Wine Maps provides a handy visual reference, for the wine regions in twenty countries around the world. Its a great tool for anyone looking to learn more about the world of wine, and even better for those looking for maps to study from. It's perfect for those teaching others about wine, and Wine Maps provides a number of ways of exporting or printing maps.
Wine Maps focuses exclusively on mapping the wine regions of the world. It offers one hundred and sixteen maps, defining the wine regions. It is NOT an encyclopaedia of wine, and does not give any textual definitions or comment. Wine Maps is a purely visual reference, which allows you to search for the location of a wine region. With the exception of the top wineries in Bordeaux, individual vineyards do not appear on the maps. There's just too many of them!
Each map is one or two taps away from the main screen. Simply choose from the main wine region list, and you instantly have a map of that region. You can search for regions by name, and Wine Maps will neatly zoom into its location. The surrounding regions will be greyed out to highlight the selected region. Each map has the wine regions clearly presented, along with rivers, cities, and major towns.
You can adjust the major components for map. for example to hide the labels for wine regions. You can hide the rivers, or the towns and cities. On each map, controls are provided to show, grey out, or hide individual wine regions.
For commercial users, who would like to make more extensive use of the maps, an in-app purchase has been added. This provides a licence to distribute maps, via websites, videos, presentations, and more.
Wine Maps is also bundled with a companion app for your Apple TV. Allowing you to show of your wine knowledge, and TV simultaneously!
• Locate one of 1450+ wine regions in seconds
• 116 Maps covering 20 countries
• Accessible top down approach
• Maps can be printed, or exported as images
• A licence for commercial distribution is available as in in-app purchase
• Maps can be altered. For example, to hide labels, rivers, or towns and cities.
• Individual wine regions can be hidden, or greyed out
• Works offline
• iPad, iPhone and Apple TV support
• Currently on its 23rd update. Wine Maps is actively developed (now with a version for the Mac desktop).
What regions are included?
- Overall World Map
Old World - 12 Countries, and 61 Regions:
- Czech Republic
(with fifteen main subregions, and further sub-subregions. Eleven from Bordeaux and six from Burgundy),
(with nineteen subregions)
(with ten subregions)
New World - 8 Countries, and 35 Regions:
(with four subregions),
(with subregion Ontario)
- New Zealand
- South Africa
(with subregions of sixteen states, and fourteen subregions of California)
All images generated using Wine Maps are issued under the "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License".
If you have purchased the Commercial Licence in-app purchase. All images generated are issued under the "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License".
By purchasing Wine Maps, or the Commercial Licence in-app purchase; you agree to adhere to the terms of the licence, which is appropriate to your purchase.
- Update the map of Germany, correcting the city name of Trier
- Updated the map of North Carolina in the USA, with the new Crest of the Blue Ridge Henderson County AVA
- Updated the map of Virginia in the USA, with the expansion of the Monticello AVA
- Updated the map of Sonoma in California, with the new Petaluma Gap AVA, and expansion of the North Coast AVA
- Updated the map of California in the USA, with the new Petaluma Gap AVA, and expansion of the North Coast AVA
- Updated the map of Rhone in France, to include Cairanne AOC and Sablet AOC in the labels and search
- Other minor fixes and corrections
Ratings and Reviews
Best in its class, a work in progress...
Don’t be fooled by my title; wine maps will always be a work in progress. You will NOT find a better wine map app at $.99. Even electronic wine books with maps are not as nicely portrayed as those in this app. As the developer continues to refine current content and add new maps, which he certainly intends to do as indicated by the version history, this app will easily attain 5 Stars.
A note about the navigation system: It is clean and simple. And while I found myself wanting to either navigate or explore additional information within the actual maps, I quickly adapted to using only the search and drop down menu. It would be a considerable amount of work—but worthy of an additional purchase option, if active navigation within maps could be used to display pop-up information about the selected region.
This app is amazing! I love all the details, you can zoom into a specific area, AND YOU CAN PRINT IT!
I’d love to see grape varietals along with the regions. Perhaps that would be difficult, especially with new world wines.
Anyhow, glad I purchased it, for ONLY .99 cents :)
Great for novice and professionals!
This map has helped me with my staff and introducing them to new regions. It has also been amazing while I study, maps are crucial in the Somm world and this has been so helpful for me on the go!
- Jonathan Lord
- 54.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Jon Lord
- In-App Purchases
- Commercial Copyright Licence $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.