Send messages, not metadata. No ads or trackers — only private messaging.
Session is a new breed of private messenger, built on a unique network of user-operated servers spread all over the world. With no central servers, Session can’t leak or sell your data. And with Session’s private routing protocols, your messages are completely anonymous. No one ever knows who you’re talking to, what you’re saying, or even your IP address.
• Fully anonymous account creation: No phone number or email needed to create a Session ID
• Decentralised server network: No data breaches, no central point of failure
• No metadata logging: Session doesn't store, track, or log your messaging metadata
• IP address protection: Device IP addresses are never exposed to the person you're talking to or the servers holding your data
• Closed groups: Private, end-to-end encrypted group chats for up to 100 people
• Secure attachments: Share voice snippets, photos, and files with Session's secure encryption and privacy protections
• Free and open-source: Don’t take our word for it — check Session's code yourself
Session is free as in free speech, free as in free beer, and free of ads and trackers. Session is built and maintained by the OPTF, Australia’s first privacy tech not-for-profit organisation. Take back your online privacy today — download Session.
Want to build from source, report a bug, or just take a look at our code? Check out Session on GitHub: https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios
• Fixed an issue where a conversation can only load at most 250 messages.
• Fixed an issue where some contacts and groups may be failed to be restored.
• Fixed an issue where disappearing messages may not work for outgoing messages.
• Fixed untranslated context.
• Now link preview can support more urls.
• Now conversations of which the latest message is outgoing won't be shown as unread on linked devices.
• Now Sinhala is available on Session.
• Now there is a Feedback / Survey entrance in Settings screen.
Ratings and Reviews
Would be better with iPad supported
Love the app with complete encryption and trustworthy privacy. It’s the right IM app I have been looking for. But not optimized for iPad have brought a little inconvenience: the app currently could not take full advantage of iPad’s large canvas and multi-touch display. Users can link iPad as a new device, but as the app haven’t been optimized, the UX of using the app on iPads does need a lot of improvements. I understand that there are a lot of work to to, lot of features on the way, but I do hope that you can put iPad support in your schedule. Thank you very much for the great app!
Excellent messaging app
I have had this app since the day it was released and have been very pleased, and impressed, with its performance. I ran into some minor issues with push notifications being delayed on the earliest versions, but these were quickly remedied with new updates.
This isn’t the most feature-rich messenger out there and the Session IDs may not be for everyone, but if you’re looking for a well-performing app that subverts the big tech companies harvesting your data, you won’t find better. I fully expect that with time it will only get better.
I’ve been a believer in the Loki project since it got started and am really impressed with this product running on the network. As others have said, this is surely the future of secure communication.
Knowing the vulnerabilities of conventional messengers, I’m very happy to see session come from Loki. I’ve been on boarding friends, it’s pretty easy to set up, and very intuitive to use thereafter. Great to see that privacy doesn’t have to be insanely complicated! Thanks for all the hard work!
Update: I’ve been having trouble getting notifications to work. Messages won’t appear until I open the app. Not sure if this is a bug, or stupidity on my part. Turned on notifications in settings for phone, and in app.
Update on update: issue seems resolved, and very well explained as to why push notifications weren’t used. The option to use them is now available. Really amazing work to session, and Loki. Keep it up!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback — glad to hear you're finding Session easy and intuitive, that's exactly what we're aiming for. There are some known issues with push notifications on iOS, but we believe we've identified the problem, and we're hoping to have a fix out soon.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Rangeproof PTY LTD
- 58.9 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 Loki Foundation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.