Approved and used by Mike Mangini (Dream Theater, Drummer of the Year*), Tempo Advance is the metronome app to bring your musicianship to the next level. Now our exclusive consultant, Mike has been using Tempo Advance since its inception four years ago as a practice tool and an invaluable companion for his Rhythm Knowledge drumming system.
The new Polyrhythm Mode enables concurrent playback of two meters with different beats per measure, synced on the bar. Find out what any combination of up to 20 beats per measure sounds like.
Retaining the hyper-accurate audio engine from our bestselling Tempo, the UI on Tempo Advance has been rethought to focus on the metronome visual cues.
Auto setlist advancement, accelerando, ritardando and playback tracking makes it possible for you to program count-ins or complex songs with varying tempo, time signatures and rhythms.
Visit tempoadvance.com for demo videos.
*As voted in the 2013 Drummies! Awards held by DRUM! Magazine
• In Subdivide Mode, up to 20 beats per measure and 20 subdivisions per beat
• In Polyrhythm Mode, up to 20 beats per measure on either channel
• Adjust with gestures with delightful animations or select directly
• Configure every beat and subdivision to one of 4 states: Accent 1, Accent 2, Regular, Silent
• Choose from 15 sound sets, including Voice Count and one tuned for live drumming
• Assign any sound and vibration state (iPhone only) to each of the tick states
• Set individual volumes for each of the tick states
• Separate settings for 2nd channel in Polyrhythm Mode
• Ranges from 10 to 800 BPM
• Four ways to edit tempo: gestures, tap tempo, adjustment buttons and direct input
• Beat interval and frequency display
Tracker and Automator
• Keep track of number of measures played or time passed
• Option to stop metronome and/or reset Tracker automatically when limit reached
• Automatic adjustment of tempo by X BPM every X bars or X amount of time
• Store time signatures and rhythm patterns in unlimited preset buttons
• Drag presets to reorder them or select them for deletion
• Store tempo, meter, rhythm pattern, sound, Tracker and Automator settings in songs organized into setlists
• Full editing of saved songs
• Advanced management including search, multi-row deletion and duplication of songs to same or other setlist
• Turn on auto setlist advance for hands free operation, or program complex songs
• Loop setlist
• Share and import individual setlists via email
• Backup setlist data via iTunes File Sharing
• Mute switch
• Playback over audio from other apps, when screen is locked and when app is in background
• Separate volume control for metronome
• Pan anywhere from extreme left to extreme right
• Select from 5 default themes, or create your own
• Switch between flat and skeuomorphic styles
• Intuitive Theme Editor shows your changes in realtime
• Texturize the center panel with a variety of 25 patterns
• Share and import themes via email
• Resizeable Presets/Setlist panel
• Take control with Bluetooth foot pedals and the iPhone’s proximity sensor
• Built-in Tutorial section
• Option to flash display on first or every beat
• Reference tones for all 12 chromatic notes, calibrate from A = 414 to 466 Hz
• Tempo Advance now runs natively on iOS 13
• Fixed setlist and theme files import option missing from Mail app on iOS 13
• Fixed engine stall on returning to Tempo while earphones are in use, on older devices running iOS 13
• Other minor bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
You'll not need any other!
I teach drums as well as session work and this does everything I need it to. The timers are awesome! I especially like how it is not tied to notation but instead beats per bar and subdivisions. Which means learning a groove in 5/16 the trying to hear it as 10/8 is very easy to configure. Or highlighting clave or other ostinatos to practice over.
The other apps are limited to just the meter and subdivisions they have preprogrammed.
Just get it. $3 vs $130 I spent on my Dr. Beat 15 years ago is just a better buy especially since it outperforms everything out there.
I first bought the Tempo app which I am able to work just fine. The idea of polyrhythms and more complex timing structure was intriguing to me, so I bought Tempo Advance. Sadly, I wasn't able to understand how complex tempos were structured in a "song" or how multiple tempos were supposed to fit into the song without consuming a huge amount of space. I went over the videos and in app tutorails a dozen times if once. Since I read and use technical manuals on everything from automotive ABS braking systems to ship board systems on aircraft carriers, I expect an extensive amount of detail, but that's just me. I reached out to the company twice by email for help, but never received a reply either time. I suppose if the company is not interested, neither am I. From reviews I see most are able to use the app fine, but to what capacity I have no idea. I'm going to return this app and keep the Tempo app but I am a bit disappointed. What all of this tells me is that the "developer" and the person who "wrote" the app are not one in the same...
A couple issues but AMAZING
I use this for guitar exercises and it’s absolutely amazing. It’s also awesome for writing music. I feel though as the iOS for Apple has updated I’ve noticed a few hiccups. I use the increase in tempo a lot and it seems that when it’s increasing automatically when it gets to the 3 digit numbers (100+ obviously) only the first 2 digits of the number show up...so say when I go from 95bmp then it bounces up to 100 it only displays 10. And say 115 looks like 11. Not a huge deal and I’ll work around it but I wasn’t sure if you had heard of this and were trying to fix it! Just letting you know! The other issue has seemed to resolve itself with a new phone purchase but the tap tempo action was causing the app to crash, but it seems fine now!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Frozen Ape Pte. Ltd.
- 51 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2012 Frozen Ape Pte. Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.