SkySafari is a powerful planetarium that fits in your pocket, puts the universe at your fingertips, and is incredibly easy to use!
Simply hold your device to the sky and quickly locate planets, constellations, satellites, and millions of stars and deep sky objects. Use Augmented Reality (AR) mode to blend a simulated sky chart with a real view of your surroundings.
Packed with interactive information and rich graphics, discover why SkySafari 6 is your perfect stargazing companion under the night sky.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 13 and iPhone 11. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 will (optionally) back up all your settings files and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
4) Redesigned toolbar with ability to hide
5) Configurable font sizes
6) Better control of magnitude limits
7) Improved databases
8) Better updating of Comets and Asteroids (more recent data)
9) Better Moon display when zoomed out
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or in the future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events with SkySafari’s Time Flow.
• Locate the Sun, Moon, or Mars from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn about the history, mythology, and science of the heavens! Browse from hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images in SkySafari. Explore tons of NASA Space Missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
• 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through the solar system. Requires in-app purchase.
• Night Vision – Preserves your eyesight after dark.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
• Much more!
Cosmos Collection: In-app purchase allows you to travel to other planets and stars, visualize the 3-D location of deepsky objects in our galaxy, and listen to hours of audio guided tours of the heavens. The Cosmos Collection includes:
Lift off from the Earth and travel to the planets, moons and stars.
Guided Audio Tours
Listen to more than four hours of audio narration to learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens.
Visualize the 3-D location of stars and deep sky objects in our Galaxy the Milky Way.
“Yoor-a- nus”, not “Your-anus”? The pronunciation guide in SkySafari will help you learn how to correctly pronounce the names of hundreds of celestial objects from different categories such as stars, constellations and planets.
For even more features, and telescope control check out SkySafari 6 Plus and SkySafari 6 Pro!
Ratings and Reviews
This APP is truly amazing. At 67 years old I have never really looked up until the pandemic has given me time to do so. I luckily just stumbled across this APP and instantly was amazed at how much is out there, how much I’ve missed all my life and how wonderful the cosmos is. I’ve found the APP simple to use. I live in town with too many city lights so I’ve focused only on stars and planets visible to the eye, the 20 brightest and found the basic information to be fascinating. The he APP tells the details such as size, distance, makeup, life span and how the object has been viewed in human history. The only flaw I experience each day is the compass. Very frequently I find the APP to be many degrees, sometimes even 180 off. Makes identifying objects difficult. I don’t know if that is due to my iPhones internal compass being off or if the APP has its own compass, but it does require recalibrating the compass by spinning it around in circles or sometimes shutting the phone down. It would be nice to know how to eliminate this issue. But, for the money, are you kidding, this APP is so amazing it’s truly incredible. Thank you to the developer!
Too much unclear
Looks like a good app, and I was trying to decide whether to upgrade to Plus while the discount was available (or possibly even Pro)—but there are Help files that are unclear, graphic glitches with the Apollo addition, and the voice control (though I understand it’s in “progress”) doesn’t work even with the example commands listed.
It’s less than clear what new features are available in the upgrade version, other than the free Apollo add-in—which I already purchased. So I don’t have enough reason (at least not enough clear reason) to upgrade, especially when I’m having trouble with features already available.
I’ll definitely keep the app on my phone and use it. Perhaps it’s just me; but, regardless, if I’m already having trouble, there’s little point inviting more. All the basic features seem to work fine, and I’d still recommend the basic app for others—perhaps those who might have better luck (or even sufficient skill) to use it more effectively.
Hi!!! I’m a kid (nine years of age) but I LOVE zodiacs and constellations! I’m a prodigy, (and I know I am because I can name the zodiacs frontwards and backwards) But sky safari helps me identify what constellations are in the night. I can see Virgo (my zodiac) Cancer Scorpio Taurus Gemini Capricorn Aquarius Pisces Leo and so much more!!! I rely on sky safari but there’s one little problem that needs to be fixed. So basically I turned on all the labels and it was a little bit laggy but when I went to turn it back off, it wouldn’t turn back off because the button just disappeared. Please fix this!!! I love sky safari but I can’t use it with all these labels!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 527.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2021 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Cosmos Collection $3.99
- Apollo Lunar Missions $2.99
- Orbit Mode $3.99