Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
• Say anything – State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol™) keeps your conversations secure. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.
• Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
• Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
• Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
• Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
• Whisper in the shadows – Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light.
• Sound familiar – Choose custom alerts for each contact, or disable noises completely. Simon & Garfunkel wrote a hit song about it in 1964, and you can experience the sound of silence whenever you want by choosing “None” as your notification ringtone.
• Picture this – Use the built-in image editing features to sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos. There’s even a text tool so that you can add more words to the 1,000 that your picture is already worth.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) and Instagram (@signal_app) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• Fixed some crashes to keep your app running smoothly.
Ratings and Reviews
BOOK DOOR TO SIGNAL APP EXPOSED
The service has now become pretty much useless. I no longer receive an audible or visual notice when people send me a message. Only once I click on the Signal icon do the alerts actually come in. Now I have to keep opening the app to check for messages. This is not the case with other messaging platforms. Yes, I allow full permissions for Signal.
Additionally, I came here to update, but I dare not as Signal now allows third party stickers/ads. This now opens up a backdoor for hackers. Soon, Signal will shut down all users that don’t update.
I use to boast how secure Signal was. Obviously the developers of Signal had long term plans to monetize their once highly secure communication service?
What do we expect for Free anyway? Obviously Signal’s original Mission Statement has changed. Third party advertising has now become a security concern.
I’m only here as a means to communicate with other hi level parties who feel safe using this app. That’s now going to change as word gets out that a backdoor for advertising has been installed in Signal’s app.
Though no communication service is bullet proof, adding an additional layer of script to monetize Signal, (in my opinion) opens up a serious security breach that will eventually be exploited by hackers.
Signal is not the only game in town. Once I get all of my contacts to migrate to a more secure app, I’ll be uninstalling Signal, as it doesn't alert me any more anyway.
Nightmare editing messages on my iPhone XR
I don’t know if this disfunction is related to the particular phone (iPhone XR) that I am using Signal on now or if it is the same on other phones, but the “cursor” control on Signal is a disaster now. It is a nightmare trying to move the cursor to where you want it, or to highlight a specific section of your message. I am completely unable to move the cursor more than a couple lines away from its current location at a time (and the text window doesn’t extend to more than 4 lines tall), so i have to scroll a couple lines away, click somewhere to move the cursor in the direction of where i want it to go, and repeat over and over again until it finally gets there. If i try to move it further than that, the window just jumps back to the area where it is currently located and moves it to some random location nearby.
Highlighting a portion of your message is impossible; it jumps from one end of the message to the other and will not allow you to scroll slowly to where you want to stop highlighting. It is so stupid ~ I recommend typing messages in another app and then pasting it into signal when you are done.
Also, FYI, if you want to copy text from a signal message, hold your finger on the message and then click on the little icon at the bottom of the screen that looks like two pieces of paper - nothing will ever appear that says “copy”.
Developer Response ,
This bug is resolved in the most recent version of the application.
Lots of features (Gify, stickers, reacts, self destructing messages), but it requires you to give out your phone number to everyone you talk to, does not allow specifying a different server, and beyond those privacy concerns, it has gone downhill lately in terms of usability and security as well.
It now it forces a PIN even if you don’t want one. Private keys are sent through the server to enable moving from one device to another. Signal used to store private keys in hardware and it was impossible to export them. This ensured that nobody could ever covertly get your key. They removed this security protection and do not even provide an option to use the more secure key storage. The Signal developers could have enabled a smooth device transfer and kept the keys in hardware by having the old key sign the new one so others will 1.) know that the new key is new 2.) know that it is legitimate, and 3.) be able to verify the move using another communication channel if they suspect something is amiss. The Signal developers decided against this.
Given the developers’ recent decisions, and their unwillingness to allow people to use their system without divulging their phone numbers, earns this app 3 stars. If they put more focus on privacy, security, and allowed connecting to private servers, it could easily be a 5-star app.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 137.8 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 12.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.2 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kabyle, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Turkmen, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © Signal Foundation
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.