Save 50% with a 12-month subscription. Limited time offer.
Enjoy BBC History Magazine, the UK's best-selling history magazine, on your iPhone and iPad. Dive into the latest issue, download the entire back issue collection and save more with a subscription.
Each month we assemble leading experts to explore a wide range of British, American and international historical topics – from ancient civilisations to the two world wars. Our historians tackle the key events and personalities of the past, as well as shining a light on lesser-known areas and explaining how the latest research changes our understanding.
Our App makes it easy to read and enjoy each issue with helpful features like text adjust, allowing you to amend the font size for clear reading on any device size. You can also bookmark your favourite features to revisit, and browse our 10-year archive of content with the handy search tool.
Every issue also contains a comprehensive reviews section, inspiring ideas for heritage visits, breaking history news and the historical background behind current events.
* * * * *
Customers can buy single issues and subscriptions using In App Purchase
Subscriptions are available on monthly or annual terms.
• Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period
• You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, for the same duration and at the current subscription rate for that product
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. This does not affect your statutory rights
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
The subscription will include the current issue if you do not already own it and subsequently published future issues. Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
If you would like to get in touch with the team for more information or support please email email@example.com or alternatively you can visit our App support page https://immediate1.typeform.com/to/kc5nri
*Please note this digital edition does not include the covermount gifts or supplements you would find with printed copies*
Thanks for using the BBC History Magazine app! Here are the latest enhancements you’ll find in our update:
*Improved issue download speeds so you can easily enjoy your favourite content wherever you are
*General bug fixes
We’re constantly looking for ways to improve our app and make it more reliable for you. We’d love to hear your questions, suggestions or feedback. Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Problem with audio
I enjoy my History magazine but every time I click Listen to yeh Article on my I pad 5th generation it crashes out. The links to History Extra are fine.
Updated - Still useless
Yet another updated review. The content is fab so I’m focusing on the app.
It’s wiped out about six months of my subscription so the app is asking me to lay again for some issues. I’ve been in touch but no reply.
The audio option never EVER works. The sound bar moves. The clock/time moves. But does sound come out? No.
I hate this app. I mean really HATE it. I’ve been subscribing on and off for years but I don’t think I can ever subscribe again via the app. I like to have the sound as I can listen to the articles as I walk the dog. I’d also like to have all my issues back.
One other massive problem is that the app developer sends the buyer to iTunes for support if you purchase the subscription through iTunes. iTunes send you to the app developer. On and on it goes. Frustrated and ranty is how I’m feeling right now.
Ugh! Just don’t bother downloading this.
Developer Response ,
Hi Storming Water, please get in touch with us directly by emailing email@example.com so we candiscuss your comments firther and work towards any appropriate resolution.
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to say that an app update is coming soon that will be a complete overhaul. It will be more stable and reliable, and it should be faster. It will offer the ability to change text size and offer bookmarking and, it will be optimised so it will scale correctly to any screen width. We are expecting to have the new version out September 2018 and we are looking forward to releasing it.
When are you going to fix the crashing bug you introduced in the last update?
When I tap on Read to read an issue I had previously downloaded the app just quits. The only way to fix this is a complete re-download of the app. You can download an edition not previously downloaded and read that, but then you have the same problem with THAT edition the next time. This only just started happening, and it is very annoying!
Developer Response ,
We are very sorry that you are experiencing these crashes, we are looking into it and will try to get it resolved as quickly as possible.
In-App PurchasesSee All
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Immediate Media Company Limited
- 42.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Immediate Media Company Bristol Limited
- In-App Purchases
- 1-Month Subscription £5.99
- 12-Month Subscription £49.99
- BBC History Magazine Apple News £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.