Live Link Face for effortless facial animation in Unreal Engine — Capture performances for MetaHuman Animator to achieve the highest fidelity results or stream facial animation in real time from your iPhone or iPad for live performances.
Capture facial performances for MetaHuman Animator:
- MetaHuman Animator uses Live Link Face to capture performances on iPhone then applies its own processing to create high-fidelity facial animation for MetaHumans.
- The Live Link Face iOS app captures raw video and depth data, which is ingested directly from your device into Unreal Engine for use with the MetaHuman plugin.
- Facial animation created with MetaHuman Animator can be applied to any MetaHuman character, in just a few clicks.
- This workflow requires an iPhone (12 or above) and a desktop PC running Windows 10/11, as well as the MetaHuman Plugin for Unreal Engine.
Real time animation for live performances:
- Stream out ARKit animation data live to an Unreal Engine instance via Live Link over a network.
- Visualize facial expressions in real time with live rendering in Unreal Engine.
- Drive a 3D preview mesh, optionally overlaid over the video reference on the phone.
- Record the raw ARKit animation data and front-facing video reference footage.
- Tune the capture data to the individual performer and improve facial animation quality with rest pose calibration.
Timecode support for multi-device synchronization:
- Select from the iPhone system clock, an NTP server, or use a Tentacle Sync to connect with a master clock on stage.
- Video reference is frame accurate with embedded timecode for editorial.
Control Live Link Face remotely with OSC or via the MetaHuman Plugin for Unreal Engine:
- Trigger recording externally so actors can focus on their performances.
- Capture slate names and take numbers consistently.
- Extract data for processing and storage.
Browse and manage the captured library of takes:
- Delete takes within Live Link Face, share via AirDrop.
- Transfer directly over network when using MetaHuman Animator.
- Play back the captured video on the phone.
- Fixes incorrect header column names in recorded CSV files when using the Live Link (ARKit) capture mode
- Fixes incorrect OSC response when making a thermal state query
Ratings and Reviews
Incredibly useful app for animation! Just one thing I think needs to be in the next update. A way to set facial readings to neutral while my face is in the neutral resting position. Live link thinks my mouth is slightly open when it is in fact completely closed. The work around is not terribly grueling so it’s not a show stopper. Besides that, this app is an absolute must for both new and experienced character animators!
Overall great app
One minor issue: if you record at 30 fps the resulting CSV file will have gaps on the data. By this I mean there are 16 frames with key frame data, followed by 16 more frames with no key frames at all, followed by another 16 with data. This pattern repeats for the entire recording. If you record at 60 fps, this bug does not occur. Just an FYI!
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thanks for your bug report. We are aware of this issue and are working towards a fix.
Head rotation doesn’t work
Stream head rotation feature no longer works in the latest version, HeadYaw, HeadPitch, HeadRoll. It worked just fine in the previous one. Please, fix it.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Epic Games International, S.a.r.l.
- 12 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
English, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Epic Games, Inc.