Snowflake is an incredibly detailed weather app, covering almost everything you could possibly want to know about current conditions and forecasts. Snowflake is privacy focused, with no ads, no analytics, and no creepy tracking.
- Incredibly comprehensive weather data.
- iPhone and iPad app.
- Apple Watch app.
- Apple Watch complications.
- Today Widget.
- Siri Shortcuts.
- 4 weather providers.
- 4 themes and automatic day/night theme switching.
- 6 icons.
- No ads, no analytics, and no creepy tracking.
--- Snowflake Plus ---
Snowflake Plus is an optional subscription that adds maps, background refresh for watch complications, and many customization features.
- 24 hours of historical hourly data when using TWC or WillyWeather data.
- Multiple weather providers.
- 15 day forecast when using TWC.
- Animated rain and snow radar map layer.
- Clouds map layer with animation.
- Combined radar and clouds map layer.
- Wind Speed map layer.
- Temperature map layer.
- Dew Point map layer.
- Pressure map layer.
- Humidity map layer.
- 24 hour rainfall map layer.
- 24 hour snowfall map layer.
- Animated forecast rain and snow radar map layer.
- Animated forecast cloud map layer.
- Customize what’s shown in current conditions.
- Hide rows in current conditions.
- Switch to a compact version of current conditions.
- Today Widget: Customize what’s shown in current conditions.
- Apple Watch: 15 day forecast when using TWC.
- Apple Watch: Customize what’s shown in current conditions.
- Apple Watch: Customize what’s shown in hourly forecasts.
- Apple Watch: Background data to keep complications up-to-date.
- Added Environment Canada as a provider for Canadian users.
- Added ability to continue to view hourly and daily forecasts if an update fails or when no internet connection is available.
- Added a theme settings for maps.
- Added an option to show forecast rainfall amounts in daily forecasts.
- Improved Complication updating.
- Fixed a display issue with map tiles on iOS 11/12.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is a weather app to watch
For the reviewer who "Can't recommend this app'
That is a fair assessment and opinion, but other things should be considered, besides just price.
Remember, price is relative to value.
I love a good idea when I see one and want to support further versions in this direction. I have the other apps you have mentioned (have deleted NOAA, not because it was necessarily bad app, but it didn’t meet my needs as I understood more of what I wanted.)
Your observations on these apps are correct.
But it remains to be seen if this apps will have subsequent versions or designs.
This is just version 1.0 of Snowflake Weather, and it's all about design. The weather data is the same or the one constant, regardless of the app. I think this app has a good design approach and I want to support it to see where it goes.
As weather apps go... This is a solid contribution that definitely tries to establish a point of view, rather than being an 'also ran.'
I also like that the developer is up front with costs and you can cancel at anytime. I have no social or financial associations with this company or the developer.
Currently I like MyRadar. But tastes change plus, it depends on your preference or how much you want to know about the weather.
These are some of the other things that I feel should be taken into consideration, instead of just price.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words. And, as you mentioned, this is our starting point. We have more goodness coming. We’re listening to every single piece of feedback we receive.
Can’t Recommend this App
One of the reviewers called the initial $4.99 charge, and the additional $4.99 annual charge as a “money grab” this is a fair comment, but I also understand the developers need to pay their weather data providers. However, this isn’t the only issue with this app -there are other perhaps more serious flaws. For example, there is no city search capability. The weather data displayed is for a specific GPS location, and only changes when you change your location. This app doesn’t allow you to query weather, in a different city, if you are planning a trip and want to know about inclement weather conditions, and it doesn’t provide Weather Warning information like the NOAA App does. While the app does provide information like dew point, barometric pressure, lunar phases, wind speed, UV index, humidity this information is again specific to your current GPS location. Other weather apps, The Weather Channel and NOAA to name two, include most of this information with their free of charge basic service, including current radar images, and city search capability. All of the GPS specific weather information provided, by this app, is interesting data, but is it worth $4.99 -in my opinion no.
Developer Response ,
To search for a city, please choose Location on the Settings tab. We’re considering adding weather warnings in a future update. Thanks!
Background Refresh Needed
I want to like this app — and do except for one failing that I think the developers ought to be able to fix. Unlike other apps like Accuweather, I can’t get Snowflake to update on my watch without touching it. I can’t just glance and trust I’m seeing the latest. So I checked the iPhone settings to see if I had Background App Refresh switched on and discovered there’s no setting to do so. Apparently Snowflake can’t update in the background, so naturally the watch display won’t likely be accurate. Fix this — plus add Notifications — and you’ll get 5 stars.
I like the rest. Graphics are great on the watch and phone. The annual subscription doesn’t bother me. The Weather Channel is almost $10. All in all good start, but there’s a few critical improvements needed.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the kind words. The watch complication update issue is a known problem, and it should be fixed in the next version.
- Bjango Pty Ltd
- 74.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Bjango Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Snowflake Plus 1 Year $4.99
- Snowflake Plus 1 Month $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.