated
- added guidance on periop DOAC's
- updated for latest iOS standards
Ratings and Reviews
Newer app works: PreopEval14, same author
UPDATE: he wrote a new app called PreopEval14 and it seems to work. Delete this one and go download that one.
Re: THIS app: I get no response when clicking on anything inside the app anymore...maybe since recent iOS updates?
Used to be a great resource
Once the update for the new version of iOS is available it will be great again! Unfortunately it doesn't work with the latest software. Please update ASAP
Still not working with new iOS
even after upgrade today ... please fix ... 5 stars when working
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Joshua D. steinberg
- 4.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2021 Joshua Steinberg MD
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.