WorkOutDoors is the only workout app for the Apple Watch that displays a detailed vector map whilst you exercise. It is also the most configurable workout app, with over 300 live metrics, graphs and buttons that can be displayed in many different screen layouts. It's perfect for running, cycling, hiking, skiing, geocaching and much more.
The map is drawn using vectors, which means that it can be smoothly zoomed, panned or rotated, just like maps on the iPhone. The data comes from OpenStreetMap, which includes paths, tracks, cycle trails and much more.
Maps can be stored on the Watch for use when you don't have your iPhone or cannot get a data signal. And the price includes maps for the whole world. No further purchases or subscriptions are required!
Interval Schedules can be created to assist your workout. For example warm up for 5 minutes, run fast for a mile and recover for a minute 5 times, and then cool down for 5 minutes.
The iPhone app provides detailed analysis of workouts; exporting of workouts; configuration of watch screen layouts; importing of GPX routes; and the ability to control the map areas that are stored offline on your Watch.
Workouts performed using the WorkOutDoors watch app can also be inspected on the iPhone by using Apple's Health and Activity apps.
WorkOutDoors includes many useful map and workout-related features:
- automatic map rotation according to direction of motion or the compass;
- a breadcrumb trail of your route;
- the map can be panned with your finger, and zoomed with the digital crown;
- a circular scale appears when zooming in or out;
- "map-only mode" shows the map without starting a workout;
- GPX routes can be imported and displayed on the map;
- routes are coloured in varying shades of purple: red for uphill; blue for downhill;
- routes can be drawn 'hollow' to show underlying trails;
- POIs and route waypoints can be tapped for more details;
- double tap for a full screen map;
- many different screen layouts and text sizes;
- configure multiple data screens and cycle through them by swiping the display;
- configure what metrics are shown on each screen from a pool of over 160 live metrics;
- configure interval schedules (e.g. warm-up, run fast then rest x 10, cool down)
- manual or configurable automatic laps (e.g. every mile or km);
- summary information, including lap splits, can be shown at any time during the workout;
- splits available for pace, distance, time, heart rate, calories, elevation and steps;
- interval alerts for distances (e.g. every mile), times, steps, calories, ascent and descent;
- limit alerts for heart rates, pace, speed and cadence;
- configurable heart rate zones with dozens of zone-related metrics and graphs;
- configurable target pace/speed with fields such as distance vs target and time vs target;
- target can be shown as a live icon on the map to show how far ahead or behind you are;
- 3 individually configurable rolling pace fields (e.g last mile, last minute etc);
- 16 different activity types;
- multiple types of graphical data fields: historical graphs, bar charts, trail maps and more;
- button fields provide shortcuts for any operation or to quickly show any settings screen;
- "Now Playing" music controls now available from a button within the app;
- workouts can be directly uploaded to Strava or exported as GPX files for use in other apps and websites;
- works even without an iPhone on watches with GPS;
- compass pointing north (which also acts as a button to control rotation);
- "start compass" pointing to your start location (tap it for distance to start);
- GPS signal strength indicator (tap it to see accuracy in metres);
- Battery level indicator;
- Geocache GPX files can be loaded (tap a cache for full groundspeak data);
If you own an Apple Watch and enjoy running, cycling, hiking, skiing, or any other outdoor exercise, then WorkOutDoors is the app for you. Give it a go!
- Supports the compass in the Apple Watch series 5 (with several new settings and metrics).
- Compatible with iOS 13 and watchOS 6
- Enhanced auto-pause configurability for running, cycling, walking and hiking
- New command to exit the current repeat loop during an interval schedule
- New configurable activity menus
- Ability to control the length of time that messages appear on the watch screen
- Ability to control the amount of smoothing applied to the current pace
- Improved Screen and Profile file manipulation functions
- lots of other improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
This is THE app for trail running and hiking on an Apple Watch
If you’re like me, and you trail run/hike a lot and you have an Apple Watch but want the functionality of a Garmin or Suunto, this app effectively turns your Apple Watch into one. I love how customizable it is, so I can see on one screen my map and route, distance, time, cumulative elevation gain, speed vs my target speed, and my heart rate. Amazing.
But beyond that, I emailed the developer Ian today about how to extend battery life since I’m going on a long 8 hour run, and he responded within 20-30 minutes with a list of super helpful tips, including a major one—if I decide to recharge the watch mid-run with a power pack , make sure to end the workout because watchOS may kill the app and I’d lose my workout data. I find it’s rare to have such a committed and engaged developer, so this puts WorkOutDoors at the top of the GPS mapping/outdoor activity tracking apps for the Apple Watch. Thanks Ian!
One of a kind
I am a runner and a cyclist. I enjoy mountain biking and riding new trails. I have found the Apple Watch to be a great tool for tracking my activities and even playing music when running but was severely lacking in maps for off road activities. This app was the solution to that problem and most likely prevented me from buying a dedicated fitness device like a Garmin watch or cycling computer.
I was bit skeptical that this would actually work well but I was blown away. I customized the screens just the way I want to have them for my activities, downloaded some maps to the watch for offline use, and even loaded a gpx route. I hopped on my mountain bike and went for a ride and it all worked perfectly. The upload to strava at the end of the ride was perfect as well.
Bottom line: This is a fantastic app! Well worth $5.
Great Apple Watch app
I got a S3 Apple Watch recently and I like the basic functionalities provided by a few native apps but the main problem I have with the smart watches in general is I don’t find any other apps particularly useful on watch. I rarely find myself prefer to use the watch version of the app when I have the phone. I am very glad I found this app though since it actually provided added utility to the watch when i am outdoor either doing exercise or hiking. The transfer of map from iPhone to watch is especially cool since you don’t need the phone around to look at the map on the watch. It basically replaced my native watch exercise app whenever I am outdoor. I liked it so much that I gifted one to my wife so she had to try it out. I’m not 100% how much battery it uses compared to the native app but so far seems alright.
- Ian Muriss
- 14.6 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Computer Client Services Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.