Alexa on your Apple Watch (standalone, no phone required), your iPhone and iPad.
Control your home devices, ask general questions, add items to your shopping list and set timers etc. It is an Alexa implementation. On your wrist.
There are ten things you should know before getting this app:
1. The very first Apple Watch (from 2015) is not supported; The best experience is with the Apple Watch 4 and newer. Whilst the app works with older Apple Watches, the experience is slow;
3. Your phone controls installation of the app to the watch, not the app. Put your watch on a charger to speed up install time;
4. Not all audio content can be supported. Amazon don't allow third-party apps such as this app to play music, audio books or some daily-news content, and make announcements;
5. You can use a Siri Shortcut to launch the app and start speaking, just by raising your wrist on Apple Watch. See the support page on how to configure;
6. All watch complication types are supported, including those really weird ones. Also you can change the complication icon under Settings;
7. The watch app listens automatically on launch. There is an option under settings to do the same thing on the iPhone;
8. If the weather or time are wrong, ensure you've enabled Location access in the Alexa app to the "Voice in a Can" device, and that you have granted Location permissions to the app on your phone;
9. You don't have to say "Alexa" ... just speak your command when the app is listening;
10. You can change the language that you speak and hear responses in, under "Settings" on the watch and phone. Only languages supported by Alexa are supported. The language should be set automatically.
If you have questions or any support issues please don't hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org ... you should get a response within 24 hours, and often in minutes.
Voice in a Can is in no way associated with Amazon.
1. You can now choose the icon used for the watch complication (just two options for now) under Settings on the watch app;
2. Support for Airpods Pro;
3. The voice language is set automatically based on device language (you can change it under Settings);
4. The watch app size has been halved, hopefully reducing installation issues;
5. Portugese, Spanish and Italian and more added. Please let me know if any of the translations are wrong;
6. There is now an option to display captions as Alexa speaks. You may need to logout and log back in again for these changes to work.
For those of you that like the nitty gritty details, in technical terms I've implemented/updated the following Alexa Voice Service interfaces: Alexa 3.0, Alexa.APIGateway 2.0, Alexa.Discovery 3.0 and updated to SpeechRecognizer 2.3, SpeechSynthesizer 1.3, System 2.0 and InteractionModel 1.2
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
One star reviews need to chill out
I really like this app! I saw some of the negative reviews but after reading the developer’s responses I decided to try it for myself. It sounds like it’s just one person working on this and what it does is so useful. I use it to turn on my lamp mostly and it’s nice being able to ask Alexa instead of Siri on my apple device. I gave it 4 starts out of five because I believe it can be optimized a little. Also I think updating the app logo, flashing up the interface and a name change might help sell it a better. I have it on the front screen of my Apple watch and just wished it looked a little cooler. Lol. Still a really great app so keep up the awesome work :)
An Excellent App So Far
I usually don't review an app right after installing it, but this app worked perfectly right after the install. It was very easy to install and it installed fast. I'm using an Iphone Xs Max in conjunction with the Series 4 watch. There were no glitches at all. It does just what I want it to. It turns on and off my lights and it adds to and shows my shopping list plus answers questions. My goal was to not carry my phone into the store for my Alexa shopping list. It works with wi fi and cellular. So far I am very happy with it. If I encounter any issues I will report them. I am always leaving my phone behind so this feature really adds to the function of the watch. I do like it so far.
UPDATE: Used it the first time in the grocery store on my watch with the phone left in the car. I asked it to read my shopping list. It said you have 10 items on your shopping list and then showed me the list. How convenient! My watch does have cellular connection. My goal is to leave the phone behind as much as I can. I could not do that before this fantastic app because I needed the phone to read the list. I can't tell you how many times I have laid the phone down at the register only to get to the car and realized I left it behind. This app now allows me to leave the phone in the car while shopping. Thank you. It is also nice to control my thirty plus light bulbs with this app too.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. If you or anyone else discovers issues or have questions or suggestions please don't hesitate to email me at email@example.com ... I use my app too, and want it to work for everyone.
Awesome app One suggestion though.
I thought that Alexa on your Apple Watch was not possible, that is until I found this awesome app. I have a suggestion though. I am blind and I use voiceover. On my Echo Dot I have it set up to play a sound when I say Alexa, and when The device stops listening to me. I can press the start button, but it takes a while to start listening, some kind of beep or indication that lets me know that the app starts listening would be nice. Amazon's Alexa app does have a beep that when you press the Alexa button, indicates that the app is listening. But so far, really awesome app.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for this great feedback...
I worked closely with a blind user to try to make the app more usable for people using voiceover. The first version was a disaster: You'd tap the start/stop button to start speaking and then voiceover would say "start stop" (the button label) and Alexa would stop listening before you got a chance to say anything.
I believe that I use a very gentle haptic when the microphone starts, but I'd be happy to also make it make a sound when voiceover is enabled. If you can reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org I can put out a beta for you to try, and we can iterate until it is good.
- Atadore SARL
- 74 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 and watchOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Atadore SARL
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.