Xynthesizr is a streamlined yet capable 32-step matrix sequencer/monotimbral synthesizer with generative features and MIDI.
"This really is a lot of fun and, hooked up to a synth like Thor or Z3TA+, there are plenty of creative options to be explored here." - John Walden, musicappblog.com
"Xynthesizr is about the only tone matrix app that can keep up with my short attention span. There are so many ways to shape, and constantly reshape, your sound... There's a lot to play with here!" - Tim Webb, discchord.com
"Overall, Xynthesizr is a very interesting instrument that is fun to play and lovely to look at." - Tom Flint, Sound on Sound
"Xynthesizr holds a lot of creative potential, and between a user friendly interface, a practical onboard synth, inspiring generative features, and solid MIDI implementation, this is a useful tool that can really benefit a wide range of iOS musicians." - Chip Boaz, iosmusicandyou.com
"...one of my absolute go-to apps" - Sean Garland, iosmars.com
Create patterns and modify them in real time, or let Xynthesizr do it for you using its morphing algorithms. Change scale and key, or transpose within a scale on-the-fly. Tweak parameters of the internal synthesizer or output MIDI to your favorite apps and devices. Record and share your creations.
◦ MIDI support for syncing and sending notes to synths, samplers and drum machines
◦ Notes to MIDI channel mapping for driving multiple apps or devices simultaneously
◦ MIDI input to control transposition with note messages and synthesizer/sequencer parameters with CC messages
◦ Ableton Link support
◦ Audiobus 3 support
◦ Inter-App Audio support
◦ 40+ bundled presets
◦ Save, export and import your own patterns and presets
◦ Record and export audio
◦ Gestures to easily edit patterns on-the-fly
◦ [Conway's Game of] Life-like cellular automata and probability-based pattern morphing
◦ Limit pattern morphing to a selected area of the grid
◦ Variable tempo, step length subdivision and pattern length
◦ Variable velocity per step
◦ Selectable keys and scales with ability to transpose in real time
◦ An option to tie consecutive notes of same pitch to make longer notes
◦ Shift and flip patterns
◦ Create and use your own scales and Life-like cellular automata rules
◦ Color-coded octaves
Synthesizer and FX feature:
◦ 32-bit floating point sound engine
◦ 16 voice polyphony
◦ 2 antialiased oscillators per voice
◦ 4 waveforms (sine, triangle, sawtooth, square)
◦ 4-pole (24 dB/oct) low-pass resonant filter
◦ 2 ADSR envelope generators (amplitude and filter cutoff frequency)
◦ 2 LFOs to modulate 4 selectable LFO targets (filter frequency, pitch, amplitude, second oscillator detune)
◦ Stereo delay, reverb and randomized panner
Fixed Key and Transposition UI layout issues on some iPhone models
Ratings and Reviews
Best step sequencer
Easy to use, stable, fast to program; use it to control your other iPad synths and drum machines. Visually, you can be looking at up to four different MIDI outputs simultaneously on one screen interface, which can be very helpful: bass, drums, keys x 2 for example. Also good for real-time tweaking of sequences on the fly. 32-steps, you can choose seq. length, so odd time signatures like 9/8 are no problem, which is a BIG plus. Internal synth is actually pretty good too. Velocity programming is a breeze, would love to see that extended to other modulation, filters or volume. This also has very robust generative features.
This is a bug not a feature
Lovely and fun sequencer and synth but one glaring issue: fine tune won’t work when you land on a incremental BPM for example 73.3. If you have ever shared files between devices or friends you know the problems a decimal can bring. This is when you need fine tuning! Unfortunately fine tuning control only changes the number before the decimal. Maybe the dev needs to Google what fine tuning means? Idk I hate anything that is not exact BPM. No more wishy washy in between beat counts please
I can’t stop exploring all the great features of this app. Every time I wonder if a particular feature might be implemented, I find that it not only there, but it exceeds my expectations. I liked the app so much that I purchased the other two apps by this developer.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Yuri Turov
- 14.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2013 Yuri Turov
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.