Artificial intelligence and music go well together.
The iPad and iPhone app YouCompose is proof of that.
Meet Aimée, your personal, artificially intelligent assistant composer, she’s ready to help you compose great music.
She will assist you, whether you're a beginner or a professional composer, adding her vast knowledge about music theory to your creativity.
You give her your melodies and decide how she should handle them. Aimée then finishes your composition, doing all the hard work that normally takes hours, but now is done in seconds.
She will also be happy to show you her own compositions. You can always ask her to compose a sonata, fugue or scherzo and incorporate the results into your own compositions. Aimée doesn't mind, she is there for you!
Apart from being a serious tool, YouCompose is fun to play with. YouCompose is of great educational value as well. Many teachers from around the world use YouCompose in their harmony, composition and orchestration classes.
- 80 instruments are included. You'll find all regular orchestral instruments, keyboards, organs, guitars, basses, chorus, percussion and more.
- With over 40 preset ensembles you can quickly setup YouCompose for ensembles like a saxophone quartet, string quartet or orchestra, woodwinds or brass sections and much more.
Creating and editing:
- You create melodies using the built-in virtual keyboard or a MIDI keyboard, by entering single notes in a grid editor, by importing a melody from a MIDI file or by asking Aimée to make one for you. Aimée will then harmonize these melodies in a classical or jazz style taking into account the instruments you selected.
- A composition can be edited in many ways. YouCompose allows you to copy, paste, move and delete movements, segments and individual notes.
- You can ask Aimée to compose a complete 3 or 4 movement classical or jazz symphony for your ensemble all by herself, or let her add a new movement to an existing one. She can do that based on her own melodies or on melodies you provide.
- You can control the way she harmonizes your melodies, by setting Harmonization Points and other options, or you can also leave that completely to her.
- If you wish you can even combine classical and jazz styles within one piece.
- Special tools allow you to enter lyrics, apply melodic transformations or create dynamic effects.
Sharing and saving:
- YouCompose is Audiobus, AudioCopy and Inter-App Audio compatible and supports background audio. This means that you can record its audio using Audiobus, GarageBand or any other Audiobus compatible or IAA host App. In Audiobus you will find remote triggers for reverb and output level adjustment. With AudioCopy you can copy audio from movements, parts, segments or fragments to any other AudioCopy compatible app.
- YouCompose is CoreMIDI compatible. This means that you can also utilize a MIDI keyboard, a MIDI sound module or synth apps running on your device together with YouCompose.
- You can export audio files directly to other apps on your device. Supported audio file formats are: MIDI, aac, m4a, aiff, caf and wav. A m4a file contains data like ‘artist’, ‘song name’ and ‘lyrics’. You can export audio from movements, parts, segments or fragments.
- You can view your composition’s full score and the individual parts (transposed when applicable), print them directly from YouCompose to an AirPrint compatible printer or export them to any PDF viewer like iBooks.
- YouCompose allows you to send and receive compositions from other devices running YouCompose via Dropbox, email or an AirDrop connection.
- You can share your composition with others by sending an email containing a YouCompose file, m4a audio files, MIDI files and/or a PDF document with the full score and the individual (transposed) parts.
- Several sample compositions containing well known melodies are also included in the package.
Deleted: Russian national anthem from sample compositions.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome Compositional Tool
I'm kind of a sucker for this sort of program/app, and usually I'm left disappointed when I continually take the plunge. However, with Youcompose that thankfully is not the case! This is perhaps the best app of its kind on many levels. First of all the work flow is logical in its layout and flexible also. And you can choose to direct the musical output in several ways, or if you're feeling a bit lazy and uninspired at any particular moment, you will be pleasantly surprised with what the harmonization tool will come up with. The MIDI feature also makes this app so useful, fun and productive. Although I'm not yet sure this has MIDI tempo sync? But for the price this app is the best I've encountered so far. It comes with some stock sounds that are rather weak but it doesn't matter as their only purpose is to allow you to hear the voicing and counterpoint as well. Lastly, it's a breeze to either push play and have it transmit MIDI to your DAW, or you can email the MiDI file to yourself. Oh, and it will even print out your song score! I think that's pretty darn cool if you ask me!
Full of Surprises - coremidi? Inter App Audio? Yup! Ignore low raters
Low Raters, I’ll deal with you later in the review… Starting with the cheerful and clever tutorial, this app surprised and delighted me. I’m not a trained composer but this app made me want to be one. I think the devs and creative minds behind this gem need to be recognized as a real rarity these days - quality for quality’s sake. Bravo! ———— ————- ————- To all the confused reviewers who want this to be better than Cubase and Sibelius combined # or the reviewer who’s big complaint was that this software couldnt possibly be used because there’s not a $6,000 full multisampled orchestra included - have some perspective and recognize the cost of this app in comparison. I imagine you are the kind of person who regularly gives Uber drivers 3 stars or rarely tips more than 15% at restaurants. You understand it’s not like a movie rating, right? It’s pass/fail. After a certain number of non-5-star ratings, the app starts to suffer. Just like Uber drivers. Sorry, rant over.
I love this app!!
After years of trying to understand composition technique - I have a more than patient source of examples and assistance in creating my own compositions. I have copies of this app on both my iPad and iPhone. I have tried many algorithmic composition tools over the years, YouCompose beats them all! It’s much easier to understand orchestral concepts like hocketing, I can just compose an example of a rich score to illustrate the concept based on my own melodies. The same is true of creating things for smaller jazz ensembles. Thank you.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Wout Bremer
- 330.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014 W. Bremer
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.