Textastic is a fast and versatile text, code and markup editor. It supports syntax highlighting of more than 80 programming and markup languages. Connect to FTP, SFTP, SSH and WebDAV servers or to your Dropbox or Google Drive account. Use the built-in WebDAV server to easily transfer files from your Mac or PC over Wi-Fi.
NEW IN TEXTASTIC 9:
• Support for Dark Mode
• Multiple Windows on iPadOS 13
• Context Menus for Files and Tabs
• Syntax highlighting of more than 80 languages:
• Compatible with TextMate and Sublime Text 3 syntax definitions and themes
• Emmet support
• FTP, FTPS (FTP over SSL), SFTP (SSH connection), WebDAV, Dropbox and Google Drive clients
• SSH terminal connections
• Git repositories from the Git client app Working Copy can be opened as external folders in Textastic
• iCloud Drive
• WebDAV server
• Symbol list to quickly navigate in a file
• Full external keyboard support
• Configurable keyboard shortcuts
• Displays additional keys over the virtual keyboard to make it easy to type characters often used for programming
• Cursor navigation wheel for easy text selection
• Easily move the cursor using swipe gestures
• Split View and Slide Over multitasking on iPad
• Open multiple files in tabs
• Full iPad Pro and iPhone 11 support
• Supports most encodings like UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP 1251 or MacRoman
• Supports different tab widths and soft tabs (spaces instead of tabs)
• Customizable font and font sizes
• Find & Replace (including regular expression search)
• File information like character count and word count
• Send files by email
• Local and remote web preview for HTML and Markdown files
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion
• Custom fonts
Textastic supports several ways to import your files:
• Connect to (S)FTP and WebDAV servers, Dropbox or Google Drive
• By using "Open In" in other apps
• Over Wi-Fi with the built-in WebDAV server
Don't hesitate to tell me the features you want to see in the next version!
• Adding New Files, Folders, and Images Has Been Redesigned
- When creating files and folders using the "+" button below file lists, you can now see and change the location in which the new file or folder will be created. This is especially useful when you invoke this dialog using the Cmd-N keyboard shortcut and you don't remember the last folder you navigated to.
- There is a new "Import" tab that you can use to import files using the iOS document picker, and to import images using the new iOS image picker introduced in iOS 14.
- Tap and hold or right click the "+" button to show a menu that allows you to directly invoke "New File", "New Folder", "Import Files", or "Import Images".
• Improved Web Preview Server
- The web server for the web preview is now started when the app is launched instead of when the web preview is first shown.
- The web server for the web preview now uses port 8080 by default instead of a random port. This allows you to bookmark preview URLs in Safari when using "Preview in Safari". You can change the port or use a random port in Settings -> Web Preview.
• Remote Connections
- Rewritten UI of remote connection settings ((S)FTP, WebDAV, Google Drive, Dropbox) with better support for Dynamic Type and VoiceOver.
- Updated to the new Dropbox OAuth API that uses short lived access tokens and refresh tokens. The old Dropbox API will stop returning long-lived access tokens on September 30th, 2021. With this update, Textastic is ready for this change. Existing access tokens are not impacted.
• Other Improvements
- Rewritten file properties and search settings with better support for Dynamic Type and VoiceOver, and some other improvements.
- Rewritten UI of WebDAV server settings and moved it from the bottom toolbar below file listings to settings. The WebDAV server button is still shown below the list of locations (Local Files, iCloud, external folders…).
- You can now share the WebDAV server URL by tapping on it.
- In some rare cases, the first line of a file was displayed without syntax highlighting although the file was highlighted.
- Fixed a bug in the text layout cache that could lead to a seldom crash when editing text.
- Fixed a bug when creating a new file in iCloud using x-callback-url. There was an error message and the file was not created. Now, the file is properly created in iCloud.
- Fixed: changing the file extension when renaming a file (e.g. from .html to .md) did not update syntax highlighting
Ratings and Reviews
The Big T application FANTASTIC
LOVE IT! I am an old mainframe guy, and most of my career I used Xedit. I want to say Kedit was
For DOS or Command Line but no GUI. So basically PC based, maybe AIX or Red Hat. Just not sure. My point is Xedit and Kedit were soraly missed. GUI is OK but the dev. For Windows, AIX, or day Redhat stuck to what they knew. Sad.
Your T-Rex editor name (I like that better than Textastic name. The other does not sing). I was using NOTES+++ for a while, rich with function, but not intuitive. It would take an investment on time to fully understand. Plus, I really never trusted it. Nothing is Free. How to the get $$.
T-isfortext or T-Rex are better names. To the point. I LIKE IT! It’s simple, intuitive, lite-weight, offers numerous function. It’s the closest to a green screen than you can get.
The other editor I have is TextEdit and it looks to be very nice. But there is a learning curve and I just cannot spare the time right now. I will sit down with it sooner or later.
Wish list. If you could purchase Kedit, not sure it’s avail, and integrate if making it available again would be great.
(1) you have a really good product with T-Rex (Textastic) do whatever you can to keep quality HIGH.
(2) Please Stay far away from subscription base charge back. Do not! Stay away! If you need funds to maintain or grow application, get with me and I’ll propose a model that will do just that.
I do all my web development in this app
the best text edit on iPhone for sure!
No words, I use this program over years, it’s simply the best. Easy to access FTP with the phone, transfer files, edit files, just wipe out for example an error on your website immediately on the go. Because I use it over years, I can say the programer is an amazing guy!! He didn’t bring a program to the App Store for a fast money, he’s passionate about it and loves it, there is a regular improvement and development since years! I read the change log from 8.0, and again saw it will be better now than ever before :)))
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Alexander Blach
- 22.7 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2021 Alexander Blach
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.