- Offers In-App Purchases
Display your optimal tacks on a chart, and the exact distance and time on each tack. Standard GPS chartplotters do not account for tacking distances. But if they do not know the distance you will travel, how can they calculate your correct ETA? SailTimer gives you a quick and easy display of your optimal tacks and TTD™ (Tacking Time to Destination).
Whether for cruising or racing, it is important to be able to determine the best heading on all points of sail. Sailing off the wind increases boat speed but lengthens the distance. Heading too far upwind shortens the distance but reduces speed. To help you select the best heading, SailTimer continuously updates your optimal tacks.
Operating Instructions and Unique Features:
• Save waypoints on the map. Rename them. Then easily display the optimal tacks, tacking distances, headings and times to get to a waypoint.
• Use our wireless Wind Instrument (www.SailTimerWind.com) to see wind direction, angle & speed. Just enter a waypoint and your optimal tacks will update automatically as the wind changes.
• Marine charts (raster) based on the paper charts are also available as low-cost in-app purchases for USA, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, large-scale charts of The Bahamas and Cuba, and New Zealand. Aerial photos and road maps worldwide are available free. All can be used offline.
• The white crosshair icon in the top left is the “Follow-Me” button. If clicked, it turns blue and keeps your location in the center of the screen as you move. Unselect when not moving to look around the map, and when you want to zoom in and out.
• If using a Wind Instrument, you can enlarge the Wind Speedometer to keep an eye on wind gusts. Click the Graph button and you can save or share a graph showing your boat speed and wind speed. The graph saves these for up to 24 hours as long as the device is not rebooted.
• Audio Navigation: when using the wireless Wind Instrument, optionally hear wind conditions or boat speed when they change by more than a set amount. It is like having a tactician in the cockpit with you. You can put your iPhone/iPad away safe and dry, and use a Bluetooth speaker or earbuds. Keep your hands and eyes free for sailing — no screen required. You can even shut off the screen to reduce heat and power consumption, and continue to hear audio reports.
• Your device will not go to sleep when the app is open, to allow you to continue to monitor your progress on the chart. You can also continue to track your tacking results with the app running in the background or when the device is asleep (unless you hard-quit).
• Click on the pin at the end of a pair of tacks to see the distances, heading and time on each tack.
• Custom polar plots: The app can learn your unique sailboat's speed profile on all points of sail, for the most accurate tacking results.
• Switch to the port or starboard tack to avoid obstructions, or let the app automatically display the tack nearest to your current heading.
• Save, import or email your GPS track.
• Convert from Apparent to True wind speed & direction.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease device battery life.
• New button for wireless Wind Instrument.
• Polar plot learning is now free (the boat's performance profile in all wind angles and wind speeds). The app can use this to calculate your unique boat's optimal tacks more accurately (but does come with a default polar plot).
Ratings and Reviews
Very nice experience
user since 2009 I have had a variety of boats, iPhones and iPads over the years that I have used this app with. My only complaint is that one of the big brands hasn’t licensed this software to use in a permanently mounted GPS chartplotter.
The SailTimer is perfect and does exactly what it’s supposed to do. So glad I can save my waypoints, and time how long it will take me to get to my destinations. But it does so much more than that! If your looking for a great tacking app/GPS for sailing, you found one! I recommend!
Great product for the active sailor. I'm eagerly waiting for new wind instrument.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- SailTimer Inc.
- 64.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2005-2023 SailTimer Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- SailTimer Pro Bundle $7.99
- Navionics Charts $10.99
- ActiveCaptain $0.00
- USA Atlantic Coast $15.99
- USA Gulf Coast $15.99
- USA Pacific Coast $15.99
- Polar Plot Learning $0.00
- USA Great Lakes $15.99
- Import NMEA data $0.99
- Cuba, Bahamas, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands $15.99