Read Ahead Piano Sight Reading 4+
With Disappearing Music
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
• Read Ahead provides short and enjoyable 5-10 minute daily practice sessions which help pianists quickly develop their sight-reading ability.
• Innovative training exercises are incorporated into a carefully designed curriculum built around high quality music by a variety of composers.
• Read Ahead is designed to help piano students (children 10+ and adults) build the right habits and develop the skills necessary to fluently read music at their skill level.
• Designed to be integrated into a regular practice schedule.
• Fun for students to practice daily.
• Easy for busy teachers to incorporate into lessons and track progress.
• 36 daily exercise routines at each level.
Daily lesson plans consists of:
• Warm-up exercises to train memory, vision and touch.
• Read Ahead exercises to train students to read ahead of where they are playing.
• Sight-reading music from traditional ‘fixed' scores to pull it all together.
Lots of under the hood changes, improvements and bug fixes.
Updated Practice Goal
Added delete user data function to the Settings page so you can reset progress in the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Quietly amazing app.
This app might not look as fancy as many of the other ones on the app store right now, but after downloading ten different sight reading apps and trying them all over the past week, this one is easily my favorite. You can tell this app was made by people actually trying to help others learn music. It's extrmely methodical, and its main "gimmick," erasing the measure you're currently supposed to be playing, is genius, and *forces* you to sight read ahead of where you're playing, whether you want to or not!
Fantastic learning tool. My sight reading is improving significantly already. My thanks to the authors. The whole app is currently free until June because of Covid-19, but I'll still be purchasing to support such a helpful learning tool. Being able to sight read is a priceless gift to me!
Developer Response ,
We are so glad you are finding Read Ahead Useful. We really chose to focus our limited resources on content and pedagogy over gimmicky features and distracting graphics so it is great to hear that it is appreciated!
Great, but buggy
Love the concept and design of this and would definitely like to use it with my students, but have noticed some issues that will make it difficult, like lag or inconsistency in the way the disappearing measures advance, particularly across page turns and repeats. Occasionally have had whole pages of music disappear then reappear as the counter advances. Also had the metronome get stuck on the tempo setting page, then when I advanced to the sight reading page, there was a second metronome for that, causing two unsynchronized clicks. If these bugs can be sorted, this would be a really awesome teaching tool!
Nice concept, incomplete implementation
The basic idea of Read Ahead is pedagogically good, forcing you to read ahead & develop confidence in hands & keys. But the app could well include feedback on playing accuracy to be more helpful. I have a MIDI keyboard connected and it is entirely feasible for the app to at least tell wrong notes (other apps do) and perhaps even timing. I don’t think meaningful enhancements like this are being done on it any more. EDIT: (to developer response) Thanks for the response. “Learn to hear your own wrong notes” sounds good. But the app (a) won’t record and playback MIDI which is what my piano feeds my iPad, and (b) won’t play the original correct score either. Or did I miss these functions? Hoping to be constructive & that you find some ideas for improvement!
Developer Response ,
I'm glad you approve of the pedagogy since this is the single most important aspect of the app. Good pedagogy includes learning to hear your own wrong notes rather than relying on a machine to point them out to you. That’s why we added the recording feature. Everyone makes mistakes when sight-reading, and no one should be graded or scored on these normal inaccuracies. On the contrary, the ability to keep going, simplify, and improvise when sight-reading should be encouraged and rewarded.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Anacrusis LLC
- 62.1 MB
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Anacrusis LLC
- In-App Purchases
- ReadAhead Level 1A $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 1 $9.99
- ReadAhead Level 1B $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 2 $9.99
- Primary Section A $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 1C $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 2A $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 3 $9.99
- ReadAhead Level 3A $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 2B $3.99