Viewfinder Preview is an iPhone app for previewing camera framing for any combination of camera and lens. Instead of spending all that time setting up your big camera, just choose your desired film/sensor size and focal length in the app and point the iPhone camera at what you want to photo to verify framing. If you are happy with the framing then you can get the big camera out. The app has a large database of camera sensors details and film formats but if the format you desire isn’t there you can add your own custom format. The app is targeted at stills photographers or film makers working in either film or digital. If you don’t have your big camera with you, Viewfinder Preview is still great for photo sketching, location scouting or story boarding.
The app includes
- Customisable menus so you can include the film/sensor formats and focal lengths you care about.
- A fully configurable light meter.
- You can take photos with it, so you have a record of shots you were framing.
- Photos taken with the app include additional data that describe the film format, focal length and lighting meter settings at the time the shot was taken
- Add notes to your photos
- A photo gallery for viewing photos taken with the app which also displays the additional data
- Share images in emails, messages
- Create albums of photos from the same project, trip etc
- Create PDF documents of albums
- Film stock emulation
- Wide angle lens adapter support
- Added `Edit Menu...` option to camera, aspect ratio and focal length menus
- Fixed Volume button camera shutter on iOS 15.
- Added option to move shutter button to right hand side of screen in landscape mode.
Ratings and Reviews
Great tool for Large Format photogs
I use this all the time when scouting photos and deciding which lens to mount on my 4x5 or 5x7 camera. I can’t wait for the wide angle lens compatibility upgrade to use the wide angle lens on the 11-Pro to see visualizations wider than 90mm.
It would be helpfull if the expose button could be set to screen capture the whole screen with the overlay and data in addition to a setting to just take the photo only.
Thanks. Great app.
Great app!... with something missing.
I am an architectural photographer and this app streamlines scouting and exploring options before I really get down to the business of shooting the job. I really like the flexibility of the “rangefinder” mode. But I can think of something that would make this app much more valuable to my scouting process. Since I almost exclusively use “shifting” lenses in my work, it would be fantastic if in the rangefinder mode, I could shift those series of focal length frames, with maybe a ‘hold & drag’ with one finger gesture. In that way, at most focal lengths I can incorporate my intended shifts into my scouting shots! That would be a great boon to the architectural shooters out there. Of course such a feature would only be possible for focal lengths inside of the iPhone max focal length (which I think is about 13mm).
I’d love to hear from the developers if this is a feature they would consider... or if this is already possible, but I haven’t found how to do it. It would make this the perfect app for my pre shoot scouting. Thanks!
Depends upon your needs
I just bought this app. Primarily to see how it compares to Artist Viewfinder Mark II. Viewfinder Preview’s focus seems to be as much on visually the film used as it does on camera format lens selection.
For many people this would be a useful tool at 15% of the cost of Artist Viewfinder. But personally, I find its camera selection system limited and lens selection process clunky.
Everybody is different and use apps differently. Bottom line, these viewfinder apps are a tremendous God send. They make set up much easier and make you a more measured thoughtful photographer. You can’t go wrong!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Adam Fowler
- 18.6 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019-2021 Adam Fowler
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.