Swift Playgrounds 4+
Learn real coding the fun way
Swift Playgrounds makes it fun to learn to code and build real apps. You solve interactive puzzles in the guided “Get Started with Code” and learn the basics of building apps in “Get Started with Apps.” You experiment with a wide range of challenges and samples that let you explore unique coding experiences.
Swift Playgrounds doesn’t require any coding experience — it’s perfect for anyone just starting out, from eight to one-hundred-and-eight. The whole time you are learning Swift and SwiftUI, the powerful programming technologies created by Apple and used by professionals around the globe to build many of today’s most popular apps. And because it’s built to take advantage of iPad and the real iOS SDK, Swift Playgrounds provides a one of a kind learning experience.
• Apple-created lessons guide you through the core concepts of programming by using code to solve puzzles
• See your code run in a beautiful, interactive 3D world that you can rotate with a finger and pinch to zoom
• Animations introduce each new coding concept at a high-level before you dive into the puzzles
• Glossary and built-in help pages give detailed information about available commands, frameworks, and terminology
Explore and Create
• Interactive coding shows the results of your code instantly, alongside your work
• Step through code in playground books to highlight each line as it runs
• Books provide a head start to create your own playgrounds that use graphics, sound, and touch
• App Gallery walks you through the building blocks of apps, like tabbed navigation and receiving input from device sensors
Build Apps on iPad
• Create real apps on iPad using SwiftUI
• See your code changes reflected live while you type
• Type quickly and accurately with inline code suggestions
• Extend your app with an ecosystem of Swift packages
• Navigate your code with project-wide search
Smart Coding Assistance
• Touch and hold to grab any command and move it around to change the order of your code
• Drag a brace with your finger to wrap a block of code inside a loop or conditional statement
• Drag and drop snippets of commonly-used code directly into your playground
• Fix common code errors with helpful inline suggestions
• Stay organized with automatic code formatting
Real Swift, SwiftUI, and iOS Code
• Learn the same powerful Swift programming language used by the pros to create apps in the App Store
• Build dynamic, elegant apps using SwiftUI, a modern way to create user interfaces
• Access iOS frameworks such as SpriteKit for 2D games, SceneKit for 3D graphics, UIKit, and more
• Your code has direct control of iPad hardware, including the gyroscope, accelerometer, camera, and touch events
Share or Publish
• Send your projects to friends and family using Messages, Mail, AirDrop, or other Share Sheet extensions
• Bring your app projects to Xcode on Mac and back again
• Submit your completed apps to the App Store with App Store Connect
• This update addresses an issue where error messages remain after the code has been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Trouble with versions.
As you probably know, Swift’s an AMAZING way to learn coding, even with learning difficulties. It’s even recognised and used by my school for their technology and coding classes.
However, a fair few of the programs are stuck on Version 5.3, as opposed to the later versions. Can you *please* remedy this (and no, I cannot just “update to the latest version”, this review wouldn’t exist otherwise) and port them to the latest versions?
Perfect for those with slight learning difficulties.
I really love this app!
Already completed the first set of lessons and although was stuck a few times, I took a break then tried again a bit later and go it.
I do have some learning difficulties, and when I tried to learn coding at a TAFE course I wasn’t understanding it at all, and so dropped out. Now with this app, with how it illustrates things I have gained a much better and easier understanding of coding and how it works. So I definitely recommend this for anyone who has learning difficulties. It’s important though not to rush through it. Taking a break now & then really helps.
I only wish this app was also available for Macbook and iMac, as the app seems to drain the battery on my iPad a bit and I normally don’t plug it into a powerpoint while I’m using it. So if it was equally available to use on a Macbook and iMac, then that would be perfect.
Great app, But Does not work
This is a great app and I love using but sometimes it work like it is supposed. Sometimes my character glitches out all over the place. And the game keeps on playing music even through the app is closed. Sometimes the codes don’t even show up. And the map doesn’t show up sometimes. Honestly I think this a great app but this app gets 3 stars because it just sometimes it doesn’t work. I would give it a 5 star but it doesn’t work most of the time
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Pty Limited
- 789 MB
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2016 - 2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.