Bear is a focused, flexible writing app used by everyone from bloggers and web developers to aspiring authors and students! It has quick organization, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
Bear is used by bloggers, book authors, lawyers, students, teachers, cooks, startups, travelers, families, and so many more!
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- One-tap formatting on iPhone and iPad with a custom shortcut bar
- **NEW** Create new notes with Siri and your wonderful voice
- Dictate and append to recent notes with your Apple Watch
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
*COLLECT AND CREATE* web pages and sketches
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
Some export features require a Bear Pro in-app subscription. Learn more below.
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB and more (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Quickly find what you need in Bear with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos. Use @files to find all notes with attachments
*USE IT EVERYWHERE*
A single Bear Pro subscription unlocks sync and other features across all your devices. Learn more below.
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We can’t see your notes, tags, or anything else
- Export some or all notes to open, portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle for the ultimate in portability—we don’t lock you in
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*UNLOCK ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (an 18% savings!)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
We'd love to answer your questions or just hear what you think about Bear. Find us online at:
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
Bear 1.6.14 is a small update with one big new under-the-hood feature: a revamped mobilizer for collecting web pages. Learn more about our updates and get a big bear hug of tips on our blog: https://blog.bear.app
If you enjoy using Bear, please leave a review! They really help. We’d also love to hear your thoughts and questions directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, on Twitter @BearNotesApp, on Reddit.com/r/BearApp, and Facebook/BearNotesApp
** Better saving of web articles**
Bear has grown smarter and faster when using our app extensions to collect articles from the web. Grabbing an article should be more accurate and more reliable on a wider range of web pages.
Parsing the web is a big task, though, and our new parser might still have trouble with some pages. If it does, please report these errors to us at bear.app/contact/ to help us continually improve this tool.
For those interested in the details: we previously used a tool called Mercury Parser to collect articles from the web. That tool shut down but open sourced their code. We used that as the base to create our own parser, then made a variety of changes and improvements.
Welcome to Bear 1.6: The Siri & Navigation Edition! We packed some great stuff in this release, including 14 new iMessage stickers!
Learn more at: blog.bear-writer.com
**Siri Shortcuts and Search**
- Create new notes on iOS with Siri and the beautiful sound of your voice
- Use Siri any time to search your notes, without opening Bear
- Go to Settings > Siri & Search > All Shortcuts to create your own custom Siri commands for Bear (and many other apps!)
- Two new Special Search triggers: use @date and @cdate in the search box to search by modification date and creation date, respectively
**Enhanced Note Navigation Mega Technology**
Tap the Editor with two fingers for our new Quick Nav to get around your notes more quickly:
- Tap to see a navigation menu to move to the beginning or end of the current note, or to the previous and next notes
- Two-finger swipe in any of those directions to skip the menu and navigate immediately
**Enhanced Header Linking Super Technology**
Tap or click on any H1-H6 header for a way to link to that specific note’s section from other notes. This is great for working across multiple long notes, creating a personal wiki, and so much more!
**Sync transparency for Bear Pro**
It’s 2018, but sync can still be hard. For Bear Pro users with sync, we’re making Bear more transparent about when it last synced and if there is anything causing trouble.
Bear will try to be clearer about what’s going on if there’s an error, whether it’s a Bear Pro registration problem, iCloud is out of space or not set up properly, a poor internet connection, or a good ol’ fashioned error.
Finally, if Bear ever runs into a sync conflict, it will now display affected notes in a “Conflicted” section in the Sidebar.
**Lots of Other Goodies**
- Bear now saves your scroll and cursor position when switching notes
- Dark Mode support for macOS Mojave!
- One new free theme for all users: Dark Graphite
- One new theme for Bear Pro customers: Duotone Heat, Inspired by Base2Tone Heath Light by Bram de Haan
- 16 new TagCons! Including world, prize, doctor, and various religions
- 14 new iMessage stickers from our amazing designer, Vic Bell, a.k.a. @vic_bell on Twitter
Let us know what you think of Bear 1.6 or how your latest writing project is going!
Ratings and Reviews
Super Brilliant and Exciting. Versatile and Brave.
So, before I wrote this I thought I’d have a look at the one star reviews because I wanted to see what it is that I am not seeing, where is the broken parts? It might be that BEAR have taken on board what people have said, because there is now a one off payment for the pro version so that’s some of these negatives already striked out. I find their Twitter team to be charming, responsive and super fun so the complaints about tech support are confusing to me. Other than that, people are marking this down for not being Apple Notes/Evernote/Day One [delete as applicable]. It’s not any of them. It doesn’t say it is. When you read the blurb, nowhere does it say “we are taking on the establishment head on”. So if you are expecting that then you will be disappointed.
If you are looking for a simple, easy to use, forever evolving, versatile, exciting note app then you will love this. You can have multi layer tags - for example Todo and then under that ‘to buy’, ‘to blog’, ‘to pack’ whatever. It syncs across devices instantly. If you create something with a tick list it will show you how far through your ticks you’ve got. Having used all the established names in the past I’ve got to say that this takes the best of all of them and makes it better. Multiple notebooks? Check. Copy off safari? Yup. Headings, fonts, lists? Oh yes. I love it, and I am super proud to be along for the journey of BEAR.
Absolutely brilliant, exactly what I have been wanting
Honestly I never write reviews because meh, but this app has made me want to write a review to tell you who ever is reading this and the creators how amazing this app is and how cleverly thought out it is. It literally does everything you could want. It’s like having a notebook that organises all your thoughts for you but in your hand in your device you carry with you at all times which makes it so convenient. Not only can you write diary entries or write a shopping list or even sketch up a quick idea in your head you can do it all in one “note”. This app is brilliant and I thank you for sharing your brilliant creation with us.
Oh also you can save your notes so if a random idea becomes something important and something you dont want to leave, there are many ways to keep the note/sketch/list etc. One way is by making it into a PDF and doing with it as you wish!! Amazing, thank you
Outstanding but missing handwriting support
This app is really a step above the rest. It is simple and focused and the hashtags work incredibly well to organise your content. With the ability to link notes you can create your knowledge base in next to no time. Shortcuts are easy to learn and within a few minutes you’ve learned how to use the app and fit it into your note taking style rather than the other way around.
It displays really well on iPhone, iPad and Mac and the themes are gorgeous.
Importing text from a webpage is incredibly useful for me. Export options are great too.
The only thing I miss is the ability to handwrite freely. Sure you can add sketches but it’s not the same thing... I think this is not the app for that.
I am currently in the trial period but will purchase the pro version as this is really good.
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 39.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro subscription £1.49
- Yearly Pro subscription £13.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.