Sundial displays the sun and moon's rise/set cycle in a handy 24-hour ring. You can create iOS notifications for common events, including sunrise, solar noon, sunset, moonrise, lunar noon, lunar midnight, and moonset. Notification of full moon, new moon, first quarter moon, and last quarter moon is also supported. You can also create alerts for astronomical, nautical, and civil twilight start and end.
Sundial is great for runners, hikers, campers, walkers, boaters, sailors, pilots, gardeners, photographers, astronomers, and travelers of all kinds. Parents, want a reminder that twilight is over and you need to get the kids inside? This is for you. Like to take your dog on a walk 30 minutes for sunset? Sundial has you covered.
Sundial does not require an Internet connection to calculate rise & set times: GPS and built-in algorithms are used.
You can enable one alert for free. Unlock unlimited alerts by making a one time in-app purchase of Sundial Premium. Premium has other neat features including options to synchronize your alerts to other devices using iCloud and disable screen lock when Sundial is active (use it is a clock on your desk).
Includes a Today Widget for quick access on the iPhone and an Apple Watch app. The Apple Watch app includes several complications for 38mm, 40mm, 42mm, and 44mm watches.
The iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch apps have voice over support for all features. Switches between AM/PM and 12/24 notation based on your system settings.
Time travel: view solar and lunar times for another calendar day
- iOS: use gestures to move forward/back one day at a time; long press to fast travel; use the calendar button to jump to a specific date
- Apple Watch: turn the digital crown to move by day; force touch to jump to a specific day or, on Series 4, to start fast travel; force touch again to go back to today
- Option to show civil, nautical, and astronomical twilight on the sundial (enabled by default)
- The moon’s tilt for your time and position is taken into account when displaying moon phase
- Full voice over support (vision accessibility)
- Show daylight length
- Show +1 when a time is for tomorrow (such as tomorrow’s sunrise time)
- Show dawn/dusk and full/new moon information on the main screen (can be collapsed on iPhone)
- Upcoming alerts are shown on the main screen: swipe up to see more
- Improved alert editing: alerts are automatically grouped and sorted based on type and offset; you can select multiple alerts to delete or duplicate
- Improved workflow for creating a new alert: Sundial immediately shows the event selector
- Improved large preview of upcoming alerts
In-app purchase to unlock the following new features:
- Alert offsets can be tuned to the minute
- Option to synchronize alert definitions between devices using iCloud
- Option to turn off screen lock when Sundial is active
Premium unlock is also required to create more than 1 alert; existing users can continue to edit any existing alerts above this limit
Fixed: was not always refreshing location when the watch entered foreground
Ratings and Reviews
Great app for runners, hikers or walkers.
I like to time the start of my runs so I am running when the sun rises. Gives me a boost of energy when the sun come up. Sundial makes this very easy to do. Plus the app is internet free; there is no backend server keeping track of your personal data. Also Sundial is easy on your battery. Alerts are very useful. Sundial is better than any of the other sun rise/sun set apps I looked at. Respect to the developer.
As others have suggested, please consider adding some form of first/last light. I’m not sure what makes the most sense; civil or nautical or astronomical.
Developer Response ,
Thanks Cooooooooper! Version 4.0 has dawn/dusk on the main screen now. And twilights is an option on the solar dial. Cheers.
Wonderful App! Nothing else like it 🌞🌝👍
Thank you so much for this app!
I've been searching for something like this for years. A simple, visual representation of of the setting and rising of the sun and moon. Rather than just listing times or showing the common "sine wave" type graph, it shows the information on an intuitive 24 clock face. It's like a fancy complication on an expensive watch.
Almost makes me want to get an Apple watch so I can have it on my wrist.
I would gladly pay $5 for this, but it's free!
Suggestion: the widget should have the same clock face as the app, just smaller.
Developer Response ,
Howdy! You may have seen this, but in a recent release I added the dials to the Today Widget for larger phones. Cheers.
Amazing app! For our hens and for us!!
I was looking for something that allowed me to put the hens to bed in the evening, and then get a good nights sleep, as well as wake up just before sunrise when the hens started squawking that they wanted out into their day pen. The fact that this app offers not one but all three twilights, a.m. as well as p.m., has me over the moon in love with it! I can let the hens out at morning civil twilight, put them to bed at evening civil twilight, and then set the last alarm for nautical twilight to get a wonderful night sleep, in tune with my body and the rotation of the earth :-) LOVE LOVE LOVE this app
Developer Response ,
Love your use of the app ZebraBus!! I am always fascinated at how people are using the alarms. Thanks so much for the review.
- Tier 9 Digital LLC
- 77.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2015-2019 Tier 9 Digital LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock all features $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.