Viewfinder Preview is an iPhone app for previewing camera framing for any combination of camera and lens. Instead of spending all that time setting up your big camera, just choose your desired film/sensor size and focal length in the app and point the iPhone camera at what you want to photo to verify framing. If you are happy with the framing then you can get the big camera out. The app has a large database of camera sensors details and film formats but if the format you desire isn’t there you can add your own custom format. The app is targeted at stills photographers or film makers working in either film or digital. If you don’t have your big camera with you, Viewfinder Preview is still great for photo sketching, location scouting or story boarding.
The app includes
- Customisable menus so you can include the film/sensor formats and focal lengths you care about.
- A fully configurable light meter.
- You can take photos with it, so you have a record of shots you were framing.
- Photos taken with the app include additional data that describe the film format, focal length and lighting meter settings at the time the shot was taken
- Add notes to your photos
- A photo gallery for viewing photos taken with the app which also displays the additional data
- Share images in emails, messages
- Create albums of photos from the same project, trip etc
- Create PDF documents of albums
- Film stock emulation
- Wide angle lens adapter support
- Viewfinder Preview now supports multiple languages and has been translated into French.
Ratings and Reviews
Great addition to camera bag
I use this to preview and scout 4x5 and 5x7 film jobs using fixed focal length lenses. Although some of my lenses are wider than the iPhone native focal length, i can still get an idea of what will be in frame. I can’t wait until they come out with a wider lens on the iPhone. Currently working on my iphone 6s. It would be great to be able to have screen saved to photo album but i just do a screen capture now snd that seems to work. Great app. Thanks
Love this app!
I absolutely love this app. It instantly became an integral part of my large format tool kit!
The only thing that is keeping me from giving it 5 stars is it seems to eat up my iPhone 7+ battery incredibly fast. I just need to make sure to carry external battery with me if I’m out shooting. Make sure to close the app when not using because it will drain your battery, at least it does on my 7+.
Even with the battery issue, I still highly recommend this app. Fix the battery issue and this is a perfect app!
Great work Adam!
Developer Response ,
Hi rofoto, sorry to hear you are experiencing battery issues. If you contact me at email@example.com I can have a look at this in more detail.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.