SkyView® brings stargazing to everyone. Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, and more!
Over 3.2 million downloads.
App Store Rewind 2011 -- Best Education App
“If you've ever wanted to know what you're looking at in the night sky, this app is the perfect stargazer's companion.”
"If you’ve ever been looking for a stargazing app for your iPhone, then this [is] definitely the one to get."
“SkyView is an Augmented Reality app that lets you see just what delights the sky has to offer.”
– 148Apps Editor’s Choice
You don't need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find all 88 constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate every planet in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Sighting Events: schedule alerts for upcoming celestial events.
• Apple Watch: see what objects are visible tonight and how to spot them using your Apple Watch.
• Today Widget: brand new iOS 8 today widget lets you quickly see upcoming celestial events.
• Night Mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the sky track for any object to see it’s exact location in the sky on any date and time.
• Comprehensive: Includes thousands of stars, planets, and satellites with thousands of interesting facts.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!
This update improves screen compatibility and fixes other minor bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
I love this way too much!
I’m writing this review just because of how amazing this app is. I’m a kid who loves Astronomy, and takes it to long lengths. Just this Christmas, I got my first telescope! The Celestron 114 az Explorascope! I downloaded this app originally to see where my favorite star, Capella was located. Turns out, it had spot on location. I then got the full version, and have been using it on a weekly basis! This is an amazing app, and I look forward to using it for studying nebulas, planets, etc! I love this app mainly because I have been studying astronomy for about 5 years now, and have gone from knowing the basic 8 planets, to knowing the official names for several stars, galaxies, nebulae, and several other celestial bodies. This app is awesome for star gazing, planet watching, and exoplanet tracking! If you need a trustworthy, stable, easy to use app, download this for sure! My favorite part about this app is the mini lessons it gives you whenever you tap on a star, planet, nebula, star cluster, galaxy, you name it! I’m never downloading any other astronomy app! Thanks a bunch!! :)
Cool and informative, but could use a few things
I initially tried the SkyView Lite with my son after buying him a telescope a few weeks back. My initial thoughts of the app were great (still is) as you can point up, down, side-to-side and behind you and find what’s out there. This gets me dizzy and somewhat lost when trying relocate the object through the telescope.
A few nights back, we went to a viewing event and found another similar app (stellarium) which did not have (could be user settings) all of the constellation artwork pop ups and things getting in the way to try and find certain nebula and various other objects. His app simplified with a real-time view (potentially used a light pollution map) of what’s visible by the eye, to help find objects. He also did not have to point the app up, he held it at ground level and was able to match the stars visible currently to the eye, vs holding up the phone and getting lost within all the stars in the sky with your app.
Long story short I found some settings in this app to remove the pop up constellation artwork and reduce some of the stars, planets and satellites, however I’m not able to eliminate the point up to see option. Is there a setting for that in this app? I would like to hold the phone flat like I’m texting and see a real time view of what’s viewable with my eye, vs getting dizzy with the moving and spinning of the app.
Overall I like this app. It is easy to use. You look at the sky you put the circle on the star you want and it tells you what it is. The only thing bad at this point is two days ago the calibration doesn’t work. So when I came to Circle at the sky, the planet from my perspective is about a foot off to the left. I use the manual calibration tool, but when you use it you can’t see the name of the planet and you can’t make it stay on the planet. I do not see any way to get a hold a Overall I like this app. It is easy to use. You look at the sky you put the circle on the star you want and it tells you what it is. The only thing bad at this point is two days ago the calibration doesn’t work. So when I am in the circle at the sky, the planet from my perspective is about a foot off to the left. I use the manual calibration tool, but when you use it you can’t see the name of the planet and you can’t make it stay on the planet. I do not see any way to get a hold of support.
Im searching for a clue on the Internet to fix it I find other people have had this problem also. If you can fix the calibration I would certainly give it a five star.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Terminal Eleven LLC
- 81.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2010 Terminal Eleven LLC.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.