Mast is a beautiful Mastodon app built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It’s as feature-packed as it is gorgeous. The stunning timelines make reading the latest content a joy.
Mast is also fully optimised for iOS 13 with dark mode and context menu support. It also has Today Extensions, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, a Watch app, Siri Shortcuts, and an iPad app. I hope you enjoy using Mast.
“What is Mastodon?”, you may ask. It’s a federated and decentralised social network. Think of it as email, where you can choose your provider, yet talk with almost anyone from anywhere regardless of their choices. The instances on Mastodon give users freedom to find their community, whilst allowing everyone to talk with each other with the level of visibility that they want. The content warning feature makes it safer, and the increased character count makes it far more expressible. It’s what microblogging should have always been.
(Requires a Mastodon account)
I'm constantly evolving and crafting Mast to create the perfect Mastodon app for you. If you have any suggestions or feedback, I'd love to hear it!
Completely redesigned the app from the ground up, with a fresh new look and impressive speed enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
This is the most beautiful Mastodon mobile experience!
This app is both extremely beautiful and very customizable. It's a joy to use! Definitely worth the extra cost to customize the theme of the app this much.
The developer is also extremely responsive to feedback, and pays close attention to every suggestion or bug report. With 2.0, this app has gotten even more amazing!
Gorgeous and loaded with features
This is hands down the most gorgeous Mastodon app on iOS. It can be a little daunting to see so many settings to fiddle around with but it’s a good thing that you can fine tune it however you want it. Browsing other instance timelines can be a bit overwhelming on desktop but Mast shows it in a chronological order and saves that instance if you want to peruse it at a later time. All the goodness of an instance without any commitment. I particularly like the long press shortcut. I have it configured for composing new toots but you can practically have share sheet, lists, new toot, search, cycle through themes or just do nothing. There’s a thumb scroller if you prefer to use your phone with one hand. It’s these little things that make this app a joy to use.
One annoying issue I recently had to face was that in the latest version 1.7.6 it would crash on Notifications tab. I had to nuke out the notifications and cache from settings to make it work again. A personal pet peeve of mine is that the toots are a tad too sensitive to touch. More often than not I happen to swipe the toot left or right when I intend to scroll up or down. Regardless of these, Mast makes tooting fun.
PS: Look out for the options under the breadcrumb next to your profile in the app. Scroll down to Entertainment. Be entertained!
Very promising, pleasant to use, minor snags yet
I've been using Mast for a few days so far, and it's been quite great! The interface feels well thought out and behaves as I'd expect it to. It supports the Mastodon features you need (message privacy, CW's, sensitivity and textual descriptions for pictures), and feels pleasant and fast.
Some toothing problems in this revision, but I expect they'll get fixed soon!
* the "activity" view crashes very often
* you can use the app one handed! Great when waiting in line: double-tap images to zoom, throw them away to dismiss; unfortunately, dismissing animated GIFs requires stretching your thumb all the way to the X in the far left corner (Mast does picture in picture, which seems neat but I don't use it)
* It still loses scroll state on occasion (but is pretty good at retaining the position usually!)
* content-warning posts, once revealed, can't be closed again; the only way I found to do that has been to scroll away, which restores the warning (weirdly: I've seen background refreshes restore the content warning without any interaction from me)
Overall, I think this app is more than worth the price! Once the crasher bugs are fixed, I'd absolutely recommend using it for anyone's Mastodon needs!
- Shihab Mehboob
- 30.1 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 13.0 and watchOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, German, Hindi, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2019 Shihab Mehboob.
- In-App Purchases
- Lifetime Subscription $28.99
- Monthly Subscription $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.