“The Divine Office is... the prayer not only of the clergy but of the whole People of God.”
Universalis is a missal and a breviary, and more besides. It gives you the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office) and the Mass for every day; plus valuable additional material.
Tens of thousands of people use Universalis daily. Come and join them!
• Single purchase: the app lasts for ever. It does not need a subscription to make it work.
• No Internet needed: everything you need is already built in.
• No cleverness needed: each day, Universalis works out exactly what you need to see.
• View any date: past, present and future.
• Use your own local calendar: USA, Canada, Singapore, Ireland, and every diocese in Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
• Easy to read and use: a choice of fonts; big or small type; dark or light theme; page-turning or scrolling.
• Optional add-on: spoken audio read by real human beings (this needs a subscription: see below).
• Latin if you want it: by itself or alongside the English.
• Help and support: tips and instructions are included; or press “Contact Us” to send us a message, and we will reply.
• The “About Today” page tells you what saints are being celebrated today, worldwide. It includes reflections, biographies and illustrations.
• “Mass Today” gives you the Order of Mass and today’s readings and prayers, all in one page. Bishops have been known to use it to say Mass from their iPads!
• “Spiritual Reading” gathers the patristic and hagiographic readings for all the saints and feasts of the day.
• “The Rosary” has a verse of Scripture for every Hail Mary of every Mystery. Spoken audio is included.
• Daily Books takes selected spiritual classics and presents them in daily instalments to focus and enrich your prayer life.
• Commentaries on the day’s Mass readings from a leading biblical scholar.
And more – Home Screen widgets; liturgical events for your iOS calendar; daily email service; copy and paste into other apps; reminders and alarms; Mass readings on your Apple Watch.
LITURGY OF THE HOURS (Divine Office)
The complete official Liturgy of the Hours of the Catholic Church, as used worldwide. Morning (Lauds), daytime (Terce, Sext and None), evening (Vespers), night (Compline) and the deeply reflective Office of Readings. Do as many or as few of them as you like.
• The psalms and canticles match the official English and American books. Scripture readings – United States: RSV. Elsewhere: Jerusalem Bible (with RSV as an optional add-on).
READINGS AT MASS
The exact prayers and readings at Mass for each day.
• United States: the official NAB version. Elsewhere: Jerusalem Bible readings and Grail psalms, as used at Mass in most of the English-speaking world.
OPTIONAL ADD-ON AUDIO (in-app purchase required)
Just press the button and listen! If you want to see what you are hearing, the text is highlighted to follow the sound. After an initial download, no Internet is required. Works with CarPlay too.
• Spoken English Liturgy of the Hours: every Hour of every day of every year. Monthly or annual subscription.
• Spoken English Mass Readings: First and Second Reading and the Gospel. Jerusalem Bible translation only. Monthly or annual subscription.
(You can listen to a sample before subscribing. Following App Store rules, subscriptions renew automatically but you can cancel auto-renewal at any time.)
• Sung Latin Compline (Night Prayer): by the boys of the Schola Cantorum of the London Oratory School. Single purchase.
St Patrick falls on a Sunday this year. We have now accounted for the complications this causes for the calendars of Ireland and New York.
Ratings and Reviews
Including the option to use the New American Bible for the Liturgy Of The Hours is mandatory
The app has been awesomely created and in presentation it looks qualitatlively superior to all the other free apps I‘ve run into so far for the Liturgy Of The Hours. I live in the US and have recently started to lead a prayer group in my workplace, and here comes the big problem: fellows familiar with the Office and owners of physical breviaries or users of free apps follow the New American Bible translation. And of course I cannot force people to spend money in an app just because I as the leader just feel comfortable using the Universalis app and hence following a Bible translation that nobody else follows in my group... So I guess in the meantime I‘m gonna start using another app like iBreviary, which is great and uses the NAB translation but is not that flexible and rich as Universalis. That until hopefully the Universdalis developers incorporate the NAB option as it‘s the case for the Readings at Mass. I don‘t regret having spent 11 bucks for the app though; like I said, it‘s been a great tool but for the moment just for personal prayer here in the US, maybe not for group prayers with American fellows.
Transformed my prayer life
I always wanted to engage morning and evening prayer using the catholic liturgical calendar and liturgy of the hours. I had some success, but felt there should be a better way. The Universalis app is almost too good to be true. First of all, the app is world-class and offers a beautiful, super intuitive user interface. Furthermore, it meets the challenge to create a Breviary that is accurate, comprehensive and provides customization for each person or group to make their own decisions within the structure of the Liturgy of the Hours. My time in prayer has exploded from perhaps 15 minutes per day (on most days) to about an hour a day because of this app…and I never miss a day. It has inspired me so much that I have goals for growing my time in prayer each day further. Thank you for this life-giving app!
Because my routine changes frequently, I like that there are audio options for most categories. I can maintain devotions no matter where I am which is wonderful not only spiritually but practically as I am often in locations beyond WiFi and cell phone signal. The readers are human and intentional. Mostly, though, I just read. There are long versions and short options for many categories. It has been simple to adjust the print size so that I can read and pray without my glasses. My young daughter loves singing Salve Regina at the end of playing the rosary. She loves praying the Angelus, too, partly because of this app. I think it’s because she can hear the voices of children praying with the adults in the audio versions. The app updates regularly and I have not experienced glitches within the app.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Universalis Publishing Limited
- 83.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Apple Watch
- Requires watchOS 4.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 1996-2024 Universalis Publishing Limited
- In-App Purchases
- All Hours $2.99
- Daily Mass Readings $1.99
- All Hours $29.99
- Daytime Hours $2.99
- Sung Latin Compline $3.99
- Daily Mass Readings $19.99
- Add-on translation: RSV Hours $2.99
- Revelations of Divine Love $5.99
- Daytime Hours $29.99
- Journey into Light $5.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.