At Google Nest, we make products that are beautiful, helpful and easy to use. The Nest app is no exception.
Control your Google Nest thermostat, arm and disarm your Google Nest Secure alarm system, see your home with Google Nest Cam, and get an alert if Google Nest Protect goes off – all in one place. And receive notifications on your iPhone or iPad.
Nest uses sensors, algorithms and the location of your phone to do the right thing automatically, turning off the heat and turning on the camera when you leave. Forget to set the alarm? It will notice, and send you a Remind Me alert.
Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E
Thermostats that program themselves to help you save energy.
- Change the temperature from the subway or the sofa using your phone.
- See how much energy you used, and why.
- View and edit your schedule.
- Get extreme temperature alerts before your home gets too cold.
Nest Secure alarm system
- Arm and disarm your home remotely from the app.
- Receive a Remind Me alert if you leave home and forget to set the alarm.
- Receive a security alert on your phone telling you what triggered the alarm – a door or window opening, or someone entering a room.
The smoke and carbon monoxide alarm that thinks, speaks, and alerts your phone.
- Get an alert if Nest Protect senses smoke or carbon monoxide. (Requires Wi-Fi and a working internet connection.)
- Silence an alarm from your phone with App Silence. (Nest Protect 2nd gen only.)
- See the status of your batteries, sensors, and Wi-Fi connection.
- Run a Safety Checkup to test all your alarms at once. (Nest Protect 2nd gen only.)
- See your Safety History so you know when alerts happened and why.
Nest Cam IQ Indoor and Outdoor, Nest Cam Indoor, Nest Cam Outdoor, and Dropcam
The security cameras that let you see your home on your phone, inside and out.
- Get alerts when there’s activity, and talk back to get someone’s attention.
- See what you missed with snapshots of the last three hours.
- Check in 24/7 with crisp 1080p HD video (Nest Cam and Dropcam Pro only).
- Get person alerts (or familiar face alerts with Nest Cam IQ) and up to 30 days of video history when you subscribe to Google Nest Aware. (Subscription service sold separately.)
Know who’s knocking.
- 24/7 video streaming means you’ll never miss a moment.
- Designed to show you everything at your doorstep – people head to toe, or packages on the ground.
- Knows the difference between a person and a thing.
- Notifies you about visitors, even if they don’t ring the bell.
- HD Talk and Listen lets you have a seamless conversation with someone at your door.
- When you can’t answer the door, quick responses let you reply to visitors with prerecorded audio messages.
Nest x Yale Lock
The lock for a more secure connected home.
- Instead of sharing keys, assign passcodes to people you trust in the Nest app.
- Get an alert when someone locks or unlocks the door.
- With Home/Away Assist and Auto-Lock, your door can lock itself when you leave.
Some features require a working internet connection, Wi-Fi, and/or Bluetooth.
Bug fixes and enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Need to be able to customize notifications
One of the biggest shortcomings with this app is the inability to customize notifications. I switched from the Ring doorbell to the Nest, and while I like the video quality better, you need to be able to distinguish the difference between a text message on your phone and someone ringing your doorbell. There is also a significant delay with doorbell alerts that seems to be a common theme if you look in the nest community. I’m invested heavily into the nest ecosystem, but the things I mentioned in the app, and the inability to expand your alarm siren to other nest devices or offer an outdoor speaker are my biggest qualms right now. Nest should be able to fix the notifications issue fairly easily, yet people in the community have been complaining for over a year. Not sure if it will change so right now I am recommending to people to stay with Ring.
Ummmmm not a fan at the moment, it needs work
First off we have owned and loved nest products for awhile now, they are nice and have okay reliability and now it has gone downhill recently. I have contacted support quite a few times and for owing 2 nest 3.0 thermostats and 3 Dropcam Pro’s their customer support is okay. There isn’t any native chat for help in the app which is kind of frustrating. This app was designed mainly for the nest thermostat and cameras and whenever they launch a new product or additional service like “nest aware” it seems to be modge podge’d into the app without any real development. We tried the nest security system as well as the doorbell and they just don’t work well with the ecosystem, especially if you have an Apple device or heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem mainly because there is no Apple HomeKit support or widget support for a glance at the home. I would love for the nest developers to work on making a nest widget so I could glance at my home’s temperature when need too or check the cameras instead of waiting for my app to load every time. Also there is no way to see the camera status on the Apple Watch. I would totally see the Apple Watch app as a useful tool if there was a way to glance into my home cameras from my wrist instead of only being able to see the temperature and that be all. I wish they could update the app soon with these features! It could be an amazing platform!
Been using my Nest for years. I am mostly happy with the performance of it. However I noticed the Watch App doesn’t work anymore and there *still* isn’t any support for Homekit. I have Eve (Homekit) temperature sensors all around the house and was hoping to get both systems to play in the sandbox nicely.
*** UPDATE*** When was the ECO temperature limits fiddled with? I remember I could keep the Home/Away temperatures closer to what is comfortable and the system worked fine when I would be away from home. However this season I noticed that the ECO temperature is reset to 76° this is WAY TOO FREAKING HOT. IF it is 76° where the Nest is then it’s 81° upstairs!!
Also, the choice between Hourly or a 1-Shot fan schedule is primitive. I feel like with all the changes Nest has made I’m real close to removing it and looking elsewhere for something I have more control over.
- Nest Labs, Inc
- 400.1 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-18 Nest Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.