SETTINGS & FEATURES
• This app includes all exercise forms of PMR.
• select BEGINNER, ADVANCED or EXPERIENCED mode
• select to practice lying down or sitting
• adjust volume of voice, music & nature sounds
• set duration for tension (3-10 sec)
• set pause lengths for relaxation (10-40 sec)
• with / without Intro / Outro
• the total runtime is displayed after each selection
• set timer to continue music / nature sounds
• 5 music tracks & 17 nature sounds
• combine 2 nature sounds simultaneously
ABOUT PMR & CONTENT OF THE APP
Edward Jacobson's Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) - also called Deep Muscle Relaxation (DMR) - is a scientifically recognized relaxation method that helps to get into a state of deep relaxation through muscle tension and relaxation. PMR is a - scientifically proven - very effective relaxation method. It is recommended by doctors and therapists for many symptoms that are mostly stress-related, such as:
• migraine or headache
• inner unrest
• sleep disorders
• back pain / pain
• states of excitement,
• anxiety and panic attacks
• high blood pressure
• psychosomatic complaints
• stress and much more
With regular practice it is getting easier and easier to get into deeper relaxation states. If you have enough practice with the long form of PMR (Basic Form: 17 Muscle Groups), you can switch to the Short Forms with 7 and 4 Muscle Groups and finally to the mental form: Body Scan. Then you can relax your body just mentally.
ALL COMMON 4 FORMS OF PMR
• Basic Form (17 muscle groups)
• Short Form I (7 muscle groups)
• Short Form II (4 muscle groups)
• Mental Form (Body Scan)
for BEGINNER, ADVANCED and EXPERIENCED are taught and practiced in this app. This provides a total of 12 complete versions of the PMR.
BASIC FORM: 17 MUSCLE GROUPS
1. Right hand and forearm
2. Right upper arm
3. Left hand and forearm
4. Left upper arm
6. Upper cheek part and nose
7. Lower cheek part and jaw
9. Chest, shoulders and upper back
11. Buttocks and pelvic floor
12. Right thigh
13. Right lower leg
14. Right foot
15, 16, 17 (-> left side)
SHORT FORM I: 7 MUSCLE GROUPS
1. Right hand, forearm, and upper arm
2. Left hand, forearm and upper arm
3. Forehead, cheek part, nose and jaw
5. Chest, shoulders, back, abdominal, buttocks and pelvic floor
6. Right thigh, lower leg and foot
7. Left thigh, lower leg, and foot
SHORT FORM II: 4 MUSCLE GROUPS
1. Both hands, forearms and upper arms
2. Face and neck
3. Chest, shoulders, back, abdominal, buttocks and pelvic floor
4. Both thighs, lower legs and feet
MENTAL FORM: BODY SCAN
Guided relaxation through the whole body, starting from the face to the feet. This guide is the last stage of the PMR, in which the perception is directed to individual parts of the body without tensing them. The relaxation is now only mental. Soothing imaginations will help you.
MUSIC & NATURE SOUNDS
You can choose between 5 relaxing music tracks and 17 nature sounds. The volume levels can be adjusted individually. If desired, music and sounds can also be used alone (without voice) to relax or fall asleep.
OUTRO: FOR SLEEPING / WITH RETURN
At the end of the exercises, there is an Outro for falling asleep or with return, which can also be omitted.
DURATION OF TENSION & PAUSES FOR RELAXATION
Select your preferred duration for tension and relaxation between the muscle groups.
After the end of the exercise an unlimited time for the music and nature sounds can be set so to deepen your relaxation.
This app can and should be used offline (flight mode).
• Layout / design adjustments due to iOS 13 update
• Sound selection bars are scrollable again (fixed due to iOS 13 issue)
• the duration for the timer (continue Music) is now visible again on all devices
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Get this app. If you’re interested in PMR, this one is really fantastic.
I have only good things to say about this app. First off, it’s a real human voice guiding you, not a computer generated one. It’s very customizable. You can control almost every aspect of the app including durations for tensing and relaxing, which music you’d like and which two nature sounds (there are two separate banks) you’d like to use. Then there’s a mixer (once you hit play) where you can adjust volume levels of the voice, music, and each bank of nature sounds. I like to keep it simple so I only use the voice and one nature sound. The only drawback I have is that there is no true pause. When you hit play again you’re not starting from when you’ve left off, you start from the beginning. Which, as they say, is a very good place to start. But say it’s 6am and your cat starts throwing up on the rug in the next room, you can’t pick up where you left off. But after that, it was probably for the best to start over anyhow. It wasn’t the least stressful start of the day. But not the most, either! Get this app. If you’re interested in PMR, this one is really fantastic.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for rating and your nice comment. I will consider the possibility of pausing in the next update. Best regards, Anke & Team
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.