Road Trip Planner LITE does everything that Road Trip Planner can do, EXCEPT save files. This LITE app is free so that you can experience all of the capabilities of the full version (except saving). This LITE version is also useful for sharing a Road Trip Planner file with others who will not be making changes to the file. It can open files created with Road Trip Planner on the Macintosh, iPhone and iPad.
See what Road Trip Planner can do by viewing sample files at:
Place pins on a worldwide map for each location you want to visit, then see your route. Enter trip details for each location and create a complete trip itinerary.
MAP PINS HOLD WHAT YOU NEED. Each pin shows:
- arrival date & time
- departure date & time
- travel time to this location
- time spent at this location
- name of pin (such as John’s house)
- address of pin
- notes and images
- custom pin color and icon (choose from over 90 designs or import your own)
- URL for related information
- URL for related images
- weather reports from NOAA and other sources
- Flickr photo search
- transport type (driving or walking)
- satellite view
- Internet Search results
- list of activities (lodging, sights to see, etc.)
- choose between multiple routes (if available)
- set the route color between pins
- between pins view driving distance, driving time, fuel cost, travel advisories, turn-by-turn driving directions
- import pins from your Contacts (select as many at once as you like)
EACH PIN CAN HAVE MANY ACTIVITIES. For each activity you can record:
- name of activity
- activity date, time and duration
- email address
- confirmation number
There are two types of pins. Route Pins are used to create the route. POI Pins mark points of interest on the map.
Choose between Apple Maps or OpenStreet Maps.
Choose between driving and walking for each pin. For air and rail routes a straight line can be displayed between pins.
Add, remove or rearrange the pins in any order you wish. Search for places such as restaurants or hotels near each pin. Routes and pins can be sent to Apple Maps.
PUT YOUR TRIP IN YOUR GPS device. Route pins and routes can be exported as GPX files that can be imported by many Global Positioning System devices.
VIEW YOUR TRIP ON YOUR IPHONE OR IPAD with our Road Trip Planner app for iOS, or use our FREE Road Trip Planner Viewer app. Or use apps that import GPX data, such as our GPX-Viewer app. Multiple sample files are available as well, including an informative Route 66 sample file.
THE ITINERARY HOLDS ALL OF THE DETAILS. Share it and take it with you.
- display the itinerary in a separate window
- save the itinerary to disk or share it easily
- optionally include a map image with pins and routes, activities for each Route Pin, costs for each activity, total fuel cost, total trip cost, information for Points of Interest Pins, and driving instructions
USE THE TO-DO CHECKLIST. Make sure you don’t forget anything.
Import location data from our other map-related apps. For a complete list visit website.
For more info, screenshots, videos, and support questions click on the Road Trip Planner support button or visit http://roadtripplanner.modesittsoftware.com
Mapping and routing functionality:
The mapping and routing functionality Road Trip Planner uses is based upon Apple’s maps technology. If Apple Maps cannot find a route between map pins, then neither can Road Trip Planner. Please test the area you wish to travel using Apple’s Maps app to ensure that the area can be routed. If it cannot be routed, please submit the issue to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_mac.html. If Apple Maps cannot perform routing in the area you wish to travel then neither can Road Trip Planner.
- Now a Mac Silicon chip native app.
- New File menu option: Mac Scrolling. When disabled it may make clicking on a map pin easier.
- New preference: Distance units. Specify default, metric or imperial.
- Added an optional Google street view for each map pin.
- Other bug fixes and app enhancements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Potiental for greatness
This software has the potiental to be great. However, building it on the Apple maps platform vs google maps I think is a fatal flaw. The only thing this does different than apple maps is tell you how much gas will cost. The ability to drag and customize routes is the entire point for having software like this. Until such a time that this feature is found this is nothing more than a $15 version of Apple Maps thats calcuates the cost of gas.
Developer Response ,
Apple Maps is the only SDK (Software Development Kit) available for the Mac. If Google had a SDK for the Mac, we'd probably use it, but it doesn't exist, so we use Apple Maps.
ive used this several times with great success, only thing is i wish that there was a way to get custom pins to change colors like the inbuilt ones
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. We'll look into your request.
Contacts are now accessible - Thanks...
The issue I reported in April has been resolved and contacts are now accessble on the iMac with Mojave
Developer Response ,
Sorry for the problem. This will be resolved in version 4.5.98.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- William Modesitt
- 5.8 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Modesitt Software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.