Metatext is a free, modern, open source, and accessible Mastodon client.
- Multiple accounts: You can add multiple accounts and even use several accounts simultaneously with iPad multitasking.
- Emoji: Metatext has a searchable custom emoji picker and supports animated custom emoji.
- Timeline management: Metatext remembers your home timeline position and can load gaps in either direction
- Mastodon features: Metatext supports most Mastodon features including lists, profile directory, and syncing filters
- Accessibility: Metatext supports VoiceOver, Dynamic Type, dark mode, and motion reduction.
- Private: No tracking or any information shared with third parties.
What is Mastodon? It's the social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization. Check out joinmastodon.org for more info.
Follow @firstname.lastname@example.org for updates!
- View your instance's announcements and react with emoji
- Malow app icon
- Search resolves URLs
- Fixes for instances using Mastodon v3.4.0rc1
- Fixes for pasting images copied from the share menu
Ratings and Reviews
A pleasure to use
I’ve been using Metatext for a while and what I really like about it is I have no complaints. Clean and logical design that always works whether I’m posting a two word text update or a super long post with images and video and links to other Mastodon users. Conversations are threaded in a way that’s super easy to understand. And it’s just nice to have such a beautiful user experience that’s private and secure. Love it and I’m curious to see how things develop with each update because each time it just seems to be getting better and better.
Clean, very accessible
I have used Metatext for the last month in beta prior to the release. It has quickly become my favorite client for Mastodon/the fediverse.
It puts a strong focus on usability and accessibility - no unnecessary animations, everything looks very normal (with usefully arranged controls wherever possible), image descriptions are easy to write and read, and it doesn’t lose your scroll state. A supremely useful app that gets out of the way & lets you interact with the sweetest folks on quirky social networks, your way.
Great overall but…
It’s the best looking mastodon app I’ve used so far, but it still bothers me with some minor issues, first was it seems couldn’t remember the view location of the last time when it’s being closed, so when I open it after a while and will just load the latest toots, not ideal. And then when it does open at the last time it’s being closed, it would only get so few toots that I need to tab “load more” every 10 toots or so, quite annoying. Would love to see some fix on those, cuz it really works pretty great otherwise.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Metabolist, LLC
- 30.1 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, German, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2021 Metabolist
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.