The ATO app puts tax and super help in your hand, making it easier for you to conduct your tax and super affairs on the go.
The app has many features. You can:
- record and manage expenses and trips relating to your work as an employee, your business as a sole trader or other general expenses. Sole traders can also record income.
- upload your myDeductions records to your tax return at tax time or email a copy to your tax agent
- enrol your voiceprint with the ATO. You can then use this to verify your identity when you call us or to log in to our online services for individuals via the app
- calculate the amount of tax to withhold from salary and wage payments
- search for an Australian business number (ABN) using ABN Lookup
- work out key dates and set important reminders and alerts for tax and super obligations
- use the Business performance check tool to compare your business with similar businesses in your industry using the latest Small business benchmarks
- access a number of other useful tools and calculators.
* GPS can be used to record trips in myDeductions. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Some features in the app will request access to functions on your device, including your location, microphone or calendar. For example, to record a trip in myDeductions using the GPS option, the app needs access to your device location.
You can choose to allow the ATO app to store usage data for the purpose of improving the app. None of the collected data identifies you and you can change your settings at any time.
If you have any questions or feedback about the ATO app, email us at email@example.com. We cannot discuss your personal tax affairs.
- Updates to Tax withheld calculator and tax rates for the 2020-21 financial year.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A good start
It’s a great idea and I like being able to use photos to store my receipts. It would be good to be able to upload a file other than photos as not all receipts can fit on a screen for screen capture. Also I was using the feature to upload photos already taken and then the next second it just said it was empty!
Unfortunately I used it for last year’s motor vehicle expenses but the log book function is unusable if you share a vehicle or don’t want to record all your personal kms. You’re expected to remember the start kms and record the entry at the end of the trip! Therefore I reverted back to paper recording for the log book and when it came time to lodge my return it wouldn’t upload the motor vehicle expenses!
Developer Response ,
Hi, we are currently looking at other file saving options as part of our continuous improvements to the product. With regard to the logbook you can just enter your work kilometers (i.e. 100-150, second trip 300-400). Upon upload myDeductions will work out the business klms for you. Regarding a loss of records, check the financial year at the top of the screen as this updates on 1 July each year to the new financial year (2018-19) you can scroll back to the previous year to see your data. If you are still having issues, please email us at INDDigitalProjectsTeam@ato.gov.au?
Problems with the app
So when I started using the app I thought it was pretty useful but have come across a few problems that are starting to bug me. Firstly when I want to back up my records to the iCloud it says that it’s been backed up but when I check my iCloud files it’s not there. However when I back up to notes first then from notes to my iCloud files it works. What gives ? Also started and finished a log book with my old car but now that iv bought a new car and have started a new logbook every time I want to add an expense it only allows me to do it on the old car in the “select vehicle” option even though iv added my new car to vehicle settings and have started a new logbook. No help can be found for the ato app online. Quite frustrating considering it’s an app provided by the government to make paying taxes more fluent. The app still feels wonky. God knows the ato won’t be much help at tax time regarding lost information
Developer Response ,
Hi, thanks for your feedback. Your backup files won't be visible in iCloud directly, but you should be able to access them directly from the back up screen in the myDeductions tool. In regards to adding car expenses, if your new vehicle falls under another category (e.g. it has a carrying capacity over 1 tonne or is owned by someone else) it may need to be recorded under a different expense type. See ato.gov.au/carexpenses for more information. If you’re still experiencing issues or have any further questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Great app! Simple UI. This app is great and saves me having to save and track everything in spreadsheets through out year!
I just a couple of ideas for improvements to the app.
On iPad specifically, please allow the app to work in landscape orientation, and allow it to have split screen wth other apps.
On all iOS devices, please allow it to sync with iCloud automatically! Having to make sure I press backup is pretty weak considering what year we live in.
- Australian Taxation Office
- 129.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © ATO for the Commonwealth of Australia. You are free to use this material in any way you wish (provided you don’t suggest the ATO or the Commonwealth endorses you or your services or products).
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.