what3words is an easy way to identify precise locations. Every 3m square has been given a unique combination of three words: a what3words address. Now you can find, share and navigate to precise locations using three simple words.
Use what3words to:
- Help emergency services know exactly where to find you
- Plan exact meet-up locations
- Tell car breakdown services where you are
- Navigate to any destination easily
- Save your favourite memorable spots – a viewpoint, waterfall or proposal location
- Save key work locations, from incident reporting to delivery entrances
- Help people find your business or Airbnb
- Guide people to accessible entrances.
what3words addresses are accepted by over 80% of UK emergency services as well as the AA, and many UK delivery companies. Businesses and hotels display what3words on their contact pages, and booking confirmations – anywhere you would normally find location information.
- Find your current what3words address offline
- Compatible with navigation apps including Apple Maps and Google Maps
- Save your favourite locations and categorise them into lists
- AutoSuggest prompts you with intelligent suggestions
- Available in over 40 languages
- Navigate offline with compass mode
- Add a what3words address to a photo
If you experience any problems or have any questions, email us at email@example.com
- Performance improvements
- Switch to map view directly from a list
- Photo mode has been moved to a new home under the app menu
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Critically Important App
I just told my family members to download and install what3words. Everybody should have it. This app can save lives. Don't get stuck in a situation where you can't communicate your exact location except in the most circumstantial fashion, by numerical coordinates, or by saying what you see around you, or by walking to find the mile marker while other drivers are zooming by at 65mph. What if you are trapped in earthquake debris, or are on a rooftop in a flood, or have lost your way walking in the Pine Barrens like Paulie and Chris in The Sopranos, or had a bad fall while hiking? Three words is all it takes for people to locate you with a precision of a 3x3m square.
Great potential, but.......
This app has great potential to get to a much more accurate location than normal GPS, but it has a couple of shortcomings that need to be addressed. First, if you decide to save more than a few locations you will have a hard time finding the one you want since there isn’t any way to sort them. They are just listed in the order you saved them. Until app makers like Apple add 3words to their contact app this is a problem. 3words could at least list them in alphabetical order using the name you set for the location. Second, the voice recognition is useless. I set 3 words to US English and it never locates the correct address. It always finds addresses that aren’t even in the US and the street numbers and names aren’t even close to what I am saying. One other small thing is when I copy an address from Contacts that includes an apartment number or suite number, 3words isn’t smart enough to parse out the apt or suite info so it can’t find the address. I have to edit it out myself manually. Since voice recognition doesn’t work, the app is kind of useless if you are in a hurry. It will also be much more useful if Apple and others add support to recognize the /// as a link so you don’t have to copy and paste the location.
This is a very good idea and concept. The app though needs some improvements:
1) A way to actually copy the three words without all the extra text copied with it. Maybe this is in the settings maybe this is a separate ‘copy’ selection.
2) A way to pronounce the three words. Yes there’s a microphone to listen for input but there is no output.
3) selecting neighboring squares around your Geo location is very clunky. The app should have accessed all of the neighboring square data. It should be much quicker than it is.
4) when absolute precision is not necessary, it would be great to have a list of the three words surrounding you. That way it would be easy to find an easy, pronounceable, & fun three word combination. This would be useful for finding a word selection for your house or business when it is acceptable to be off a little bit.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the review and feedback. Just FYI, you can copy & paste 3 word address with the press and hold function. Other feedback will be informed to our Product team. Thank you.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- What3Words Limited
- 256.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Oriya, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Zulu
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © (C) 2020 what3words Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.