Wake up to a new puzzle every day and play for free. Purchase "puzzle packs" to obtain additional puzzles. Ready to take your game to the next level? Subscribe to compete in tournament play, track your stats, get free hints, and enable additional subscriber-only benefits such as unlimited archives and no ads. Activate your free 21-day trial subscription to enjoy these features — then step back to a basic membership and play for free, or become a subscriber to continue your unlimited, ad-free access.
Developers: Andrews McMeel Universal/Propaganda3
• NEW PUZZLES EVERY DAY: Play USA TODAY's famous daily crossword on the go
• THOUSANDS OF PUZZLES: Get more than a decade of our classic crosswords
• PERSONALIZED PLAY: Monitor stats, pause puzzles, go ad-free, use night mode, and more
• COMPETE AND WIN: Enter tournaments, get prizes, and earn badges
• HELPFUL HINTS: Get clues when you get stuck
The USA TODAY Crossword app is free to download and play. In-app purchases are available for in-game currency and subscriptions. Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. See the app's settings for more details and customer service contact information.
Terms of Service: http://static.usatoday.com/terms
Questions or comments? Email USATODAYmobile@usatoday.com
- Minor updates and fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Riddled with small inconveniences but fun
Crosswords are fun in general, and I’ve always enjoyed USA Today’s. Here are a few of my problems and suggestions:
1. Completed puzzles while logged in do not always save.
2. I wish there was a way to download puzzles for use when internet is not available.
3. I LOVE the tournament feature but hate how easily it kicks you out of the puzzle (e.g. phone calls, accidentally closing the app). My suggestion instead of being kicked out of the puzzle: allow puzzlers to continue completing the puzzle (for fun and to receive a score for personal achievement) but disqualify from the tournament. Thoughts?
Developer Response ,
I would recommend deleting the app, restarting your device, and then reinstall the app.
Buggy enough that I gave up
I enjoyed the crosswords when it worked, but the app seems to crash when opening it very often. Most times I would try to play, I would have open the app 5-10 times before it would finally load. During one especially bad attempt, I got logged out, as well. Logging back in when it finally opened revealed that all of my badges and progress stats were gone. The app showed by current streak as 6 days, but by day 11, my badge stat was only at 5 days in a row. About 3 days ago, I checked the reviews, saw advice to uninstall and reinstall to fix crashing problems, and gave that a shot. It helped for 2 days, but after 5 or 6 tries today, I gave up completely, uninstalled the app, and came to leave a review. There are other crossword apps out there...give them a shot before this one.
Model: iPhone 7 Plus
iOS version: 12.3.1
Developer Response ,
We apologize for the inconvenience. We would like to troubleshoot the issue. Using your mobile device please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention "crashes when opening the crossword app". Thanks
Great crosswords, not a great app
The crosswords are great, but this app needs serious UX/UI help. Its really hard to keep track of which puzzles you have completed or which are in progress as it shows different little icons that don’t make any sense. The icons don’t actually seem to match up with any progress in particular - completed, not started, unlocked, in progress, etc. It doesn’t save your puzzles 50% of the time so you may spend 45 minutes on a puzzle, only to have it completely blank next time you log in. Not only that, but you have to use coins when playing for free and so you lose unlocks every time you are forced to restart, only to find the crossword blank all over again.
Developer Response ,
We apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please send me the device and operating system that you are using so we can troubleshoot the issue?
- USA TODAY
- 89.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- USA Today Crossword $5.99
- USA Today Crossword $39.99
- 150 Coin Pack $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.