Write in portable Markdown, encrypt your notes, sync notes, organize notes with nested tags, add sketches, pick a beautiful theme, export to a variety of formats
Bear is a focused, flexible notes app used by writers, lawyers, chefs, teachers, engineers, students, parents and more! Bear has quick organisation, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere and preserve your privacy with encryption.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes and lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required. Learn more below)
- Easily create notes with Siri and iOS Shortcuts
- Use Apple Watch to dictate and append to recent notes
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
- Use emoji autocomplete to add style to your tasks, journals, headings, and more
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB, and TextBundle (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
- Easily share your notes to any third party app including Wordpress, Mail, Sparkle, etc...
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Use Spotlight to search your notes from anywhere
- Quickly find what you need with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos.
*USE IT EVERYWHERE* with sync in Bear Pro
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We cannot see your notes, tags, or anything else
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you (Bear Pro required)
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required)
- Export notes to portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*ENABLE ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (save 18%)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
This update includes a variety of under-the-hood additions and fixes for a dozen odd bugs and behaviors. If we made Bear a little better for you, we’d really appreciate a rating or even a review in the store! They help us immensely.
* [Mac] In-note search is back inside the note window, even when a note is detached from the main app
* Use the new `OR` search operator to find all notes that contain either one of the search terms. For example: `Bear or panda` will find all notes that have the word “bear” or “panda”
* Bear now displays thumbnail previews for photos in Google’s WebP image format (iOS 14 or macOS 11 required)
* The TextBundle importer will now include non-image attachments
* 2 new Bear Pro themes! Nord and Lighthouse
* [Mac + iOS] Fixed a rare crash with Spotlight indexing and a possible cause of some app crashes
* [iOS] Fixed a bug that was making it impossible to open tags disclosures in some conditions
* [iOS] Fixed a glitch when managing notes in the Note List while the device is in landscape orientation
* [Mac + iOS] Fixed a rare widget memory usage bug to avoid sluggish app performance and a possible crash
* [Mac + iOS] Improved TextBundle export with a more memory-efficient assets generation. This should avoid memory usage spikes and a related crash
* [Mac] Fixed the browser extension sometimes not using the tag users specified in the “Web Content Preferences” setting
* [Mac] Fixed a problem with Bear’s window sometimes not closing with the ⌘W shortcut
* [Mac + iOS] Fixed a rare bug when linking notes and a note titles ends with `]`
* [Mac] The Quick Look attachment preview now respect the attachment order inside the note
* [Mac + iOS] Fixed the rendering of nested todo items in Single Note widgets
* [Mac + iOS] Improved management of many export options. Bear should leave fewer temporary files laying around
* ` /add-text` no longer adds a specified tag if it already exists in the target note
* Added base64 image support for `/create` and `/grab-url`
Ratings and Reviews
Steinbeck liked pencils, and Orwell had his trusty Remington typewriter. But us? We like Bear. It’s a writing app that’s as capable as the best of them—but doesn’t bury us in technical intricacies and toolbars. Linking notes is as easy as dropping a hashtag, and formatting your work is a total breeze. We especially love this Apple Design Award winner on iPad.
Super Brilliant and Exciting. Versatile and Brave.
So, before I wrote this I thought I’d have a look at the one star reviews because I wanted to see what it is that I am not seeing, where is the broken parts? It might be that BEAR have taken on board what people have said, because there is now a one off payment for the pro version so that’s some of these negatives already striked out. I find their Twitter team to be charming, responsive and super fun so the complaints about tech support are confusing to me. Other than that, people are marking this down for not being Apple Notes/Evernote/Day One [delete as applicable]. It’s not any of them. It doesn’t say it is. When you read the blurb, nowhere does it say “we are taking on the establishment head on”. So if you are expecting that then you will be disappointed.
If you are looking for a simple, easy to use, forever evolving, versatile, exciting note app then you will love this. You can have multi layer tags - for example Todo and then under that ‘to buy’, ‘to blog’, ‘to pack’ whatever. It syncs across devices instantly. If you create something with a tick list it will show you how far through your ticks you’ve got. Having used all the established names in the past I’ve got to say that this takes the best of all of them and makes it better. Multiple notebooks? Check. Copy off safari? Yup. Headings, fonts, lists? Oh yes. I love it, and I am super proud to be along for the journey of BEAR.
It’s probably the best productivity app you will buy…
I’m always on the search for the ultimate productivity tool. It’s a competitive sector and many ultimately disappoint. I tried Bear when it first came out, then left it. Recently I’ve returned and realised that Bear is that ultimate tool.
The combination of Markdown, iCloud sync and one payment across all platforms, allied to a beautiful interface and presentation of your work and ease of use makes this one of the most useful apps you can buy.
I’m not a big fan of subscription services but the price of the Pro subscription for all that flexibility does make it worthwhile.
I’ve just taken on a small admin job along side my normal work. It came with a cheap, plastic PC laptop and years of MS Word files and no particular organisation. I’ve started to use Bear to make some sense out of the chaos and move from Word to Markdown as the default format, exporting to PDF for documents which need to be seen externally. Putting one of the original Word documents side by side with the equivalent Bear version almost makes me laugh. How much of the world of work can put up with such archaic ugliness. Bear stands head and shoulders above. Brilliant app and lots more potential to come, I’m sure.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 68.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro subscription £1.49
- Yearly Pro subscription £13.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.