Sundial displays the sun and moon's rise/set cycle in a 24-hour ring. You can create alerts for solar/lunar events and see times for a different date or location. The Apple Watch app provides all the information available in the iPhone/iPad app, with text and graphical complications. No Internet is required to compute rise/set and other times: everything is calculated on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.
Times for dawn, sunrise, solar noon (sun peak), sunset, and dusk are displayed, along with daylight length. Moonrise, lunar noon (moon peak), and moonset are shown, along with lunar illumination and graphical moon phase. Unlike most apps, moon tilt is customized to your time and location.
Create iOS notifications for common solar and lunar events, including:
- Sunrise, solar noon, sunset, and solar midnight
- Civil twilight (dawn/dusk), nautical twilight, and astronomical twilight
- Moonrise, lunar noon, moonset, and lunar midnight
- Moon phases: full moon, new moon, first quarter moon, and last quarter moon
There are many customization options for alerts, such as configuring a notification to be delivered minutes, hours, or even days before or after one of the event types above. For example, be notified one hour before sunrise.
A 3 day trial of unlimited alerts is included. Purchase Sundial Premium via one-time in app purchase to continue receiving alerts after your trial has ended.
You can view rise/set times and moon phase for any date using time travel: jump to a specific date or use gestures to move forward and backwards in time. Free is limited to +- 7 days from today.
With in-app purchase, you can view solar and lunar times for any location. You can search by place name, any portion of an address, or geographic coordinates. Locations can be favorited for easy reference. There are a number of settings to tweak location features, including the ability to mirror your selected location to your Apple Watch, the Today Widget, and even use for alert notifications.
Sundial is great for runners, hikers, campers, walkers, boaters, sailors, pilots, gardeners, farmers, photographers, film/tv production crew, astronomers, astrophotographers, and travelers of all kinds.
Parents, want a reminder that twilight is over and you need to get the kids inside? This app is for you. Like to take your dog on a walk 30 minutes for dusk? Sundial has you covered. Want to be notified the evening of a full moon? Piece of cake!
Religious and yoga followers use Sundial to observe special requirements. For example, Ashtanga yoga practitioners do not practice near the new or full moon. With Sundial’s powerful moon phase alerts, you can be notified a few days before the new and full moon to take rest.
Includes a Today Widget for quick access on the iPhone. The Apple Watch app includes several complications for 38mm, 40mm, 42mm, and 44mm watches.
The iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch apps have full voice over support for all features.
Note: reported times switch between AM/PM and 12/24 notation based on your system settings.
Sundial Premium is a one-time in-app purchase that unlocks:
- Unlimited alerts (free is limited to a 3 day trial); alerts can be backed up to iCloud and synchronized to your other devices
- Unlimited time travel (free is limited to ±7 days from today)
- Jump to another location. Recent and favorite locations can be backed up to iCloud and synchronized to your other devices.
- Turn off screen lock (use Sundial as a clock at your desk)
- Customize the dial
- Many additional settings related to location
- Remove the coin jar button on the home screen
- In Location Settings, you can now select to show times for your current location in the GMT/UTC timezone always (premium only)
- There is no longer a separate Apple Watch 'Use GPS To Determine Time Zone' setting; the selection on Sundial iPhone app 'Time Zone for Current Location' will be used on the Apple Watch app automatically
- New Dial options in Settings: show additional hour numerals and tweak nitpicky details like rotation of numerals
- Twilights show/hide has moved to the new Dial settings screen
- Many voice over improvements
- Small change to date formatting to match culture
- Fixed: Sundial crashed on launch when the language was Thai
- Fixed: lunar phase alerts that had 'When to Notify' set to Moonrise, Sunrise, Sunset, etc. *before* the phase could fire the alert a day early. For example, an alert such as "Sunrise before the new moon"
Ratings and Reviews
I Use This App Every Day!!
Love this app! It’s just what I’ve been looking for! The visual graphics are prefect, and all the different specifications of sunlight and moonlight are comprehensive. I like to know sunrise and sunset, also knowing dawn and dusk now has been a pleasant enlightening for knowing how much longer you will be able to see at night, and when you will start seeing daylight in the morning. And it’s come in handy countless times for knowing how much daylight is left if I’m working in the yard or want to take the trash out before it’s totally dark. Or when will the wildlife start stirring outside at the first light of dawn- know I know the time! Get this app- if you like watching the sky, connecting with Mother Earth- you will love it!!
Great app for runners, hikers or walkers.
I like to time the start of my runs so I am running when the sun rises. Gives me a boost of energy when the sun come up. Sundial makes this very easy to do. Plus the app is internet free; there is no backend server keeping track of your personal data. Also Sundial is easy on your battery. Alerts are very useful. Sundial is better than any of the other sun rise/sun set apps I looked at. Respect to the developer.
As others have suggested, please consider adding some form of first/last light. I’m not sure what makes the most sense; civil or nautical or astronomical.
Developer Response ,
Thanks Cooooooooper! Version 4.0 has dawn/dusk on the main screen now. And twilights is an option on the solar dial. Cheers.
Wonderful App! Nothing else like it 🌞🌝👍
Thank you so much for this app!
I've been searching for something like this for years. A simple, visual representation of of the setting and rising of the sun and moon. Rather than just listing times or showing the common "sine wave" type graph, it shows the information on an intuitive 24 clock face. It's like a fancy complication on an expensive watch.
Almost makes me want to get an Apple watch so I can have it on my wrist.
I would gladly pay $5 for this, but it's free!
Suggestion: the widget should have the same clock face as the app, just smaller.
Developer Response ,
Howdy! You may have seen this, but in a recent release I added the dials to the Today Widget for larger phones. Cheers.
- Tier 9 Digital LLC
- 104.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 4.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2015-2019 Tier 9 Digital LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock all features $2.99
- Tip the Developer $0.99
- Tip the Developer $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.