Take this handy app on your bird-watching trips for quick access to bird calls and assistance with bird ID. Now with improved location data functionality and expanded Smart search parameters.
HOW WILL THIS APP HELP YOU?
• Covers all 994 bird species
• Updated information with fresh input from new contributing authors
• All species text in English AND Afrikaans
• Over 1100 bird calls covering 885 species
• Quick-Play bird calls right from the menu
• More than 3200 photographs
• Improved Location data functionality
• Expanded Smart Search filters – search by bill type, bird size, colour, patterns and features, tail shape, habitat and more.
• New seabirds and raptor illustrations with fine attention to detail
• Distribution maps updated with latest known ranges
• Expanded life list functionality
This app will be updated regularly over the coming years. These updates will aim to improve on the content, features and functionality in the app, and they will be free to the customer. We value the input from customers, and urge you to email us at email@example.com with any recommendations or features you’d like to see.
Ian Sinclair is one of Africa’s foremost field birders and has authored or co-authored
over 20 bird books.
Phil Hockey (1956–2013), former Director of the Fitz Institute at UCT, was a
recognised authority on the biology of southern African birds.
Warwick Tarboton is a well-known bird expert and writer who has produced a
number of well-received books.
Peter Ryan is Director of the Fitz Institute at UCT and has authored several books
on the region’s birds.
Niall Perrins is a dedicated birder, photographer and bird guide.
Dominic Rollinson holds a PhD in seabird conservation and works as a bird guide.
JOIN OUR GROWING COMMUNITY
If you’ve got a few comments or great suggestions to share, we’d love to hear from you at www.mydigitalearth.com
* Uninstalling/reinstalling the app will result in the loss of your list. We recommend that you keep a backup from the application (My List > Export).
* Got questions? Check out the Sasol eBirds FAQ for answers to the most common queries: https://www.sasolbirds.co.za/faq.php
Fixed an issue where some locations were giving low species counts in My Location (you could have to disable and then reenable the My Location feature).
Ratings and Reviews
This is a great app for day to day use whilst birding in Southern Africa, and a significant improvement on the previous version. The illustrations are excellent and I enjoy the feature of being able to manually zoom in on the images. The app includes a variety of photos and calls / songs for each species, with text that is thorough but concise, and aimed at field identification, and exclusion of similar species. I can highly recommend this app
The big question is do I need to upgrade? The short answer is no. It’s almost the exact same app as the previous Sasol eBirds app. A few minor changes changes but basically the same app. In some ways it’s gone backwards for eg , the illustrations and pictures are in landscape. Turning the phone to landscape the illustration doesn’t orientate to landscape. Tap on the description and it doesn’t display in full screen. When viewing a illustration that’s been tapped on you can’t slide to the next image. You have to return to the main page and slide to the next image then tap on it again. This is a way to make money from the same app. The updated info should be offered to the old app.
The developers listened when we requested to have the “last seen” back. Thank you very much. What about some stats on birds seen. New birds seen over time.... Birding is all about the amount of species on my list. How fast am I adding new species? Chronological list of new species seen etc...?
Developer Response ,
Hi there, thank you for your 5-star review. Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope you continue to enjoy the app!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cool Ideas LLC
- 1.2 GB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Cool Ideas LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.