NEW: Buddy Reads!
Discuss books with friends, leaving live reactions at specific parts of the book. Don't have reading buddies? We suggest people to read with!
Import your Goodreads data: We will import all of your currently-reading, read, to-read, and did-not-finish shelves. Any custom shelves will be mapped to a custom tag on The StoryGraph.
Simple tracking and insightful stats: Easily track and learn about your reading habits with our wide range of charts and graphs. See how your reading develops over time and use that to help you pick better books.
Get smart personalized recommendations: Our machine learning AI is like your trusted go-to friend for book recommendations. It'll understand your reading preferences and find the best books for you.
Discover books by mood: In the mood for something adventurous, funny, and fast-paced? What about a darker, slower, more emotional read? Mix and match our comprehensive set of filters to choose your next perfect book.
Read with friends: Add live reactions to specific parts of the book without fear of spoilers. Comments are locked for other participants until they reach that point in their reading. Don't have people to read with? We’ve got machine learning-powered suggestions for great reading buddies.
Reading Challenges: Want to read one book from every country in the world? Or how about read a book per week across a range of genres? Our reading challenges feature help you set up personal goals or join in with others.
Custom Tags: Enhance your book tracking and discovery by making use of our custom tags feature. You can search and filter books by your tags and share curated lists with friends.
Content Warnings: When you review a book, you can let us know if there's any content within it that might be triggering for others. Then, when searching for your next read, all of this information is at your disposal.
• Import your Goodreads account
• Reading charts and graphs
• Buddy reads
• Personalized machine learning recommendations
• Follow your friends to see what they're reading
• Annual reading and page goals
• Search/browse books by mood, pace, and more
• Custom tags
• Lists to share with your friends or the public
• Create your own reading challenge or join in with others
• Browse similar books
• Find similar users
• Half and quarter star ratings
• Built-in DNF (Did Not Finish) functionality (including tracking pages read)
• Progress updates with built-in reading journal
• Author-approved and user-submitted content warnings
Want to support an independent, Goodreads alternative? Consider upgrading to Plus!
• Keep the platform ad-free: You'll help The StoryGraph stay independent!
• Advanced Stats: Compare any two time slices of your data side-by-side and get stats pages for any of your custom tags
• Up Next Suggestions: Not sure what to read next? We'll look at your To-Read Pile and give you smart, personalised suggestions
• Buddy Read Book Suggestions: Want to read with friends but don't know which book to choose? We suggest books that we think the group will love
• Unlimited Recommendations: Search for personal recommendations, based on your mood and reading preferences, as many times as you want to!
• Advanced Similar Users: Search for users based on what they typically like to read in order to expand your personal book community and discover new books
• Personalised Similar Books: When browsing books, see similar book suggestions that are unique to you
• Shape the roadmap: You get to vote and comment on upcoming features as well as submit official requests for new ones
• Priority Support: Your support tickets and requests for book information updates will be handled first
Terms of Service:https://app.thestorygraph.com/terms-of-service
What's new in v.1.3?
• General software updates and bug fixes, including a fix for the fact that flash notifications weren't showing up!
Ratings and Reviews
incredible tool for readers!!
i love this app so much!! i heard about it on tiktok & immediately downloaded it. i’ve been using it for about a week or two now & it’s so so amazing!! the features & interface are so so great and it’s evident that the people involved in making the app love reading & have a passion for this project. there’s nothing i don’t love. I know it’s a work in progress so i’m super excited for things like the reading recommendations to become even more personalized, and for more nuanced privacy settings!! i use this app pretty much daily. it’s made reading even more fun, and i’ve told everyone I know about it. i love to put in my TBR, update my reading progress w my current reads & use the private journal to list my thoughts, see what my friends are reading through the community tab, and organize all my TBR, owned books, DNF’d books, etc, with tags. if you like reading even a little, try storygraph!!!
Awesome! (4.5 stars)
This is better than Goodreads in my opinion. The homepage is accessible and easy to navigate. I like the quiz at the beginning so that your recommendations are personalized and you can change it at any time. It is quite obvious that the creator loves to read and knows what their doing. It also has reading challenges just like Goodreads. There is stats that shows you what genre, author, mood, ect. that you read the most; which I don’t think goodreads has. Another thing that this has that goodreads doesn’t is detailed reviews. Instead of 1 star increment ratings, it’s in increments of .25. You can also fill out a checklist about the book and submit that with the review. And one of the most useful things is that if you already have an account on goodreads, you can transfer all of your information to StoryGraph. There are a few small things, though. The page count on books is always around 20 pages over what the actual page count is. And since this is a smaller reading app, there isn’t any actual author reviews or anything. This is obviously not the apps fault though.
Great app overall!
Going to need a lot of work to adequately compete with goodreads. The stats are great, but that’s about the only improvement. The interface is confusing, and certain pages can only be accessed by several unintuitive clickthroughs. The look of the whole thing just feels outdated as well. The fact that everything, including going “back” to a page, scrolls from the right is just weird. There are lots of covers, page info, and correct editions missing from this database, and searching editions by ISBN has yet to actually work correctly for me. Importing from goodreads made a mess of all of my information; thankfully I don’t have a large library so it only took an hour or so to manually update all of the books that inexplicably were marked as being audiobooks. (The edition noted on goodreads appears to have been fully disregarded in some cases). The reading tracking also needs work. It automatically marks ALL pages as being read on the final day of reading unless you manually track throughout. And it has to be *throughout* because there seems to be no way to back date entries, it will only allow me to add one “journal entry” per day, even if I update it to be for a day last week.
Developer Response ,
Hello! Sorry that you haven't had a great experience with the app so far. One thing we'll be working on improving soon are some parts of the UI/UX that you mention. On top of that, we're working with a team of volunteers to help improve our book data though this is the hardest part of being a new, independent startup in the books space and so will take some time. Hopefully you'll have a much better experience later this year!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The StoryGraph Limited
- 1.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © The StoryGraph Limited
- In-App Purchases
- The StoryGraph Plus Monthly $4.99
- The StoryGraph Plus Annual $49.99