A minimalist word processor with powerful tools, giving you greater control of your writing process.
• Dynamic View. Think freely without being constrained by the traditional columns of text–though the text here is connected to the text in your Word Processing View.
• Quick Citation Creation & Check. Select text and cmd-T to add citations including automatic meta-information from books, web, YouTube videos, BibTeX copied information as well as manually add any further material.
• Instant Outline. Pinch to collapse the text using your trackpad to see just the headings. Pinch further in or out to see more or less headings.
• Cuttings. Everything you Cut (but not Copied) is remembered by Author. CMD-shift-v to see what you have Cut and choose what to paste.
• Supports images with complete citation information and internal links to them.
• Read/Edit Modes for specific interactions to make both modes more powerful and pleasant, such as spacebar to move down a screen in Read mode or select text and spacebar to have the text spoken.
• Warm background to reduce eye strain for Edit mode. Note that in full screen mode your eyes will quite quickly adjust to the cast so you will enjoy the benefit without really noticing anything different. native Mojave Dark Mode supported.
• If you only want to see sentences with a specific keyword, select the keyword cmd-f to hide all the sentences which do not have the keyword will be hidden. Click on a sentence to jump to it, cmd-f again or ESC to return to the regular view. cmd-G to do it aGain.
• All commands have easy to remember keyboard shortcuts and you can ctrl-click on text to check what options are available, such as cmd-1,2,3,4,5 to turn the text into headings.
• Only The Controls You Need, No Distractions. cmd- / cmd+ to scale all the text, you cannot change the size, colour or font of specific text in Author, only make it bold and italic, since Author is a writing application, not a layout application so therefore gives you less things to unproductively fiddle with.
• Modern Architecture makes Author fast and gives you auto saving and everything else you would expect from a modern, native macOS application including iCloud Drive (sync with Author iOS in the future).
• ESC to go into and out of full screen, which seems like a detail but is very helpful when going between focused writing and interacting with many documents.
— Export Options —
• Export to PDF, Plain Text, RTF, & Word.
- Option of automatic addition of a cover page, appending of citations in a References section at the end of the document and choose the formatting of the citations in the document; (in brackets) or with superscript.
- For PDF, current exports only support typed-out links (fx; www.apple.com).
- Supports Visual-Meta, alongside Liquid | Reader for one-click citing.
• Publish to WordPress, supporting multiple accounts and image attachments but currently only typed-out links, same as for export to PDF.
— A Liquid Product —
• Integrated with the Liquid | Reader PDF reader to provide instant citations through simply copying and pasting text using the Visual-Meta method as described at www.liquid.info/visual-meta.html
• Integrated with Liquid | Flow to provide hundreds of commands in less than one second on any selected text.
— Support —
Please feel free to contact me with questions, suggestions and of course, bug reports at firstname.lastname@example.org or https://twitter.com/liquidizer
Thank you for looking at Liquid | Author!
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Sweet word processor
Who needs another word processor. But this one has some nice features that save some time. For example, if you want to see al the places in your document you discuss a certain thing , you can highlight some text, and hit command f to see each sentence that has that text in your document. You can also quickly see the outline of your document from the headings you have used by squeeze-pinching the track pad. So it has some litle shortcuts that save time. It has more advanced features too, like built-in fucntion to insert book reference from a search window where you can search by title/author of the book. For my work, the content has to eventually end up in Word to share with collegues or format for publication. Copy-paste is free, but there is also an upgrade to this app to save in Word format (and several other formats). I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it can easily save to a WordPress blog. So bottom line, this has some really cool features, but doesn’t yet replace Word for my work documents.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much. I hope you will find the export function useful. It is something we will continue to improve, including an update coming very soon, which will handle academic citations even better.
Truly powerful new approach to text
Author is a truly new concept in writing. Following the lead of pioneers like Doug Engelbart and Ted Nelson (if you don’t know who these people are, you need to do some research!) this is a powerful tool that requires some learning. Do watch the videos to understand the concepts that are implemented in Author. You will soon learn to leverage these features and concepts and will wonder how you lived without them!
Designing a tool like Author is a delicate balance—how to implement the features with a holistic and clean approach such that the software doesn’t get in your way. Compare with large and complex systems like Word and you will find Author a breath of fresh air!
I’ve been working in software and user experience for over 40 years and an application like this does not come along often. I also don’t write many reviews—most software isn’t worth reviewing. Try it, spend some time, and you will be rewarded :-)
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much indeed eastern sierra! You are completely right that this work is inspired by Doug (the name Author is an homage to his Augment system) and Ted's work has inspired the non-linearity we are working on. This is only the beginning... :-)
The importance of the written word
I write. I write critical papers, essays, poems, short stories, and on occasion I have been known to jot down a grocery list and send my mother a birthday card. The written word is so common that what you are reading is actually an example.
Amalgamating current software technologies and tools, Liquid|Author brings to the user a complex system designed to enhance the simplicity of the common written word, whether writing an Academic Thesis, or writing to your mother asking her for money.
The beauty and usefulness of this deceptively simple software is in the flow. I’ve never experienced anything like this. And, by golly, the price seems a joke; I’ve bought other written software which kept me searching for something else which felt whole and complete.
I don’t know you, and I think you’ll enjoy, as have I, Liquid|Author. And I recommend it as I would encourage you to enjoy Van Gough’s Starry Night. Liquid|Author is a work of art.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much, much appreciated.
- The Liquid Information Company Limited
- 6.9 MB
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Frode Hegland
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.