Now supports the Always on Display!
WorkOutDoors is the most advanced and most configurable workout app for the Apple Watch. It's perfect for running, cycling, hiking and any other indoor or outdoor activity.
Note: WorkOutDoors requires an Apple Watch Series 3 or later. It is not necessary to have your iPhone with you during a workout.
- 42 different activity types, including all the major activities
- Configure multiple screens with metrics from a pool of over 600 data fields and graphs
- All workouts are saved to Apple's Health system and are viewable in the Health & Fitness apps
- Export workouts as FIT/TCX/GPX files, or automatically upload to Strava (even from the watch)
- Dozens of alert types (e.g. mile/km notifications; high heart rate; low speed; zone changes etc)
- Configure which metrics are displayed and/or spoken for an alert
- GPS signal strength shown before starting a workout, so you can wait for a good signal
- Create your own Interval Schedules: e.g. Warm Up for 5 minutes, Run 5 miles; Cool Down
- Supports Bluetooth sensors for speed, cadence, distance, heart rate & power (including Stryd)
- Zones can be configured for heart rates and also for pace and power metrics
- Associate actions with gestures: e.g. double tap to start a new interval, or to show music controls
- Auto-pause available for many outdoor activities (including Apple's algorithm where available)
- Set a Target Pace and see how far ahead or behind you are (can show a target icon on the map)
- Analyse workouts in great depth on the iPhone app, including detailed lap and interval splits
- Supports watchOS 9 running metrics: power, ground contact time and vertical oscillation (only available on recent models of watch).
- Maps can be cached on the watch for use when offline
- Topographic vector map option with configurable contours and hill shading
- Maps can be smoothly panned and zoomed, and can rotate according to the compass
- Map-only mode for when you don't want to start a workout and just need a map
- Uses OpenStreetMap, which includes the trails necessary for outdoor workouts
- Maps cover the whole world. No further purchases or subscriptions required for anything
- A breadcrumb trail of your whole route is displayed on the map during the workout
- A scale is shown on the map when you zoom, making it easy to see the distance to features
- Load GPX routes and display them on top of the map to aid navigation
- Routes are coloured by gradient: from red for steep uphill to blue for steep downhill
- Get alerts when you deviate from or return to the GPX route
- Waypoints in routes are shown as icons (supports "groundspeak" geocache data)
- Shows a red compass pointing north and a green compass pointing to the start
- Tap the green compass to see the distance to the start (double tap a compass to hide it)
- "Smart Contours" use different colours to make it easier to read the terrain at a glance
The app also has many, many more features (far too many to list here!).
All this is included for a single one-off payment. There are no extra in-app purchases or subscriptions. If you own an Apple Watch and do any form of exercise, then WorkOutDoors is the app for you. Give it a go!
- New activity: Table Tennis
- It's now possible to change road text size as well as POI size on maps
- Bug fixes
Note: This version does not work on the Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 models.
Ratings and Reviews
Hands down the best running app I have used!
WorkOutDoors is hands down the best watch running app that I have used! I have run using Garmin for over a decade and really like Garmin. When I purchased my first iPhone I decided to also get an Apple watch. I loved the functionality of the watch, however was unimpressed with the built in Workout app. This led me on a search for a better app. I ended up testing TrainingPeaks, Strava, iSmoothRun, and WorkOutDoors. I didn't like the subscription models for TrainingPeaks or Strava. Multiple searches named iSmooth run as the best Apple running app and in the beginning it looked like it was going to meet my needs. However, as I used the app and started analyzing the data I realized laps were being displayed incorrectly in Apple health and the cadence it reported was simply wrong. I reached out to the developer who never responded. And then ... I found WorkOutDoors. I have never had so much power on my wrist. You can have 4+ screens, you can have 18+ metrics on each screen, the list of metrics you can choose from is in the 100's, you can easily build workouts, you can get alerted (voice and watch) if you are outside a defined zone (like heart rate or pace), you can get key metric alerts (voice and watch) by time and/or distance, you can download maps and routes to your watch and get alerted if you are off your route, you can reviewed detailed information about each run, etc.
Powerlifter and Occasional Runner
This is an exceptional app, especially on the iWatch Ultra! The amount of information that you are able to see while participating in whatever activity you are passionate about is truly invaluable, and it gave me an insight into data that I never really thought about. I will admit, for those who are not experienced with interpreting this type of data can be intimidated and overwhelmed, but that’s what is so fascinating about this app because it actually encouraged me to do more research and learn about what this data means so I am more informed as an athlete while allowing me lead more efficient workouts. That said, the screens are endlessly customizable so the information that you can see is always at visible in a clear and easy to read layout!
I will add that if the developers are reading this I would like a more features that test my v02 max, analyze my recovery periods, and sleep while providing that in maybe a morning notification so I can see how my training is going and where I need to improve. I am not an ultra athlete so I don’t need something like a Garmin, but I did like a lot of those forward looking metrics that provide me with some predictive analysis as opposed having to input that information onto a another app to synthesize that information. Overall, this is a very good app and in love with the functionality.
Amazing!!!!!! Must Have!
This app is the REAL DEAL! It is worth every penny and then some! I am an average workout person, but all the other apps do not have enough controllable data. Also, this app announces any run metrics I want. You can choose any metrics (including graphs) you want to see on the screen from as little as 2 metrics to over 10!! The customization doesn’t end with the screen or announced metrics, you can even create your own custom intervals into whatever workout you like. Make no mistake, this app does anything you want and can be for basic users to advanced users. I would say there is some customizing you will want to do, but it can just be a “download and use” app too. I don’t just use this for running, I also use it for HIIT training, strength training and interval training. This app does it all! Forget all the other apps. All of your info exports to Apple Health accurately and you can even export the files from the app to upload into other apps manually. Before I purchased it, I messaged the developer and he responded right away and answered my questions! They are really cool and want to make sure you are getting the help you need when you have questions. I could go on, but just get the app and you’ll see for yourself!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ian Muriss
- 29.1 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2023 Computer Client Services Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Very Generous Tip $4.99
- Generous Tip $1.99
- Tip $0.99
- Massive Tip $9.99
- Fanatical Tip $19.99