15 fun home screen widgets • Apple Watch App with 100s of Complications • Create alerts for 24 solar & lunar events such as sunrise, sunset, dawn, dusk, and moonrise
Sundial is the app you didn't know you needed, showing vital info about the sun and moon any time, anywhere. Never wonder when the sun will set or rise again!
Tracking the sun and moon is something people have done for thousands of years but it's never been easier than it is today with Sundial. Sundial puts solar and lunar information into the palm of your hand and, thanks to the Apple Watch app, onto your wrist as well!
Sundial is an app designed to give everyone access to the sun and moon in ways they don't normally have it. Perfect for runners, hikers, campers, boaters, sailors, pilots, gardeners, farmers, photographers, film/tv production crew, astronomers, astrophotographers, solar installers, and travelers of all kinds. Sundial is an app for anyone who just needs to know when it'll get light and dark.
Sundial provides a one-of-a-kind display of the sun and moon's rise and set cycle over the 24-hour day. As the seasons change, the yellow “sun is out” arc informs you of the precious daylight hours, shrinking during winter months and expanding as summer approaches. The white inner arc represents when the moon is visible in the sky. Civil, nautical, and astronomical twilights are also shown on the solar dial in shades of blue.
Create alerts for one of 24 different solar and lunar events and Sundial will tell you about them – without you ever having to open the app.
The 24 events that support notifications include:
- Sunrise, solar mid-morning, solar noon, solar mid-afternoon, sunset, and solar midnight
- Civil twilight (dawn/dusk), nautical twilight, and astronomical twilight
- Moonrise, lunar noon, moonset, and lunar midnight
- Moon phases: full moon, new moon, first quarter moon, and last quarter moon
- Astronomical seasons: March equinox, June solstice, September equinox, and December solstice
All notifications can be customized to alert you minutes, hours, and even days before an event takes place. Sundial can give you plenty of notice that you need to be ready for a sunrise, sunset, and more. Like to walk your dog for 30 minutes around dusk? Sundial can help you with that!
There's more, too!
Use Sundial's 24-hour wheel to see where the sun and moon will be today, tomorrow, and any other time you choose. Use gestures on iPhone and iPad to scroll through dates. Or jump to a specific date with iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.
Sundial features 15 different widgets that can be used to put its data right onto your Home screen.
APPLE WATCH APP:
The Sundial Apple Watch app makes all of its solar and lunar data available where it's most easily found – right on your wrist. Because Sundial runs on your watch you won't even need to have your iPhone with you.
Hundreds of complication combinations mean you'll find one that displays the right data and has the right look – even for the most custom of watch faces. Sundial's unique time dials, solar times/countdown, lunar times/countdown, moon phase, and solar/lunar azimuth are all present on Apple Watch.
We want to make sure everyone can enjoy Sundial which is why we built in full Voice Over support from the ground up.
We believe that your data is your own. That's why Sundial does't collect any information about the people who use it. Sundial does not store your location or upload it to any third-party service.
Because of its advanced features and the use of Apple's latest APIs, Sundial Watch requires iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7.
Sundial is a free download with some additional features requiring an in-app purchase to unlock. All offer a three-day trial before any payment is taken.
- Sundial Plus unlocks unlimited alerts, unlimited Time Travel, support for multiple locations, and more.
- Sundial Widgets unlocks all 14 iPhone and iPad Home screen widgets.
- Sundial Watch unlocks the full Apple Watch app, including hundreds of complications.
- Unlock all of the above with a single in-app purchase Bundle.
Fixed: time travel crashed on iPhone and iPad when voice over was enabled
Ratings and Reviews
Watch App is back!!!
My job requires me to know when civil twilight is every day, and this app handily tells me that. I first paid for it because I could stick it on my watch and know at a glance everything I needed to know. So I was really bummed when the developer dropped support for the watch. I could still use the main app of course, but the nerd in me really loved just looking at my wrist. I was graciously offered my money back if I wanted, but I chose not to, because I wanted to encourage the developer to keep working on this beautiful app and, as a software engineer, I know how these things go. And now I am SO HAPPY to see that not only is the watch app back, but back with a vengeance! The configurability of the widgets and complications is just stunning. The only downside is that now I’m going to be fiddling with this for weeks in order to find what arrangements are “just right” for me. Thanks so much for standing by your product and its continued improvement.
Excellent Info in a Beautiful, Clean Design
In my quest (I’m a librarian) for an app that would display daily and monthly solar and lunar phases, I did a little research and found this one was very well-rated over and over for its breadth of data, its friendly interface, and its features. Since this app kept floating to the top, I downloaded it and I have been a Basic user for a few months.
I just love it, and I find myself using it often. It is deceptively simple, due to its clean design, but packed with information, which I enjoy browsing. Some practical uses:
• I like to know when the full moon is coming up for viewing (and sometimes to confirm a string of bizarre behavior, although that seems to have ramped up to “daily” in 2020).
• When we’re working in the yard, it’s great to see how much daylight we have left.
• When we’re traveling and want to view a sunrise or a sunset, we can see the time for that, no matter where we are in the world.
• I have a daily alert set for dusk, to remind me to bring in our suet and birdfeeders, before they are accosted by marauding raccoons from the woods.
• The app is also a terrific learning tool, both for us, ourselves, and for us to use as we help introduce our 3-year-old granddaughter to these natural, ancient rhythms and phases.
Very pleased - a great app. I plan on upgrading for more personal tinkering and preferences. Highly recommend!
My favorite complication; exceptional developer
The best visualization of sun and moon data you’ll find on iOS (and watchOS), or anywhere else. The unique dial is such a clever, concise infographic, simple to read and dense with information. It’s glanceable, memorable, and legible even at the scale of a watch complication. The update to v7.0 is fantastic: it introduces a brand new watchOS app with extremely deep customization, as well as the longest list of complications and iOS 14 widgets I’ve seen from any app, period. Best of all, the developer is very committed to the project and extremely responsive to customer support, and just a friendly, pleasant individual to correspond with. Sundial may not be the most “mission-critical” app on your phone, but if you’re the kind of person who looks skyward — and at app reviews — then this is more than worth the price of a coffee.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Tier 9 Digital LLC
- 72.5 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2015-2021 Tier 9 Digital LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock features (Sundial v6) $9.99
- Plus, Widgets, & Watch $14.99
- Home Screen Widgets $5.99
- Sundial Plus $7.99
- Apple Watch App $7.99
- Tip the Developer $1.99
- Tip the Developer $9.99
- Tip the Developer $4.99
- Tip the Developer $0.99
- Tip the Developer $24.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.