"Best Music App Tool I Own, period!"
The ultimate music theory reference tool for musicians of all skill levels. Tonality allows you to view and listen to a large database of piano chords and scales and features a chord-recognition tool that can identify chords you play on your instrument. You can run Tonality as an AUv3 MIDI receiver and view chords that match MIDI input you route to it, or as a MIDI source and send chords to other apps.
- Over 1,000 chords and the ability to create custom chords
- Listen to a chord by tapping on it, or arpeggiate by swiping left or right
- Search for chords by root, quality, extension, or any combination of these
- Reverse search for chords containing certain notes
- Sort chords by key, number of pitches, key span, and more
- View different inversions and omittable notes
- View chord scale degrees and note names
- View a table of related scales (especially useful for jazz musicians learning to improvise)
- View chords on a piano and in the staff (treble or bass clef)
- Chord identification - record a chord through your device's microphone and Tonality will transcribe and identify it
- Commonly used scales and fingerings and ability to create custom scales
- Search for scales by root and name
- Reverse search for scales containing certain notes
- Sort scales alphabetically, by key, by number of pitches, and more
- View scale degrees and note names
- View ascending and descending versions
- View scales on a piano and in the staff (treble or bass clef)
- Add custom fingerings
Three MIDI AUv3 PLUGINS
- Open "Tonality: Chord Identification" as an Audio Unit MIDI processor and view the names of the chords you play in real time
- Tapping on any of these chords will reveal detailed information just like the main app
- The "Tonality: Chord Pads" AUv3 allows you to send MIDI chords to other apps
- This plugin gives you full control of the voicing: you can edit each note's octave and velocity individually
- Grid sizes range from 2x2 to 9x9
- Supports drag and drop to reorder chord pads
- Custom presets can be saved and shared across AU hosts
- Useful as a songwriting and composition tool as well as for live performance: you can try out chord progressions or load the chords to your favorite song
- This audio unit allows you to view MIDI input in a grand staff (treble/bass clef). It also displays chord names in real time and lets you select the key signature to use.
CIRCLE OF FIFTHS:
- Interactive circle of fifths: view key signatures and scales for major and minor keys
- Jump to relative or parallel keys
- View scale chords in the selected key (I, ii, iii, etc.)
- Learn to recognize notes, melodies, intervals, chords, and scales by ear!
- After each session, you can view what gave you trouble and create a level with just those things
- Ability to create custom levels
- View detailed statistics about each training session and your training history
MUSICAL TERMS DICTIONARY:
- View common musical terms and their definitions/illustrations
- Add your own terms!
In addition to adding your own custom chords, scales, ear training levels, dictionary terms, and fingerings, you can:
- Change the color scheme
- Choose the playback instrument (piano, electric piano, organ, strings, guitar, or any .sf2 soundfont file)
- Choose whether to show all keys (including theoretical ones) or only commonly used keys
- Show only basic chords and scales (great for beginning musicians)
- Choose note naming (English or Solfège)
- Set playback speed for scales and playback length for chords
Added new scales and chords
Minor bug fixes:
- In the chord and scales tables, exiting an info page would cause you to lose the current position in the table (fixed)
- Theoretical switch changes now take effect immediately
---------- New in 4.0 ----------
- New ear training tab! Practice recognizing notes, melodies, intervals, chords, and scales by ear. See app description for more details.
MUSICAL TERMS DICTIONARY:
- New dictionary! View common musical terms (and associated illustrations)
CIRCLE OF FIFTHS:
- View scale chords (I,ii,iii, etc.) in the selected key
- Better animations
- Circle of fifths is more playable (in that tapping the same chord after selection will play it again
CHORDS AND SCALES:
- Swipe up in the table to view the number of results found
- Added harmonic major, augmented, and Neapolitan scales
- When using the keyboard to search, scale results whose root matches the lowest note selected are given priority
- Ability to rearrange tabs on smaller screens
As always, feel free to contact me with any problems or suggestions, and if you're enjoying Tonality please write a review!
Ratings and Reviews
Great new music reference and production app!
I purchased this app two weeks ago around the day it was released. Since then, there have been two solid updates. One was expanding it's use to AUv3 and MIDI In, the other included the Circle of Fifths as a visual reference tool.
I recommend this app for practicing with your instrument, as well as for referencing MIDI notes on plugins in whatever iOS DAW setup that you use.
I'm looking forward to using Tonality as it grows, along with any potential upcoming music apps that have this level of response and detail.
Best Music App Tool I Own, period!
Update: Wow, that update was fast! 🤓👍
I didn’t even get through their list of features before I bought it! This is going on both my iPad and my iPhone. My only complaint is that the sound fonts sound cheesy but that’s what I got it for. The acoustic piano sound font could be better.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the nice review! The soundfonts were chosen to be the best quality for their size (so that the app download wasn’t too big) but I agree. Support for adding your own soundfonts might come in a future update.
Please contact us if you have any other suggestions!
UPDATE: That future update is here. You can now add your own soundfonts.
I love this app! Its organization makes it super easy to find chords/scales, especially with reverse searches. The chord identification is especially cool (basically you can play chords and the app will identify them). I loved making some of my own chords and I love the graphics. 10/10 would recommend.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.