"Best music app tool I own, period!"
"Never downloaded an app so fast in my life"
"Excellent app for music theory. It is brilliantly supported by the developer who is continually updating it... The app is indispensable for the reference and learning of music theory."
Tonality is the ultimate chord, scale, and general music theory reference tool for musicians of all skill levels. It allows you to explore a large database of chords and scales and includes tons of MIDI functionality, including 3 bundled Audio Unit (AUv3) plugins.
NOTE: Tonality will always be a one-time purchase with free upgrades. All IAPs are for tips only.
• Chord dictionary with over 1,000 chords for piano and guitar
• Listen to a chord by tapping on it, or arpeggiate by swiping
• Reverse search for chords containing certain notes (using piano or fretboard)
• Search for chords by root, quality, and/or extension
• Sort chords by key, number of pitches, etc.
• View different inversions and omittable notes
• View a list of related scales (especially useful for jazz musicians learning to improvise)
GUITAR CHORD CHARTS:
• View guitar chord charts for all chords (even custom ones)
• Supports multiple guitar tunings and instruments
• Generate voicings by criteria like fret range, number of fingers used, and finger stretch
• Left-handed option
• Scale dictionary with over 1,000 scales
• Search for scales by root and name, and filter by various tags
• Reverse search for scales containing certain notes (using piano or fretboard)
• Sort scales alphabetically, by key, by number of pitches
• View scale degrees and note names
• View ascending and descending versions
• View scales in the treble or bass clef
• View all modes and scale chords
---- Includes Three MIDI Audio Unit Plugins ----
• View the names of the piano chords/scales you play in real time
• Record identified chords and export as text/MIDI
• Add chords via list, scale chords, fretboard, or even through MIDI input
• Full control of the voicing: you can edit individual notes' octaves and velocities
• Grid sizes from 2x2 to 12x12
• Strum bar for performing arpeggios or individual notes
• MIDI trigger mappable with MIDI learn capability
• Automation parameters for footpedal control
• CC mapping on XY axes
• Multiple velocity sensitivity modes
• Supports drag and drop to reorder
• Custom presets can be saved and shared across hosts
• Patchstorage integration for community sharing
• Export pad sets as MIDI files
• View MIDI input in a grand staff in real time
• Detects chord names
CIRCLE OF FIFTHS:
• Interactive circle of fifths: view key signatures and scales for major and minor keys
• Focus on just the chords belonging to a given key
• Learn to recognize notes, melodies, intervals, chords, and scales by ear!
• After each session, view what gave you trouble and create a level with just those items
• View detailed statistics about each training session and your training history
MUSICAL TERMS DICTIONARY:
• View musical terms and their definitions/illustrations
• Tempo, symbol, articulation, dynamics, and more
MUSICAL TYPING KEYBOARD
• Special keyboard for typing and previewing chord symbols
• Works wherever iOS keyboard does
• Create your own chords, scales, fingerings, ear training levels, and definitions
• Add custom string instruments and guitar tunings
• Show set theory information for any pitch class set
• Change color scheme
• Choose the playback instrument (upload any .sf2 file)
• Show only basic chords/scales (for beginners)
• Choose note naming (English or Solfège)
• Custom stringed instruments and tunings
• Export entire chord pad sets as MIDI files
+ Dragging a chord chart or any other item over a section tab switches to that tab – great for dragging guitar charts from the chords tab onto chord pads
+ Added ability to create and edit custom instruments/tunings
+ Added guitalele tuning (ADGCEA) and more banjo tunings
+ Prioritized lower-fret voicings by default for instruments with fewer strings
+ Added ability to export entire pad set as a MIDI file, choosing the tempo and chord duration
+ Added ability to set section markers on chord pads (verse, chorus, bridge, etc.)
