Description: Preop Eval organizes and presents much of the guidance that one needs in order to evaluate and prepare adult patients for non-cardiac surgery. It is based upon the guidelines on this topic from the American College of Cardiology of 2014, the European Society of Anaesthesiology of 2011, the American Society of Anesthesiologists 2012, the Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement of 2014, the American College of Chest Physicians of 2008 & 2012, and more (full references in the app). The app contains 1 algorithm and 3 resources: the cardiac evaluation algorithm, guidance on starting and stopping key medications in the perioperative period, guidance on timing of surgery after cardiac events, and guidance on preoperative testing. It also contains a review of preoperative evaluation mainly for students and residents.
The app addresses such common questions as:
- who needs bloodwork before surgery?
- who needs an EKG or a CXR?
- how do I handle patients on Warfarin, Aspirin, and Clopidogrel?
- which patients are recommended to get perioperative B-blockers or statins?
- which active cardiac conditions preclude surgery?
- how long after MI should a patient wait before surgery?
- who needs bridging Heparin therapy, and which Heparin might I use?
This app is written and intended for practicing physicians like internists, family physicians, and hospitalists; for resident physician trainees; and for medical students. In addition to being a reference, the algorithm is written to be a teaching tool by not just delivering an answer, but instead walking a physician through the evaluation process so that one learns that process along the way. As an educator and clinician, I am interested in feedback and I would be grateful for guidance on improving the tool.
- turned references listings into hotlinks direct to original documents or to PubMed
- hotlink for feedback email
Ratings and Reviews
Used to be a great resource
Once the update for the new version of iOS is available it will be great again! Unfortunately it doesn't work with the latest software. Please update ASAP
Still not working with new iOS
even after upgrade today ... please fix ... 5 stars when working
Unfortunately it doesn't work with latest iOS 8.02
- Joshua D. steinberg
- 2.3 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 17+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2016 Joshua Steinberg MD & HeeRak Kang MSIV
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.