Have you ever arrived at a performance only to discover that the singer has decided to change the key at the last minute? Sure, you could sit down and transpose your prepared charts, but that takes time: time that you might not have available at that moment.
And what about those folders of chord charts you have sitting on your shelf, taking up space? Surely there’s got to be a better system for storing all that sheet music.
Progressions is an app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, which allows you to store, organise and transpose simple chord charts, enabling you to use your device as a customised music display, or simply as a catalogue of the songs that you love to play.
You only need a basic understanding of chords for this app to transform the way you store written music, making the app perfect for beginners and professional musicians alike.
Charts are entered as completely free text, and can include song lyrics, notes about the song, shorthand instructions, section titles, etc. Progressions cleverly isolates the chords within the chart, allowing it to be transposed into any key you choose.
• Easily enter chord charts with lyrics or notes, or import text files.
• Create “sets” of charts for playing from in performances or practice sessions.
• Transpose charts to any key, on the fly.
• Print charts wirelessly using AirPrint.
• Send PDF copies of charts via email.
• Adjust display settings such as brightness, auto-lock and font size.
• Backup and restore your charts database.
Hey everyone! I've been incredibly busy with other work lately, but since I received a few emails about some fixes that are honestly quite overdue, I took some time to dive in and get them sorted. Mostly a bunch of crashes… here's some deets on the more juicy items:
- New(-ish) iPads without home buttons should now have proper support now. There's really no reasonable excuse for why this hadn't happened yet, but at least it's done now? Right?
- There was a small issue causing huge problems on first launch, where the app would crash because it needed to update a back button that wasn't loaded up yet. Took care of it, no need to worry yourself anymore.
- The guide file wasn't being correctly included in the shipped app, which meant that if you tried to open the guide without internet, there'd be hell to pay. No one wants that, so I fixed it to make sure it doesn't happen again.
If you're having issues or want to make a suggestion, I always try to be available to help out… even if Progressions isn't something I'm able to work on full-time. Toss an email my way via firstname.lastname@example.org or follow @progressionsapp on Twitter.
Ratings and Reviews
This isn't the fanciest app on the planet and it's certainly not earth-shattering. However, it really addresses a need and so easily. I am using this to enter my own music that I write in order to play it for my children. Last weekend I had to grab a stack of paper with different scribblings on them. When the family comes over for thanksgiving this week, I'll be reading the lyrics and chords from my iPad. NICE! If anyone has trouble singing along, I'll be able to offer a different key on the fly. How cool is that?!?!
Once suggestion…is it possible to make the chords a different color from the lyrics? It would be nice to choose some options for each. Other than that, this is PERFECT! Thank you!!!
Hi, this app is great, I have been using it since it came out. There’s an issue with the new version, when I make a new playlist, and I try to add charts into them, the app closes randomly. Could you please fix it? I use the option so much. thanks, much love!
Developer Response ,
I should be able to figure this out and fix it. I’ll jump on it as soon as I can!
Very good app
I love this app 👍
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.