Betterment Invest & Save Money 4+
Investments & Cash Accounts
Invest and save better with Betterment. Investing apps are a dime a dozen, right? So, you might be wondering why you should download this investing app. It’s simple: Betterment is a robo advisor built to make investing and saving easy, with a personalized experience that fits your needs whether you’re an investor-in-training or a stock market guru. Invest and save your money for the things you want most, so you can live better. Join the 770,000+ people who entrust us with over $34 billion.
As an independent digital investment advisor and fiduciary, Betterment’s mission is to help you do what’s best for your money so you can live better. Get started in minutes with just $10 and no minimum balance. Keep track of your financial life across your short- and long-term savings goals with one easy-to-use app.
INVEST IN YOUR FUTURE
- Choose from a list of expert-built, curated portfolios of ETFs
- Go beyond your 401(k) with a traditional or Roth IRA
- Limit your tax impact with automated tax tools and strategies, like tax-loss harvesting and tax coordination between accounts
WE MAKE IT EASY
- Sign up in 3 minutes
- Start investing with a $10 min deposit
- No minimum balance
GROW YOUR CASH WITH 4.00% APY (as of 3/15/23)
- Cash Reserve secures your money during volatile times while earning a high yield (12x the national average)**
- FDIC insurance covers your money up to $2M ($4M for joint accounts) at our program banks – that’s 8x* what most banks offer
AUTOMATE YOUR FINANCES
- Set up recurring deposits on your preferred schedule
- Rebalance your portfolio and reinvest dividends automatically
- Smart investing for your personal savings goals and all levels of experience.
- Customize your stock-and-bond risk level.
- Choose how your money will make an impact with Socially Responsible Investing options. Pick from our Broad, Social, or Climate Impact portfolios.
- Questions? We’ve got resources galore or ask our financial advisors!
KEEP MORE OF YOUR MONEY
- Invest with us for just $4/month, or pay an annual fee of 0.25% on your investing account balance when you:
- Have a total Betterment balance of $20,000 or more across any accounts you hold at Betterment, or
- Set up a recurring deposit(s) of $250/month or more into any account
- Upgrade to Premium for unlimited access to advisors at just .4% of your invested assets, a fraction of the cost compared with traditional advisors
- These are CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals, salaried never commissioned, for a significantly lower management fee
TURN LIFE GOALS INTO MONEY GOALS
- Save for that exercise bike, your next vacation, and more
- Use our projection tools to create a plan
- Calculate how to reach your target with our goal forecaster
SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE
- Get our all-in-one financial dashboard
- Connect outside accounts, see your net worth, and view your investment performance, all in one place
GET MORE WITH BETTERMENT
- Crypto Investing with diversified expert-built portfolios and in-depth resources
- Manage money for everyday spending with Checking
- Retirement planning with a 401(k) plan for your business
*Standard insurance amount of $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, is provided by the FDIC and subject to FDIC requirements.
**National average savings account interest rate is reported by the FDIC (as of 1/17/23) as the average annual percentage yield (APY) for savings accounts with deposits under $100,000.
Checking accounts and the Betterment Visa Debit Card provided and issued by nbkc bank, Member FDIC. Checking made available through Betterment Financial LLC. Neither Betterment Financial LLC, nor any of their affiliates, is a bank.
We’ve doubled FDIC insurance† to $2M (or $4M for joint) for Cash Reserve with our program
Ratings and Reviews
I love the update and the new logo so much I had to write a review 😍 I’ve been using Betterment for over 4 years for all my investing. I chose Betterment because of its ease of use, it’s automated guidance, and it’s low fees. I don’t know a ton about picking investments myself, and honestly I don’t want to spend my time researching or worrying about my investments. Betterment takes care of all of that for me! I just set up automatic deposits on the date of each paycheck, forget about it for a while, and watch my money grow over time 🤩
The sunrise update made me smile because the new logo is a representation of exactly how I feel about Betterment—the app truly is a part of guiding my life to a brighter future. After all, I am using Betterment to plan for retirement, so I could be using this app for the next 30-40 years!
Thanks, Betterment, for the update and for helping make my life easier and brighter ☀️
Lost their way
I’m supremely disappointed that I chose Betterment as my investing platform. I chose Betterment because it seemed they were true to their core mission of helping regular people make smart and risk conscious decisions about their finances and preparing responsibly for their retirement. The tortoise method of winning the race. Their acquisition of Makara and partnership with Gemini are a defection of those core values that initially attracted me. There are plenty of existing places where people can speculate (gamble) with their own money. Betterment should have been better than that. It’s especially disappointing given their change to their fee scheme (which disproportionately impacts younger, smaller, earlier investors. This change adds insult to injury as Betterment is basically charging people more money to lose their money. To date I’ve seen a ~15% unrealized loss across my various buckets. While true that the loss is unrealized, the fees are not. I can lose money all on my own without Betterment’s help. Moreover, there’s no ‘advice’ to speak of, and I’m ineligible for their tax loss harvesting feature. Once the market recovers and I am at a place where I can liquidate my buckets without a 15% haircut, I’m out. Until then I’ll keep investing, but not a moment longer.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, thanks so much for the feedback. I'll pass this along to the appropriate teams for review. Please reach out to our support team at https://www.betterment.com/contact and we would be happy to further assist.
Betterment makes it easy to save for retirement or any other goal. The individual goals you can create are really nice to see how much you have saved towards each one instead of just having one large pot of money. The iOS app is super simple to use and makes depositing money or seeing performance easy.
I have not had an account long enough to really compare the returns to other investments. They recently added a much simpler view to see your annualized returns vs benchmarks on the website which should make comparisons easier moving forward.
With Betterment you are using their robo advisor so don’t expect to pick your own funds. I believe that Betterment leans a little heavier on foreign fund than other similar robo advisors. But that doesn’t really matter as you set your stock/bond percentage that matches your desired risk level and Betterment does the rest.
Betterment posts many helpful/interesting articles, but do take everything with a little grain of salt as many things are geared towards why they are right or how you can’t compare directly to other benchmarks.
All in all I have loved this investing/savings tool. I have seen good returns and low fees. The app and web interface are clean and easy to use. Recommend for anyone looking to start investing/saving. If you are a more hands on investor, Betterment might not be for you, and you might want to look else where.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 162.5 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Betterment LLC