Wake up to a new crossword puzzle every day for free. When you are ready to take your game to the next level, activate your 7-day free trial to enjoy subscriber-only benefits, including tournament play, tracking your stats, free hints, accessing our archives, and playing ad-free.
To continue enjoying these great features and unlimited access after the trial, simply subscribe!
• A NEW CROSSWORD EVERY DAY. Play USA TODAY’s iconic daily crossword on-the-go for free.
• COMPETE AND WIN. Enter tournaments, get prizes, and earn badges.
• PERSONALIZED PLAY. Monitor stats, play ad-free, pause puzzles, enable night mode, and more.
• ACCESS THE ARCHIVES. Get more than a decade’s worth of crossword puzzles.
• HELPFUL HINTS. Ask for clues if you get stuck.
The USA TODAY Crossword app is free to download and play. In-app purchases are available for in-game currency and subscriptions. Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. See the app's settings for more details and customer service contact information.
Developers: Andrews McMeel Universal/Propaganda3
Terms of Service: http://static.usatoday.com/terms
Questions or comments? Email USATODAYmobile@usatoday.com
We are working to make updates to our app to improve your experience. The latest version contains bug fixes and performance improvements. We love feedback! If you are having fun with USA TODAY Crossword, please leave a review. You can also send us feedback directly at email@example.com!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
5 Stars for Content, 1 Star for App Functionality
Why does this app always have issues loading the daily crossword and archived crosswords? Or opening without crashing? Every time there is an iOS update, the app has some issue that makes it unfunctional. I love these crosswords. So much so, that I somehow haven’t deleted this app despite these problems. Please just fix it. Look at your reviews, hire another developer, and just make the app work. There are some people who pay for this app. I’m sure many more would actually consider the paid version if the app actually worked with any level of consistency.
Great puzzles, terrible, terrible interface
The app’s new solving interface is so bad, the first time I saw it I thought it was a bug. Here is an abbreviated list of its crimes against usability:
- The puzzle grid has been squished and pushed to the side to make room for an awkward column of clues to its left, which makes the grid harder to read, makes its tap targets smaller, and introduces wasted space above and below.
- Worse, this new clue column is redundant given that both the current down and across clue ALREADY APPEAR above the keyboard.
- Speaking of the keyboard, all the keys have been squished to the left in order to fit some teeny tiny navigation buttons that move you from clue to clue and letter to letter. So not only is it harder to type accurately, the user is also prone to accidentally moving the cursor while typing. Cool!
- Then, there’s an always-visible set of hint buttons immediately below the last row of letters on the keyboard. These are also very easy to tap by accident and, if you can believe it, the “reveal letter” and “reveal clue” buttons don’t even ask for confirmation before filling in the answer!!
This app breaks virtually every UI design rule in the book! It’s especially a shame because the USA Today crossword is otherwise so good these days, but the app is so terrible I stopped solving them. Would give this zero stars if I could. So disappointed.
Crossword: 4; App functionality: 1; Tech Support: 0
I love doing this crossword everyday, but the app kept crashing. Tech support told me to uninstall and reinstall. I did, but since then I have been unable to sign in to my account. Another email to tech support and they said, “try it using it at McDonald’s or Starbucks.” Of course, this makes no sense, but I couldn’t anyway because they were all closed at the time due to the pandemic. Tech support closed my ticket marking it as resolved since I couldn’t do that. Another email to tech support and this time the ticket was marked resolved by saying, “we have forwarded your problem to the department that handles passwords.” Weeks later and I have never heard a thing from this department. As a highly recognized company, USA Today should be embarrassed to have their name affiliated with this app, especially since USA Today is so popular among crossword puzzlers.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- USA TODAY
- 92.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- USA Today Crossword $5.99
- USA Today Crossword $39.99
- 150 Coin Pack $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.