Pyto - Python 3 4+
Coding Python Scripts
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
Pyto is a Python 3.10 IDE for iPhone and iPad. Run code directly on your device and offline. You can run scripts from Shortcuts and code your own home screen widgets.
- Python 3.10 with all standard libraries
- A terminal with UNIX commands
- Smart code completion
- Set breakpoints on your scripts
- Code user interfaces with PytoUI or Toga
- Use pip to install pure Python modules from PyPI
- Access scripts from everywhere
- Run scripts in Picture in Picture
- Preview images and plots on console
- Multiple windows for iPadOS
- Run scripts and code from Siri Shortcuts
- Code your own home screen widgets
- Interact with other apps thanks to x-callback urls
Included third party libraries:
The libraries listed above require an internet connection to download. However, they remain on the hard disk after the import.
Take advantage system features with the following modules:
- pyto_ui - Build an user interface
- pyto_core - Extend the editor
- widgets - Home Screen Widgets
- file_system - iOS file system
- notifications - Schedule notifications
- remote_notifications - Receive remote notifications
- background - Run code in background
- pasteboard - Clipboard access
- userkeys - Save values on disk
- sound - Play sounds
- music - Access the Apple Music library
- photos - Accessing photos and the camera
- location - Access user's location
- motion - Motion sensors
- multipeer - Peer to peer wireless connection
- apps - Open third party apps
- xcallback - Interact with other apps
- sf_symbols - A list of SF Symbols names
- watch - Complications and static user interfaces for the Apple Watch
Fixed an issue showing the purchase screen for people who have purchased Pyto when it was paid upfront. This was caused by the revocation of a certificate bundle within the app itself.
If you have purchased it again as an In App Purchase, please request a refund to the App Store (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204084), this was not intended and I am very sorry for the inconvenience.
Ratings and Reviews
Great, if it worked offline.
First of all, regarding the title, this app works well, but it has an odd habit of asking me to purchase it— again, even though I’ve already purchased it. I need to restore the purchase by going online, which is an issue on my ipad.
Other than that, feels professional. It’s easy enough to navigate tabs (I just wish you could go up the file tree), and it lets you make projects— not just single files— and structure them. Feels almost like a desktop application! Since I have a bluetooth keyboard, works even better. The only problem I have, again, is the restore purchase issue which is annoying, especially since it happens every time I open the app.
I will update this review if it’s fixed.
Love the app. Bugs happen. Where to report them?
I really like this app. I write Python for machine learning applications for a living and having this tool on my iPhone and iPad 4 mini has become a true delight. I've encountered a weird problem with loading csv files. I have many csv files for testing a program, which I load one at a time. Some load but most are viewed by Pyto as nonexistent. I've deleted and recreated them multiple times without success. Where do I report errors like this?
Not to bring completion to the discussion but I've also been using Pythonista3. I'm disappointed that they have far less module and library support than Pyto but I have no issue loading csv files as I need to. Only saying I know it's not the files. Help :)
The fact that Pyto seems more concerned about delivering comprehensive functionality makes me smile for sure. Keep it up :). I'll remain loyal !
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review. For reporting bugs, you can do it in GitHub: https://github.com/ColdGrub1384/Pyto/issues or by sending an email to email@example.com. The problem with loading external files from a script is probably that Pyto doesn’t have permission to read them or maybe they aren’t downloaded. Are all the CSV files in the same directory? If so, go the Files app and check if the files are downloaded and open them to download the files. If they aren’t in the same directory, maybe Pyto doesn’t have permission to read the directory where some CSV files are. To fix that, open the script that will be executed, press the Settings icon at bottom, press “Current Directory” and if the current directory isn’t readable, press “Change”. You don’t really need to change it but just confirm the directory because that’s how iOS gives permission to the app to access the folder.
You can find lots of feedback online regarding Pyto crashing in many different ways. Right out of the gate, it crashed as I opened a file thru Working Copy (git), and immediately it lost knowledge about the 3~days trial and I had to accept the trial once again. A couple of files later it locked up, and I had to restart it. It now regularly crashes when a file is opened from Working Copy, sometimes the file is not opened in the Pyto editor, and sometimes Pyto crashes when executing a script.
This is way too unstable for my (any?) use. And note, I don’t mind paying for the pro version, but an app, especially an editor, needs to be rock stable for practical uses, functionality is worth nothing in a constantly crashing app.
Final comment: my iOS is fully up-to-date, was rebooted and I am using latest Pyto version. The app also crash in multiple ways. I don’t think this is a single minor bug fix, rather a fundamental problem that will require a ground up redesign of the app before it can stabilize.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Develobile S.p.A.
- 803.7 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2018-2022 Emma Labbé
- In-App Purchases
- 3-day Trial $0.00
- Full Version $14.99
- Lite Version $7.99
- Upgrade to Full Version $6.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.