+ Standalone mode now remembers “randomize velocity” and other related settings
+ Added setting which causes MIDI Thru to pass only notes which are not used as pad triggers
+ Improved preset browser (including ability to sort presets by last modified date)
+ Added more inspiration presets for common chord progressions
+ Standalone mode now autosaves pad sets and will reopen the latest version in case the app crashes
- If a preset gets corrupted, the ability to send it directly to me for correction will be presented
+ Custom fingerings are now shared between the standalone app and AUv3 version
- Fix custom fingering editor
- Fix “pentatonic” definition
New as of 9.0:
+ App-wide UI improvements
+ Option to use compact-height chord and scale displays (turn on compact tables in settings). This is especially useful to view many results at a time in the AUv3 version
+ Improved accidental handling: no more duplicate enharmonic results
+ Ability to set a “disambiguation accidental” which is used if the correct display accidental cannot be determined from context. The current setting is displayed as [b] or [#] at the top of the chord/scale tabs
+ Ability to switch display to the enharmonic equivalent on chord and scale info pages
+ Ability to view musical set theory information (Forte number, prime form, interval vector). This must be turned on in settings
+ Tap a pitch (e.g. D) at the top of the chord/scale tab multiple times to quickly cycle through accidentals (e.g. Db, D, D#)
+ Collapsible information sections for chords and scales
+ Ability to show interval content for each chord or scale. Tap to change between semitones, intervals, and whole/half
+ Improved voicing editor
+ Added setting for MIDI thru
+ Behind-the-scenes changes to make MIDI triggering and quick-assign snappier than ever (and reduce CPU usage)
+ Chord pads will snap their accidentals to the currently selected key when transposing
+ Pad editing popups can be dismissed by tapping outside
+ Faster loading of large chord pad sets
+ Velocity pad responds to single taps in addition to dragging
- Stopped circle of fifths from playing factory piano sound when selecting a preset
- Prevent creation of scale chord sets with theoretical keys
- Fixed bug with MIDI trigger lights and performance mode
+ Added DADGCD, Eb Standard, C Standard, All-Fifths, Cello, and Cavaquinho tunings
+ Improve usability of fretboard searcher
+ Improve default chord charts
+ Improve algorithm for hiding equivalent voicings
+ Option to turn off red skipped strings
- Fixed minor bug where cached guitar voicings could display with the wrong accidental
+ Reverse search using a fretboard!
+ Option to show only parent modes
+ Moved sevenths/triads setting into scale chords area
- Removed M(add13) and m(add13) chords (they are redundant since they are equivalent to 6th chords)
Circle of Fifths:
+ Improve VoiceOver accessibility for circle of fifths on iPad
+ Tonality can now handle key signatures all the way through double and triple sharps. If all goes well this has absolutely no impact on the user, but hey it’s nice to say that it can
+ Improve chord identification
Ratings and Reviews
Fits Perfectly into my workflow
This app fits perfectly into a few of my workflows. Keep it open on my phone next to the keyboard when I’m writing songs; the chord ID is so useful! I’m a guitar player but have been enjoying trying to write on piano. Often will accidentally stumble on a few keys that sound nice together and now I can get the name of the chord and if it’s 7th, sus, add 4...etc along with variation or inversions and a very straightforward diagram showing the combination of keys to play for each. It’s already helped so many times.
And all has been a bonus, something I didn’t even know I needed.
The main features I bought it for were chord pads I can customize and use in AUM and all the music theory info is right there so I can learn what I’m doing and experiment without stopping the jam. Lots more but I’m still learning what this app can do. The Developer seems to keep adding features to make MIDI setup smooth which shows me he’s got his finger on the pulse and this will be an app that continues to be excellent!
Developer Response ,
Glad you’re enjoying the other features as well. Stay tuned for more chord pad updates!
Next Level Creative SongWriting Tool
This app does it all! It’s worth more than it cost. The developer listens to advice and ideas and executes them to continue improving this wonderful tool. I use it in BeatMaker 3, Cubasis 3, AUM, and on my phone to write chord ideas and store them. Don’t no how to play…no problem….it’s super intuitive workflow is easy to get use too. I start ideas on this app and then use it to lay-down chords. The chord pad feature is spectacular. You can custom the colors and the editing of chords is a breeze. From standard to inverted it can do them all. Save custom chords too. Want to know what chord your playing? It can detect that. Need help with Circle of Fifths? Gotcha! Unbelievable!!!!!!
Great app! One of the best!
Seeing how I got this app early on, the transformations it has gone through and the ingenuity in those transformations really has me impressed. All without losing focus of its main functions!
Does what it says. Has a few AU devices which is wonderful. I love the clipboard.
Main feature request: wish strummer had an omnichord type function where it can be set to do a range of octaves of a chord rather than just one. Would open a lot of potential for effortlessly doing inversions etc.
Long shot feature request: have the ability to play back sequences of chords as progressions, with some progressions already available to select. Of course, this is way beyond the primary scope of this app haha
Anyway, yes, I have feature requests. But this app is already complete. It’s just learning more tricks 😊. That’s why it’s a no-brainer 5 out of 5 stars. Thank you for the time you’ve put into making this!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bryce Hostetler
- 117.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Jamm Hostetler
- In-App Purchases
- Small Tip $0.99
- Large Tip $5.99
- Medium Tip $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.