Coaching app for athletes looking to take their running to the next level.
*** Update: Now including V.O2 Apple Watch companion app ***
How it works
Athletes: Get an invite from a coach or choose one coaching option.
• Adaptive Trainer (14-Day Free Trial)
• Goal Race Plan
• Match with a Private Coach
Coaches: Start your 30-day free trial and learn how to manage your athletes at https://vdoto2.com/vdotcoach
• Assess your current running fitness (VDOT)
• Built-in personalized training paces
• Sync training calendar with GPS data from Apple Health, Coros, Garmin or Strava
• Sync workouts/pace targets to Apple Watch, Coros or Garmin for real-time guidance
• Adapt your training based on your improvement
• Work with your coach, communicate and adjust training
Unlike most running apps, VDOT knows you. It understands the type of runner you are, what you're training for, and how to maximize your efforts. It also gives you more control over your training, leveraging your feedback to deliver real-time data which fine tunes your training and leads to continuous progression. With fully automated, truly personalized and highly-adaptive training, VDOT helps you achieve measurable improvement — all in an effort to make you the best runner you can be.
With a focus on training over tracking and coaching over running, VDOT offers access to the highest quality, Olympic-style training for runners of all levels-right from any mobile device. Designed to help runners train correctly and more intelligently, VDOT elicits maximum benefit while reducing the required effort. These high-quality workouts promote healthy, responsible, and beneficial sessions while simultaneously preventing overtraining.
V.O2 was built from the foundation of a scientifically-validated training methodology. Based on former Olympian, author, and legendary running coach Jack Daniels’ exercise science principles, the methodology not only benefits runners of all ages and abilities when it comes to improving their running fitness but it also serves as the best measure of running economy across a variety of runners and events, making it an ideal way to compare performances. High-school, college, Olympic and non-elite runners have all trained, ran, and succeeded with the VDOT methodology.
-”Dr. Jack Daniels has had a bigger influence on training-for-running than anyone. He might be considered the Albert Einstein of the sport." - Runner’s World Magazine
Default language - en-US
* Added support for Suunto, Polar, Fitbit and Wahoo watches
* Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
a smart app worthy of your smartphone
I’ve been running for years on my own with little to no training plan in place and stagnating as a result. The ease and accessibility of the Vdot02 app and its experienced coaches take the guess work out of building a smart, sustainable, and strengthening program that I can stick to. In a world of one-size fits all training apps, it’s awesome to have a program that’s designed specifically for me and my goals and doesn’t break the bank! Plus, I can’t deny the results!
It’s super easy to use and syncs up with your favorites (I use it with Strava, no problem.)
Run, don’t walk, to an AppStore near you...oh and the app also made me better at puns ;)
Front runner training app, with some big bugs to work through.
I’ve had this app for a couple of weeks as I’ve been training and I just have 3 problems with it.
First, that I can’t edit a workout after it’s been added and synced, So I can’t say “no this is the activity that I want targeted!”, it picks first and doesn’t let you change it, more freedom to edit would be wonderful.
Second, you have to act like your own coach planning workouts, I can’t just say “workout tomorrow” it has to be a set amount of reps and distance, but I can’t say that because I have no idea until I’m about to do it!
Third, I can’t add an easy run after I already ran it, they won’t connect and it won’t add to my training log, instead if I push “completed easy run” it doubles my distance for that run.
Overall great app and so smart, I’m learning a lot from it and it’s good for organizing my training and keeping track, but more freedom is necessary for this app to work right. Or you have to strenuously plan, add, keep track, and try to keep up, but if you would free it up for editing on runs and workouts, it would become the greatest organization, training, coaching app out there. Good luck
Dream for interval running
This app solves the absence of strong interval tools in more popular services like MapMy. There’s a lot of sophistication around run design, with great audio cues based on time and distance. Really complex routines are easy to plan. I can’t imagine interval training without it. The coaching plans are good, especially if you run year-round and get bored with rote schedules.
A few minor complaints:
1. I think the GPS is short. My intervals often appear unrealistically fast. When comparing the same run in much more wifey used and monitored running apps, V.02 seems to sometimes register a mile in as little as 0.91 miles. I don’t think that’s a problem for routine training, but may harm target training for races.
2. The UI remains kludgy. Creating a “library” of intervals ends up being messy because, for example, I’ve had to create a bunch of 800m intervals with different target paces and recovery times.
3. The Apple Watch app is junky. The primary thing I imagine most runners want during an interval is the remaining time or distance. I haven’t figured out how to make that the dominant visual element, or to stop my podcast app from taking precedence on the display. This is not a problem with MapMy, so it is solvable.
What I’d really love is to see MapMy or another major running app pay the V.02 team a zillion dollars for their great work and then integrate this tech into their better-designed interface.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Run SMART Project, LLC
- 92.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Watch
- Requires watchOS 9.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © The Run SMART Project, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- Adaptive Training Subscription $12.99
- Adaptive Training - Annual $99.99
- Adaptive Training Subscription $9.99
- Marathon - 15 weeks $69.99
- Marathon - 18 weeks $79.99
- Marathon - 24 weeks $99.99
- Half Marathon - 12 weeks $54.99
- Base/Fitness - 8 weeks $44.99
- Half Marathon - 15 weeks $69.99
- 5 Km - 12 weeks $54.99